Miscellaneous Rumbles

This will take a lot of us back….

This terrific little poem puts things in perspective regarding life from a past and less busy/complicated time. Enjoy a stroll down memory lane.

I remember the corned beef of my Childhood, And the bread that we cut with a knife, When the Children helped with the housework, And the men went to work, not the wife.   The cheese never needed a fridge, And the bread was so crusty and hot, The Children were seldom unhappy, And the Wife was content with her lot.   I remember the milk from the bottle, With the yummy cream on the top, Our dinner came hot from the oven, And not from a freezer or shop.   The kids were a lot more contented, They didn't need money for kicks, Just a game with their friends in the road or backyard And sometimes the Saturday flicks.

I remember the shop on the corner, Where biscuits for pennies were sold Do you think I'm a bit too nostalgic? Or is it, I'm just getting Old?   Bathing was done  in a wash tub, With plenty of rich foamy suds But the ironing seemed never ending As Mum pressed everyone's 'duds'.   I remember the slap on my backside, And the taste of soap if I swore Anorexia and diets weren't heard of And we hadn't much choice what we wore.   Do you think that bruised our ego? Or our initiative was destroyed? We ate what was put on the table And I think life was better enjoyed.   Author,  Unknown...

That's all familiar, Dave. Everything was still in black and white then....

That's all familiar, Dave. Everything was still in black and white then....

– wabash slim

Glad you like it. It would also be a good addition to my thread I started last year that was so popular entitled "Things you don't see anymore."

When I pasted this poem in this new post [and if I click on edit], it shows properly, split up line by line but then it doesn't come through that way on the post. That's annoying and frustrating as I see no way to correct what the website has done with my submission.

I REALLY MISS THOSE DAYS!

I doubt that "the Wife was content with her lot."

Racial segregation was adorable. So was the fact that fewer women had financial independence and no place to turn when abused and raped. Jews like me were often excluded or stigmatized, though often in oblique ways.

If everyone was so content "back in the day", why did so many people want to change things? Were it really a golden age, one would expect it to be self-perpetuating.

Change was pushed from the top down, not the bottom up. I'd recommend "Affluenza" by Oliver James.

Lots of change was pushed up from the grass roots. People suffered and died for it.

...and Gretsch guitars were made in the USA!

Things have gotten a lot better now. Let's take the recent "national holiday" - St. Patrick's Day.

It used to be that we Irish were considered vermin, and the term "mick" was used like the "n-word" was used: to hatefully single out, based upon geographic origins, in a hateful way.

But now things of gotten much better for us Irish! Now we are considered an ill-tempered bunch, quick to fight, and celebrated by Notre Dame's mascot, the FIGHTING IRISH!

And now we Irish are linked to excessive drinking through every bar, restaurant and bingo hall hosting green beer parties. Even the state police came out making announcements that they are planning to increase patrols to catch drunks on this day of Irish celebration!

And let's not forget that a major Irish contribution to culture has been Riverdance!

Constant change is the nature of life. One may not like how things are different but that is the price for still being alive.

Well said Bob. Now get off my lawn!

Another Irish contribution is their music which made it's way into bluegrass, country, and rock & roll.

Then, there are redheads! I married one! So far, so good.

We Poles were also looked down upon as well. It seems like every ethnic group that came to America had those issues. We were all tired, huddled masses at one point. Listen to the Bill Murray speech in the motor pool in "Stripes".

"Byrdes of on kynde and color flok and flye allwayes together."

Register Sign in to join the conversation