Miscellaneous Rumbles

Twin Peaks : The Return - Did You Watch It? Your Thoughts

NJ, okay if you watch it please don't leave any detail here because I'm waiting till it's actually on TV. Or you can leave detail I just will avoid this thread until after I watch it.

Johnathan thanks for not leaving detail.

NJ, okay if you watch it please don't leave any detail here because I'm waiting till it's actually on TV. Or you can leave detail I just will avoid this thread until after I watch it.

Johnathan thanks for not leaving detail.

– ThePolecats

Polecats, I did it and watched 3 and 4 On Demand. Do yourself a favor and watch 1 and 2 in completion. Then be very attentive to 3 and 4 as it is both fantastic and magical. Twin Peaks is back!

NJ, I finished watching 1 and 2 again in it's entirely and picked on somethings I missed the first time. Mighty fine episodes.

I look forward to the next installment. Yes indeed Twin Peaks is back.

I recorded it on the DVR but didn't watch it yet. Will watch today and rejoin tomorrow here.

I'm not trying to be a thorn in the side for those forum brothers who love the new Twin Peaks, but I hated the first 2 hours, I can't get myself to watch more.

...who knows, if I stumble over it.

I'm not trying to be a thorn in the side for those forum brothers who love the new Twin Peaks, but I hated the first 2 hours, I can't get myself to watch more.

...who knows, if I stumble over it.

– indianation65

No worries. I liked it though.

The best scene was when Bobby turned and we saw he was a Deputy. That was a shocker.

The first hour kept on reminding me of Eraserhead.

NJ, your thoughts???

Yes, the new TP is very "Eraserhead," and that movie was brutal back when I saw it.

In the big scheme, besides the first season of "Twin Peaks," I haven't liked much of Lynch's work.

Addendum: It is rarely mentioned, but the music, Angelo Badalamenti, and his soundtrack, made the show, but again, I'll watch if I stumble over a new episode.

...------

Indi, agreed the music is exceptional. Angelo Badalamenti's music really had a life of its own living within the confines of the series. Julee Cruise really was perfect for the show.

With the new show Season 3, it keeps me curious about what's next. Different than the series 1 and 2 but this new one I like because it bridges the old and new.

I guess Sherilyn Fenn will be up next episode???

Both my wife and I love the music that's shown in the new series, really digging the Cactus Blossoms' record, got ticket to see them at Johnny Brenda's in Philly. I love all David Lynch films and Twin Peaks so I'm enjoying the new series immensely. Sometimes the pace is a little slow but maybe there's a reason for that, its all in suspense.

I am. I'm up to episode six. I'm watching on hulu. I see episode seven has aired, but it seems like they're being released two at a time on hulu, rather than as they come out.

Dougie is wearing a little thin. I'm hoping the transition to Cooper starts making some more concrete progress soon.

I, too, am getting a little tired of the Dougie thing. I thought things were looking up last week with his wife telling off those gangsters, and then this week's action, but I'm losing interest in that storyline. I need some classic Coop.

Late to the conversation... but I'm a TP freak to the end.

The series hits its stride in Episode 7. And it hits it hard. The Briggs-body theory is borne out (good call, guys––the thought struck me, too, but I wasn't here to lay claim to it). Diane! Ike "The Spike"! Suggestions of vile, BOB-like past behavior on the part of DoppelCooper. The FWWM connections are getting stronger (and more disturbing). The show is slowly making its way back to Twin Peaks (the town), as well.

I'd seen a lot of griping about the series through Episode 6, but everything the critics were complaining about was stood on its head last night. Every single thing.

Indianation65, as for the leafless tree with a testicle (? or some manner of flesh bag) for a head: you may recall that the Little Man from Another Place from the original series (played by Michael J. Anderson) was later identified as "The Arm." And this tree was identified as "The Evolution of The Arm." It became pretty well-known in TP circles that Lynch/Frost intended for Anderson to reprise his role, but Anderson demanded way too much money to do so, and then he trashed Lynch in social media when the negotiations failed (really terrible personal accusations that were irrational rantings). Not a nice person. So I have this theory that the Evolution of The Arm is Lynch's eff-you to Anderson: "See? We can replace you with a plant." Just a theory, mind you.

The Black Lodge has required some workarounds, with Anderson jerking himself out of the picture and Frank Silva (BOB) and David Bowie (Phillip Jeffries) having passed away (although exactly how Jeffries fit into things was never clearly defined). It's rather much put Phillip Gerard front-and-center in the Lodge, and I just don't see him as compelling enough. I think we'll eventually see a Big Bad that we have not seen before.

"Hurry! Mother's coming!" You might want to bookmark that line from Episode 2.

Paul/FF909

I, too, am getting a little tired of the Dougie thing...I need some classic Coop.

This is Twin Peaks, so who knows? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he remains half supercop and half half-wit for most or all of the season.

I am. I'm up to episode six. I'm watching on hulu. I see episode seven has aired, but it seems like they're being released two at a time on hulu, rather than as they come out.

Dougie is wearing a little thin. I'm hoping the transition to Cooper starts making some more concrete progress soon.

– Afire

Lynch has a reason for this. Since you have not seen the latest episode I won't mention what Coop, I mean Dougie does that shows Coops true colors. We know it is Coop but of course those around him don't know he is Coop, not Dougie.

I, too, am getting a little tired of the Dougie thing...I need some classic Coop.

This is Twin Peaks, so who knows? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he remains half supercop and half half-wit for most or all of the season.

– Afire

I think not. Coop will be back in true form soon in upcoming episodes.

There are many ways this go go with Coop maybe not returning to full form until the last few episodes. Hawk and team will continue uncovering clues but the main theme is this:

There is strange presence in the woods and we first hear any character speak of it in Season 1 Ep. 4 while Cooper, Big Ed, and Truman are at the Diner and Harry talks about it. The killing of Laura Palmer, Theresa Banks, the way Leland met Bob when Bob was living, the evil that Bob and Mike did while Bob was alive and Mike kept his arm........it all leads to Frost and Lynch wanting to a supernatural/multi-dimensional realm where physical reality coexists with spiritual and other ways of being we have not lived yet......somewhere past the 3rd dimension on another plane.

Major Briggs was leading the efforts and he may have discovered too much. We know Windom Earle did. There are so many layers and backstories. The history of Carl Rodd and The Log Lady and the feuding old brothers. Frost's book released October '16 dives into this very deep via the eyes of Tamara Preston who discovered a dossier filled with secrets......secrets that revolve heavily around lore, the ring, and forces beyond.

Enjoy the ride folks as what we are seeing are not so much as episodes but rather 1 hour viewings progressively through one 18 hour movie. It is a place both strange and fascinating!

Got a light?

Got a light?

– Otter

Yeah that was creepy.

They chose a great song for that scene -

Last night was the Big Bang episode.

It was the most astonishing hour of television I've ever seen.

Paul/FF909

I think that episode was basically the halftime show. Not a lot of substance, some star-power music, and a lot of visual stimulation. Looking forward to the second half.

I think that episode was basically the halftime show. Not a lot of substance, some star-power music, and a lot of visual stimulation. Looking forward to the second half.

– Otter

Interesting way to look at it. Now that you mention it I think that's true about it being like a half time show.

Not a lot of substance? Sunday night you saw:

1. That the atom bomb test in New Mexico in 1947 created a gateway that allowed BOB and the Black Lodge into our reality. And you saw Mother.

2. The White Lodge for the first time, and that the Giant is a resident of it. (We've always suspected he was one of the good guys.)

3. The White Lodge sent Laura Palmer to our reality to counter BOB.

4. A largely inexplicable frogbug that could be the nascent BOB, or it could be related to Laura Palmer, or it could be something else. But it's definitely something and not of no consequence.

5. Bad Cooper being shot, then being attended to (resuscitated?) by woodsmen from the Black Lodge; but what did they do to him? Some people think they excised BOB from him, leaving the "real" Dale Cooper. Maybe not. But again, it was not an insignificant event.

6. "Got a light?" No telling, no telling. Perhaps we'll see the MC again; if not, his terrifying actions in that scene will lead to something.

7. The convenience store, as referenced by Phillip Jeffries in Fire Walk With Me. And we hear an ongoing connection to Jeffries, in Ray's phone call to him after shooting Coop. The mystery nags: how does Jeffries fit into everything?

Overall, we are seeing that the central struggle in Twin Peaks is much bigger than it originally appeared.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation