Miscellaneous Rumbles

Top Five Favorite Guitarists

Name them in order. Here's mine.

1 Chet Atkins 2 Eric Johnson 3 SRV 4 Steve Vai 5 Jeff Beck

Remember, not who you think are the best but your top five to listen to and watch perform.

1: Chet, #2 Bob Dennis, #3 Hank Garland, #4 Paul Yandell, #5 Django.
  1. John Lennon

2. Scotty Moore

3. Will Sergeant (Echo And The Bunnymen)

That's it, really. I am not a guitar hero type of guy. The song is what is important to me rather than gymnastics on the fretboard.

1. John Fogerty
  2. Joe Walsh
  3. Brian Setzer
  4. Mike Campbell
  5. Eddie Perez

Not in any order though... just 5.

1. Eddie Cochran
  2. Cliff Gallup
  3. Scotty Moore
  4. Paul Pigat
  5. Grady Martin

With honorable mention to James Burton, Duane Eddy, Elmore James, Reggie Young, Roland Janes, Carl Perkins and Darrel Higham.

1.Johnny Marr

2.Jimmy Page

3.Nick Drake

4.Geordie Walker

5.Barney Kessel

I like Scotty Moore and Cliff Gallup but the fellows above were a bigger influence and remain so.

Jimi Hendrix

Gordon Giltrap

Brian May

Steve Howe

Jimmy Page

The order changes depending on my mood...the nature of “favorite”.

Chet Atkins

Django Reinhardt

Mark Knopfler

John Fogerty

Waddy Wachtel

Here's my list of professional players. The players are notable as being leaders who successfully developed their own signature styles and sounds that many copied.

There's a litany of players beyond this list that would be hard to list in order of preference, but would be amongst a large group I enjoy listening to.

Chet Atkins

Lenny Breau

Merle Travis

Jerry Reed

Robert Johnson

I would like to give an honorary shout out to two members, who, I believe most of us appreciate their talents. We have Andrew from Australia who produces many mighty fine videos, through an inspirational amount of practicing!! and Paul (Taffy) who's Jerry Reed incarnate! He can write Jerry Reed style tunes like no other on earth....as well as play them!! and has developed a signature sound of his own, particularly using his custom nylon string.....you know for sure who's playing!

It depends on which day you ask.

Today:

1. Joe Pass
  2. Herb Ellis
  3. Junior Barnard
  4. Grady Martin
  5. Tony Rice

Tomorrow’s list might start with Norman Blake or Dan Crary.

4.Geordie Walker

Ah, there's a great one. Great riffs and, of course, the great sound. Really great sound.

Pete Townsend Warner Hodges Johnny Thunders Johnny Ramone Alex Leifson

Guess my age

John Reis aka Swami aka Speedo. His playing in Drive like Jehu would have placed him in my tops list, but seeing him with Hot Snakes frantically pouring with sweat while destroying the venue and never missing a beat was an eye opener.

Ken Bethea. I liked the first two Old 97's albums but when Too far to care hit it blew me away. The new album has brought back some of that energy and now he's playing a reverb drenched gretsch and it sounds fantastic. I like that "good with god" single.

Toss up between early Jam era Paul Weller and early Gang of four era Andy Gill

Billy Childish has taught me more about attitude while playing. He floors me with his primitive agression.

Brian Connelly. I friggin love Shadowy Men.

Kenny Burrell, Charlie Byrd, Emily Remler, Ray Crawford, Barry Galbraith.

In no particular order:

Glen Campbell

Chet Atkins

Mark Knopfler

Randy Bachman

MIchael May

And, as they say at the beginning of Rocky & Bullwinkle- "...a host of others!"

Hillel Slovak

Andy Gill

D. Boon

Richard Thompson

Adrian Belew

Well.........predominantly being a bassist,

1- Paul McCartney

2- Geddy Lee

3- Peter Gifford (Midnight Oil)

4- Sting

5- Greg McCainsh (Skyhooks)

.............but if we’re talking guitarists,

1- Jim Moginie (Midnight Oil)

2- Mike Campbell

3- Reg Mombassa (Mental As Anything/Dog Trumpet)

4- Alex Lifeson

5- Neil Young

Great topic, hard to pick top five but here it goes in no particular order

1> Johnny Marr

2> Scotty Moore

3> Franny Beecher

4> Billy Zoom

5> Elliot Easton

Being an old soul at 12, I guess the 5 players that inspired me to play anything beyond «cowboy chords» were Hank Marvin, George Harrison, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt and Brian Setzer. Norwegian Øystein Sunde should also be in there, but I guess not many of the GDP'ers know who he is anyway...

Anders

Being an old soul at 12, I guess the 5 players that inspired me to play anything beyond «cowboy chords» were Hank Marvin, George Harrison, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt and Brian Setzer. Norwegian Øystein Sunde should also be in there, but I guess not many of the GDP'ers know who he is anyway...

Anders

– gretschoholic

Great call on Hank Marvin, Les Paul and Brian Setzer. Well good call on all the ones you chose. If it was a Top 10 list I would definitely put in Hank Marvin and Brian Setzer. Fivs is hard to chose from. I think if there was a two Top 5 guitar list (I know that makes 10) I'd have Brian Setzer and Hank Marvin on this list. Add to that Nokie but I won't go there.

I'm liking this question. Great responses.

Mark Knopfler

Larry Carlton

Glen Campbell

Craig Chaquico

Doyle Dykes

Bill Nelson

Richard Thompson

Brian Setzer

Johnny Winter

Ulrich Roth

Jerry Garcia, Neil Young, Richard Thompson, Kevin Shields, and i don't know, Vini Reilly? John Cippolina? Stephen Stills?

My favorites to listen to - Bo Diddley Hubert Sumlin Elmore James Chuck Berry John Lee Hooker

As an honourable mention Pat Hare during his time with Junior Parker-

1. Chuck Berry
  2. George Harrison
  3. Keith Richards
  4. Jimi Hendrix
  5. Jimmy Page

Register Sign in to join the conversation