Miscellaneous Rumbles

TOP TAMBOURINE PLAYERS!!

I don't know if this list can be finished, but here goes...

1. Susan Dey (Partridge Family)

2. Davey Jones (the Monkees)

3. Michelle Phillips (the Mamas & the Papas)

4. Stevie Nicks

5. Ringo(I'm guessing)

6.?

Are there more?

Linda McCartney?

Mick Jagger?

I have a similar problem with my "Five best Kazoo players" list.

Somewhere in Sgt. Pepper and a Queen number, I remember, but my mind don't work so swell no more.

Maybe Spike Jones? Maybe a top kids TV show featuring puppets in the late 40s early 50s?

I dunno.

Jon Anderson is a consummate tambourinist.

There is only one. Airto Moreira gets more music out of a pandeiro (Brazilian tambourine) than many drummers do out of a whole kit. Turn it up and check out his badness!

Betty Cooper...(i.e. Archie comics)

Just one.

Grace Potter

Jack Ashford too.

With...

Johnny Taylor Carla Thomas Rufus Thomas The Soul Children Candie Staton Barry White The Mighty Clouds of Joy The Osmonds Johnny Mathis Boz Scaggs Bob Seager Parlament Funkadelics New Edition The Whispers Ray Parker Jr. Bobbie Brown Rose Royce The Capitols Undisputed Truth Honey Cones Chaka Khan Lenny Williams Barbara McNair Liz Lands Fantastic Four Valerie Simpson San Remo & Golden Strings Michael Jackson Aaron Neville Starr Guard Kenny Gamble Marvin Gaye Diana Ross Smokey Robinson The Four Tops Gladys Knight & The Pips Martha Reeves Luther Vandross Johnny Bristol Thelma Houston The Monitors Marvelettes Tammi Terrell Jimmy Ruffin The Spinners Bobby Womack Bobby "Blue" Bland Dorothy Norwood Glass House Edwin Starr

Bill Withers Jeno Parks Hattie Little Dusty Springfield Yvonne Fair Frankie Crocker The Jackson Five Sam & Dave Donna Summer Willie Hutch Stevie Wonder The Supremes Shorty Long The Miracles The Temptations Jr. Walker Mary Wells The O'Jays The Contours The Originals Isley Brothers Velvelettes Marv Johnson Eddie Kendricks Star Guard

Jon Anderson is a consummate tambourinist.

– Proteus

He's made this month's cover of Prog Tambourinist

Once again, I gotta nominate a great punk/indie musician from the Pacific Northwest: Emily Nokes of Tacocat.

Once again, I gotta nominate a great punk/indie musician from the Pacific Northwest: Emily Nokes of Tacocat.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

More than this chick?

I don't know if this list can be finished, but here goes...

1. Susan Dey (Partridge Family)

2. Davey Jones (the Monkees)

3. Michelle Phillips (the Mamas & the Papas)

4. Stevie Nicks

5. Ringo(I'm guessing)

6.?

Are there more?

Linda McCartney?

Mick Jagger?

– crowbone

Nerd Alert--

Susan Dey "played" electric piano on The Partridge Family... Suzanne Crough "played" tambourine.

So there.

lets not forget the real actual mr. tambourine man!!! of dylan song fame...

the late great bruce langhorne..he was also an incredible guitar/stringed instrument player

here he is with fred neil, felix pappalardi and jack nitzsche...good crowd!!

rip bl

cheers

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been split into skinned and open frame tambourines.

What's next? Accordions? Kazoos? Swinettes?

Nerd Alert--

Susan Dey "played" electric piano on The Partridge Family... Suzanne Crough "played" tambourine.

So there.

– Tartan Phantom

Get out of my teenage fantasies!!!

The best tambourine player of all is, of course, Joel Gion of the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

+1 for Jack Ashford of The Funk Brothers. You've heard him on scores of Motown records from the early and mid-60s.

EDDIE BRIGATI w/The Rascals gets my vote.

Here he's pulling double duty... tambourine in one hand and maracas in the other.

Ray Cooper

– Bob Howard

Definately Ray Cooper!

Btw: how he did the 'gonna smash that gong'-thing was brilliant!

+1 for Jack Ashford of The Funk Brothers. You've heard him on scores of Motown records from the early and mid-60s.

– Dave_K

THIS!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation