Miscellaneous Rumbles

Took a ride on a B-17 Flying Fortress

Very sorry to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers for those involved in, and affected by the crash.

At least 5 fatalities so far. Lost #3 engine on takeoff (they were working on that engine that day I went up in her), pilots tried to make it back to field. One of the biggest mistakes you make. From everything I have read over the years, engine failure on takeoff (even tho she had 4), and then trying to make it back to the field without enough altitude, is likely the biggest killer in civil aviation.

Land on a highway, in a field, but DON'T TRY TO MAKE IT BACK TO THE RUNWAY UNLESS YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH ALTITUDE.

https://www.12news.com/arti...

Such a tragedy in so many ways. Bad enough to lose an engine but on take off, everything happens so fast there's no time to recover. So sad.

One of my best friends, my co-worker for twenty years and the person who married Joyce and me, died in that crash today. More later. This is surreal.

Zig- So very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences.

My condolences for your loss, Greg.

That's awful, Greg. My sympathies.

So very sorry to hear this, Zig. That is awful.

So sad Zig. My heart goes out to you.

It is heartwrenching to have enjoyed how this thread started only for it to turn to such a tragedy. My condolences to Zigracer for his loss and to ruger9 for having been so closely related to this plane and it's operators.

They still haven't released/identified all the victims.... I have to believe the 3 Collings Foundation crew (pilot, co-pilot, engineer), all perished, as the engineer on my flight was standing right behind to 2 pilots for takeoff and landing. And likely those who were sitting right behind the pilots (where I sat during takeoff), and in the radio room (right behind the pilot/top turret compartment). I am guessing the guys back in the waist (back by the guns, to the rear of the bomb bay) were the 6 survivors.

It's just heartbreaking. I did not "know" the crew, I spent about 45 minutes with the engineer, including the 30min flight. I told my wife "he's got about the coolest job in the world, working on and flying in the old warbirds for a living." It's just a very strange feeling knowing they are no longer here, even tho I didn't know them. Everyone keeps telling me "you are so lucky", "thank God you weren't on it", etc... but all I can think about is why I am still here, and they are not. It's really bizarre. I won't insult veterans or Collings Foundation crew or the families of the victims by saying it feels like I lost crew members, but I have a very small taste of what it must have felt like for people you knew, even just briefly, to not come back... if you multiply what I'm feeling x100.

It probably doesn't help that one of my best friends went in ICU the day before, with late stage cirrhosis.... it's been a shitty week.

Watching the press conference. It's confirmed all 3 Collings crew members were killed. Including the flight engineer who was on my flight. He's the only Collings crew member I had any interaction with. RIP Mitch Melton, 34 years old.

Very sad. My condolences, Greg.

I'm so sorry to hear, Greg.

I flew in that particular plane many years ago. It's a loss for America on so many levels.

Sorry to hear about this Greg. What a loss for all concerned.

Watching the press conference. It's confirmed all 3 Collings crew members were killed. Including the flight engineer who was on my flight. He's the only Collings crew member I had any interaction with. RIP Mitch Melton, 34 years old.

– ruger9

Actually, Ruger, Mitch Melton is identified as having survived with injuries. Perhaps he can help explain what went wrong.

However, the two pilots perished in the crash.

Link to a story about the crash from only an hour ago

Actually, Ruger, Mitch Melton is identified as having survived with injuries. Perhaps he can help explain what went wrong.

However, the two pilots perished in the crash.

Link to a story about the crash from only an hour ago

– geoguy

I watch the press conference at 2:30 PM, and they identified him as deceased with the two pilots ???

Here's a more-detailed story about the people on board. Mitch Melton is definitely listed as a survivor (toward the end of the story), in case that eases your mind a little.

Link

And zigracer, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend.

Well, someone got something wrong... the press conference today started by listing all 3 Collings crew members as fatalities, by name and age. 7 dead is 7 dead, regardless of who they are... but someone got something wrong.

This is an awful ending to the thread, that started out by celebrating a joyful flight, on an historical aircraft. Please accept my sincere condolences, Zigracer, for the loss of your dear friend. My heartfelt condolences to ruger9 as well, for a bad event that is now linked to what was such a wonderful day.

These things are terrible when they happen. It really brings home just how precious human life is. I feel sad for the families and friends of the people lost in this crash.

Yes, it turns out the CT State Police got it wrong at the press conference... as shown above, Mitch did live. He's in bad shape, in ICU and in & out of surgery all day the day of the crash. I can't believe the SP would make such a terrible mistake like that. I guess it shouldn't surprise me- it is, after all, government.

Just waiting now to find out what happened.... the pilot had over 7500 hours in that plane, and they did make it back to the field. Apparently clipped some ILS antennas just before touchdown, which would mean they didn't have enough altitude? Came in too low? Whether by mechanical failure or by pilot error.... unless something additionally happened, like an undercarriage malfunction of some kind (which is what happened in t's 1987 crash).

Just awful.

Register Sign in to join the conversation