Miscellaneous Rumbles

Trip advice: Nashville/Memphis OR New Orleans?

After many discussions, and schedule checking, and weather checking, it looks like...

NOLA. Frenchman St. My best friend just came back from there, with great reports!

(we have seen the Quarter, but apparently Frenchmen is a whole 'nuther town!)

November, so high of 72F: perfect.

I think the big difference between Bourbon and Frenchmen is that the really drunk tourists don't veer off Bourbon St, but that might just be my experience. It's still a big, wonderful mess, with great music on the streets, in the bars and clubs, pretty much everywhere you turn.

Oh, we've done Bourbon St... on our first trip there, back before Katrina. Everyone (musicians) I talk too say the REAL music and food is over on Frenchman. And since we didn't even know about Frenchman the first trip, that's perfect.

My good friend had been 4-5 times, and while she's not a musician she is a music lover and foodie, she flew back from NOLA last night, she also said Frenchman is where it's at.

New Orleans air will be pretty thick and hot by late May.

I just realized it's been 25 years since I was last in New Orleans (a night that ended on a particularly memorable rooftop). I need to go again.

Memphis is a one-night stay, as far as I'm concerned.

New Orleans air will be pretty thick and hot by late May.

I just realized it's been 25 years since I was last in New Orleans (a night that ended on a particularly memorable rooftop). I need to go again.

Memphis is a one-night stay, as far as I'm concerned.

– Baxter

November (look a couple posts up ) [wink]- emojis do not work for me on this forum for some reason...

Man, there is so much great info here - I will likely be in NOLA in October.

Tim, thank you for taking the time to type all of that out. It gave me a healthy toke of nostalgia for the Crossroads Roundup.

I agree that Memphis is a 1-nighter.

Nashville? I liked my 4 months there and remember bumping into former NJ Devil Claude Loiselle at an Italian restaurant. He actually approached me as I was waiting for my Uber at the bar watching some of the Islanders/Rangers game (I don't know why it was airing in Nashville).....I had been there for a business dinner. He asked me who I wanted to win and I told him I was a Devils fan and just wanted to catch the game and then he introduced himself... We had a few beers and thought it was cool I had a drink with a former player I used to watch. He was doing some scouting and worked with Islanders front office management.

I would choose New Orleans though. The vibe, the music, and I love the food!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation