Miscellaneous Rumbles

Twin Peaks : The Return - Did You Watch It? Your Thoughts

I know there are some Twin Peaks fans here at the GDP so curious did you watch the Twin Peaks : The Return (Season 3)?

What did you think?

I enjoyed it a lot. It was engaging to say the least. I look forward to the next episode.

It was Lynch at his finest. Colorful characters, lots of noise and sounds, plots and sub plots, mysteries in almost every scene.

I enjoyed the closing of the episode with the band on stage. Not sure who she is but I suppose she's what Julee Cruise was to the Seasons 1 and 2 and Fire Walk With Me, is to this new Season. The guitarist was playing a Gretsch, I recall it's black but not sure the model. Black Falcon? Electromatic?

Edit - This is the song and band but no scene from their performance. Excellent song. Throwbacks to the 80s -

I mentioned it in my quick, no details review of "Alien Covenant" in the "Prometheus" topic.

I said I love "Alien Covenant," and that I absolutely hated "Twin Peaks."

I truly loved the old Season 1, not Season 2, and that "Fire Walk With Me" was decent, but this new 2-hour movie I watched on Sunday, I thought was brutal.

We all have our opinions. I obviously missed what you got from it.

...------

indian, ever though you hated Episode 1 of Season 3, are you going to watch the next episode to see if it gets better?

What I got from it was wanting to know more now about the next episode. Makes me wonder what's up with the alternate universe version of Dale Cooper. Is that Special Agent Cooper with long hair or his dopplinger in another alternate universe or what the heck is with that. Brilliant. What's with the North Dakota connection? They give little clues but I really want to know. It's very different than Seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM or course but there will never be another original Twin Peaks but I'll take this for what it is, different but a continuation with more mysteries.

Lynch had his way. He said he was originally going to do this then about 6 months later he backed out saying he couldn't do it right with the budget he was presented with, but later he came on-board, so he got his way with the budget I suppose.

It was interesting to see what goes on 25 years later though. I didn't know what to expect but all I figured was there would be some tie into Laura Palmer but of course they couldn't base it solely on that since the mystery of Laura Palmer was solved 25 years ago.

Too bad some of the actors are no gone. I loved Major Briggs but sadly Don Davis is deceased. The Log Lady looked so sickly it was said since she had cancer at the time of the filming and shortly thereafter passed away. She was not acting, she was ill. Miguel Ferrer has passed but not sure if he got any scenes in before he died or if he's not in it at all. Michael Ontkean Sheriff Truman, still alive and not in it. Jack Nance, RIP, too bad for him. He was great as Pete. Piper Laurie is retired from acting and in her 80s. Ever see pictures of her when she was young during the golden age of Hollywood back in the '50s? She was cute. As Catherine she was devious.

Original choice for Sheriff Truman, Robert Forrester is in it now. Sad, Ontkean was great as the sheriff and believable as a Sheriff from the Pacific Northwest. What did Ben Horne call Sheriff Truman, a Washed Up Lumberjack or something? LOL. Ontkean can pass as one.

I am a huge Twin Peaks fan and it's my favorite TV show ever. Season 1 was brilliant, Season 2 had an excellent start and then felt rushed when ABC demanded that the story wrap-up who killed Laura Palmer. Lynch and frost abided, but highly regretted and even Lynch considers most of Season 2 garbage.

I love what I saw of season 3 so far. We have our answer: Cooper's doppleganger is in the world while Agent Cooper is confined to the Black Lodge. I though it was brilliant and expounds on the true nature of how David Lynch tells a story. I know many people just wanted the "damn fine cup of coffee and cherry pie" formula but we know that couldn't happen with the how Season 2 ended an the twist of reality/violence/dark undertones of "Fire Walk With Me".

I'm sad that the Agent Cooper has been trapped for this long. I think if Bowie's Agent Jeffries sub story had been expanded upon in FWWM, then we would have a better idea of what to expect in season 3. Also after reading Frost's book, the whole plot is to eventually better understand the power in woods/region of Twin Peaks and the areas surrounding it.

But fans should remember that all 18 episodes are filmed as one continuous movie and that that what aired Sunday night is just the small introduction to that movie. I though it was fantastic and cannot wait until this coming Sunday.

On Wiki, it mentioned reception of Season 3 was fairly good basically from the first two episodes. I must have missed something because I only got to see Episode 1. I didn't think they showed Episode 2 as of yet. I have to check that out and DVR it.

Yes about Coop and the Black Lodge but I want to see more about what's that all about. Maybe Episode 2 reveals more about that or many I have to watch Episode 2 again since I have it on the DVR.

Polecats- It infers that Ontkean's Truman is still alive but sick(Lucy tells the insurance salesman this) and that "the other" Shriff is out fishing we I expect is Robert Forrester. There was also a point in the new opening that Major Briggs is alive as well as Jeffries. Will these characters be played off-screen as both Bowie and Davis have passed away?

Miguell Ferrer is in it and filmed all of his scenes before he passed. Think many fans have to remember that we know of the strange "hell" Jeffries was going through and seemingly did not have control of his own presence in the space time continuum. The same fate may lay ahead for Agent Cooper. Watch the Bowie see when he returns to FBI headquarters in FWWM and watch the deleted scenes. Remember that Jeffries seems to know something about Cooper's fate in FWWM. What we saw Sunday night very much supports this and looks to dive in even further.

Also, the Gretsch is a black filtertron equipped Electromatic.

NJ, I recall when the visitor was looking for Sheriff Truman and Lucy said which Sheriff Truman as one is ill. Yes I recall them mentioning Major Briggs.

Don Davis was really in the military but during the Vietnam War and stationed in Korea at the time so I think his military experience really added a touch of reality from that.

Some say Ontkean is fully retired from acting that's why he's not in it but some say otherwise since he spent hours looking for the original jacket he wore and when he couldn't find it he had one made up for probably some big bucks. Kyle M said in an interview that he was not sure why Ontkean was not in it, or maybe he's not talking, who knows.

I will watch FWWM again. I don't own it but I can Netflix it or see if it's on HBO or something. I never understood that Bowie scene. Very odd. By the way the FBI office scene in Portland if I recall it was supposed to be set there is actually gone and destroyed. A building was built in place of it.

I'll probably give the next episode a try, but I'm sure it will feel and look like the first one, and if so, I probably won't make it.

The arm-tree was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen/watched in a movie. Again, it's all opinion.

Addendum: I truly have a hard time considering Lynch a film genius with the body of work he's done.

...------

By the way I have seen Kimmy Robertson who played Lucy Moran, a couple of times. I saw her at Costco in Alhambra (CA) and saw her in Pasadena at Arroyo Secco park in Pasadena. In the park she was on her cell phone, this was about two years ago, not sure if she was talking to Lynch, her agent, some actor or just a friend or relative because I was not eves doping. Just I saw her on her phone and heard her talk but from a distance and didn't want to follow her around and scare her and eavesdrop. She had her dog with her and if I recall she drives a white Land Rover or Range Rover.

Ontkean is fully retired and you are right, he was looking for the jacket but that was when he was contacted by Lynch and initially agreed. Months later he retracted and said that he would stick to retirement.

Lucy actually asked "which Sheriff Truman" to the salesman. She said one is ill and the other is out fishing.

The Bowie scene is to be a conduit for those who have advnaced access to the Black Lodge and the power behind it. However, the power controls Jeffries and it seemingly drives him mad. I believe that that is the same fate of Windom Earle. In Season 2, Briggs expounded on Earle's work with Project Blue Book, his recording where he talks about the Black Lodge and then Earle's dive into madness.

I'll probably give the next episode a try, but I'm sure it will feel and look like the first one, and if so, I probably won't make it.

The arm-tree was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen/watched in a movie. Again, it's all opinion.

Addendum: I truly have a hard time considering Lynch a film genius with the body of work he's done.

...------

– indianation65

Of course it is all subjective and most people's liking/understanding of the Season 3 is contingent on Lynch's style(which you let us know your thoughts of) and the structure of other films like Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Fire Walk With Me, Inland Empire, and Lost Highway.

It seems you liked Twin Peaks Season 1 for a specific reason but did not invest in the whole story and that comes down to what one has an appetite for. There is a deep supernatural undertone and the formula of all the ingredients just may not be your cup of tea.

I for one love it and eager to continue my ride on the new journey.

I was hoping for a bit more of the campy "damn fine cup of coffee" cuteness of the original, but with 18 episodes, there may be some of that to come. It was always the mixture of the innocence and darkness that was so brilliant about TP. Last night was pure Lynchian darkness. Very intriguing, but needs some balance.

I think the first episode was episodes 1 and 2. It was an unbroken 1:51 run time, but the credits clearly broke it up into parts i and ii.

Shelly, played by Madchen Amick is looking good. Looking forward to Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey. I guess she's gonna just be in one episode I think if I recall from what I read. Lara Flynn Boyle is not returning to Twin Peaks. She hasn't had a credit for a role in a few years. Sherilyn Fenn in an interview said Boyle was a very complex person and implied she was difficult and was upset Sherilyn got a bigger role than was supposed to and got a lot of attention, maybe more than Boyle. Well who looks better? Yes we know that answer so of course she got more attention. Too bad for Lara.

James Marshall looks a lot different but it's been 25 years plus some prescription med he took did a number on him and caused bad health for the guy, sadly enough.

Otter, thanks for clearing that up. So at least I didn't miss any episodes since they were together. Seemed like a movie more than an episode of a series. Just my opinion.

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm curious to see if all the references to numbers are ever explained. The one that I haven't seen anyone talk about is the choice of song while Dougie/Dale is eating breakfast...."Take Five" by Dave Brubeck. Also...I'm pretty sure that the headless John Doe is going to turn out to be Major Briggs.

Jonathan, the headless John Doe being Major Briggs theory sounds like a clever theory. Now that you mention it I would not be surprised. That's a good theory, I never thought of that. I bet you are right.

Jonathan, the headless John Doe being Major Briggs theory sounds like a clever theory. Now that you mention it I would not be surprised. That's a good theory, I never thought of that. I bet you are right.

– ThePolecats

That is a great theory and have to admit the thought of it zoomed right by me. It seems that I look so hard for the obscure when it comes to all things David Lynch that I don't account for all possibilities.

Has anyone seen episodes 3 and 4? I thought we had to wait until next Sunday night but many of the the Facebook forums have seen it (which I skip right over t avoid any spoilers). Right before I went to the gym, my wife said they are available on Showtime On Demand but I'm wondering how the hell could something be on a channel's On Demand when it hasn't officially aired yet? Well, I just got home so I'll check it out now.

Otter- the flavor of Twin Peaks you liked turned with the subject matter. Some forcibly by ABC's demand which took Frost and Lynch off guard and then cemented by Fire Walk With Me. Frost's book that came out October '16 sealed the darker tones that I think will now be the standard, but..........there is a long way yet to travel down the path so we shall see!

Too bad Mark Frost father, Warren Frost, who played Doc Hayward, Donna's dad, died recently.

Episodes 3/4 I thought as you did we have to wait. I'll just wait I suspose rather than search it out.

Too bad Mark Frost father, Warren Frost, who played Doc Hayward, Donna's dad, died recently.

Episodes 3/4 I thought as you did we have to wait. I'll just wait I suspose rather than search it out.

– ThePolecats

I guess I'll wait it out too as it will build a positive tension and something to really look forward to. Michael Parks who played Jean Renault also died recently....a few weeks ago.

Didn't know Michael Parks had died. That's sad.

Jacques Renault won't be in it unless there is some strange time travel sequence since his character was smothered to death. Well the actor who played him Walter Olkewicz has in recent years suffered so much bad health that he went broke over his health issues and hasn't acted much.

Any of you ever go up to Washington to North Bend where it was filmed? The pilot was filmed up there and maybe some of FWWM was but the regular series episodes were filmed mostly down there on sound stages and in the Hollywood Hills or Pasadena and so forth.

I been up to North Bend and saw Ronette's Bridge before they butchered it. The Sheriff station at Weyerhauser, went to the Double R but it had burnt up a year earlier and remodeled and looked campy. My wife got the Cherry Pie and Coffee and did say it was really good but not sure if was as good as on Twin Peaks when Coop raved about it. Saw that huge mountain behind the town too. A beautiful place North Bend. Too bad they don't rename it Twin Peaks.

By the way about 1990 my dad and I went to our local mountains in So Cal. There is a place up here called Twin Peaks and I took notice of that although I knew the series that's why I took notice but I was not into the show back then. Hadn't watched it until 1993 when Bravo channel showed the series in reruns (of course reruns) and they added the Log Lady doing an opening seen to creep those of us out who were first time watchers of the show. That was eerie to see her do that dialogue in the beginning. That was added, as the original showing on ABC didn't have that dialogue with the Log Lady. Nice touch.

Polecats- I just watched he scene where "Bad" Cooper is in the motel and just shot Darya. The phone conversation he has very much alludes to a recent "interaction" the caller knows he had with Major Briggs. Could he be alluding to killing him? Pretty cool to the theory. Watch it if you can as it is close to the end of episode 2.

Here's a weird one for you that needs some explaining. Walter Olkewicz played Jacques Renault, the younger brother of Parks' Jean Renault. However, Walter is seen tending bar at the Roadhouse and is credited at the end as Jacques Renault. However, that cannot be since Leland killed Jacques in the hospital in Season 2. Very odd.

Yes I recall the Major Briggs reference on the phone. I did watch Episode 1 again but stopped at some point to do some stuff. I will continue on thru the whole 1 and Episode 2. I needed to watch it again to get some things that I missed.

Oh man, I thought I saw Walter Olkewicz tending bar but I thought maybe it wasn't really him but an actor like him. Okay so they are pulling some typically weird stuff here. Can't wait to finish watching the rest of 1 and 2 again and Episodes 3 and 4.

Yes I recall the Major Briggs reference on the phone. I did watch Episode 1 again but stopped at some point to do some stuff. I will continue on thru the whole 1 and Episode 2. I needed to watch it again to get some things that I missed.

Oh man, I thought I saw Walter Olkewicz tending bar but I thought maybe it wasn't really him but an actor like him. Okay so they are pulling some typically weird stuff here. Can't wait to finish watching the rest of 1 and 2 again and Episodes 3 and 4.

– ThePolecats

Yeah, it was definitely weird see Walter and knowing his health is not great I wish him the best. I'm juiced up about this new season and might just go against my word about waiting to see 3 and 4. If it is On Demand(I still have not confirmed it yet) I might just have to pull the trigger and watch it!

Register Sign in to join the conversation