Miscellaneous Rumbles

This bites

When it rains it pours. Remember my dog bite on Christmas day? Today while getting wood for the fire I got bit by a spider. Did my research and I am taking all precautionary measures.

That’s the strangest looking big toe I’ve ever seen!

Dang Grumps, be careful out there. We're in spider heaven where I live. It really gets hairy at times with those things.

The puncture wounds are almost 1/4 of an inch apart. The two most likely suspects are the wolf spider and brown recluse. Wolf spider is no problem. Recluse may be trouble.

Did you feel the bite? All the patients I’ve seen with necrotic brown recluse spider bites say they didn’t even know they’d been bitten.

Nope, didn't feel the bite. I was starting the fire when my hand started to itch. That's when I realized that I was bleeding.

What's the expression...just "Bite Me"?

Geez, Grumps, you need a Holiday...!

Living in Australia, any time I went near our wood pile I would check for spiders. And snakes, centipedes, scorpions and even cone shells and stone fish.

There was a story here last year of a Sydney tradesman who, using a portable dunny (toilet) was bitten on the penis by a redback spider. A redback looks a lot like a black widow and they live pretty much everywhere here. They likely won't kill you but make you quite sick. And getting bitten there would bot be fun.

Poor bugger is in the news a few months later - he got bitten on the penis again! He says he might get a different job. I think he should have listened to the old country song "There's a Redback on the Toilet Seat". Yes, we did have a song of that name here.

Be careful Grumps and keep all your bits away from spiders.

What's the expression...just "Bite Me"?

Geez, Grumps, you need a Holiday...!

– Twangmeisternyc

I'm going on holiday when I go to Crowbones Jersey get together.

Just what part of your body is in that pic?

Nevermind, I don't want to be too personal if, in fact, I shouldn't know!

Living in Australia, any time I went near our wood pile I would check for spiders. And snakes, centipedes, scorpions and even cone shells and stone fish.

There was a story here last year of a Sydney tradesman who, using a portable dunny (toilet) was bitten on the penis by a redback spider. A redback looks a lot like a black widow and they live pretty much everywhere here. They likely won't kill you but make you quite sick. And getting bitten there would bot be fun.

Poor bugger is in the news a few months later - he got bitten on the penis again! He says he might get a different job. I think he should have listened to the old country song "There's a Redback on the Toilet Seat". Yes, we did have a song of that name here.

Be careful Grumps and keep all your bits away from spiders.

– JimmyR

I reckon a lot of things in Australia could kill a person. I once applied for a job working with crocs at the Australia zoo. Something I've always wanted to do.

Just what part of your body is in that pic?

Nevermind, I don't want to be too personal if, in fact, I shouldn't know!

– Twangmeisternyc

Just above my thumb.

Uncle sorry to hear of your injuries. I feel for you because I cut my left hand pinky finger by carelessly grabbing the pizza oven I was making on a part of the metal I routed out. Even though I tried to smooth out the rough edges it wasn’t perfectly smooth. Kept on bleeding but stopped eventually. Didn’t need stitches. Not deep enough.

I'd guess brown recluse. Go to the doc.

K

If it changes at all, go to the doc immediately... because (as you probably know) the brown recluse bite is extremely dangerous, and the necrosis is fast-moving. Don't wait around wondering. And don't go to an "urgent care"- got to an ER.

Check with Crowbone. I think he got bitten a couple of years ago.

Hope you mend from all of your ailments soon!

JimmyR said: "There was a story here last year of a Sydney tradesman who, using a portable dunny (toilet) was bitten on the penis by a redback spider."

-- which reminds me of the 6th grade joke where the doctor says, "Don't worry, it'll fall off in 3 days."

Well at least you have a picture and can compare later. If it gets bigger, get help but you know that.

At least recluse don't get big enough in your area to do a lot of damage, so I've been told.

When I was 16 I got bit by a spider on both ankles while camping. It was apparently in my sleeping bag. I ignored it as we hiked out of some mountains about two hours north of Vancouver. By the time the pickup boat got us back to Vancouver my ankles had turned to balloons and the doc said one more day would have cost me my feet.

It still took me almost a year to recover on all kinds of meds and antibiotics.

Go to the doc.

K

Sorry to hear about your spider bite, Uncle Grumpy. I can literally feel your pain. I hope that you don't have any serious issues with this bite.

I was changing my break pads, about 15 years ago, and I put on a pair of sneakers (without socks, and without shaking them out), that had been sitting on the front porch for several days. While I was sitting, cross-legged, R&R'ing the breaks, my left foot started to tingle. I thought it was starting to go to sleep, so I changed position, to no avail. I took my shoe off to investigate, and found a large freshly crushed black window spider, inside of the shoe.

I didn't feel the bite, but it turned out to be on the center of the left outer ankle bone. My foot and ankle swelled up, continued to get painfully numb and tingly, and I developed a fever and nausea later that day. I experienced stomach and back cramps over the next two weeks.

It's a very disturbing experience, being envenomated, it make you feel somewhat violated. A small blister developed, which turned into a deep ulcer, that took weeks to heal. I ended up on antibiotics and wound management. That ankle had an odd tingly sensation for about 6 months, after the wound had healed. A moment of carelessness, cost me many months of anguish. Needless to say, I never put on a pair of shoes (or garment), that had sat outside again, until they were fully inspected!

Sympathies, those bites indeed . . . bite.

Great band name opportunity, though: Uncle Grumpy & the Necrotic Spider Bites

Back in the day when I was an assistant scoutmaster, we would always remind the scouts to beware of the barking spiders around the campfire; especially if we had made chili for dinner. (When I was growing up in Western Illinois in the early 70's, there actually was a local band called "The Barking Spiders").

I'm beginning to appreciate how lucky we are in the UK to not have anything like these critters you're all talking about.

When I was a kid I was told to dump my boots out in the morning (when we were camping) to make sure there were no scorpions inside.

We laughed about that.

Then once, in my 20s I was camping with a girlfriend and I started to get a creepy, paranoid feeling right before I put them back on, so I turned over and patted my boots.

And a scorpion fell out of each one!

K

I used to find dead scorpions outside my bedroom window as a kid - and our neighbour was always scooping them out of his swimming pool in summer. I even found one in our loungeroom one evening.

One night last year I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning the lights on until I got the the bathroom. As I walked through the doorway I felt something land on my head so I tilted my head forwards to let it fall off and as it did I felt the web hit my face as it went down. I wasn't really surprised, and as soon as I turned the light on found a big fat redback on the floor. That was unusual because redbacks usually build the webs near the ground. Who knows what was going on?

Anyway pretty soon it was a large, flat redback.

Register Sign in to join the conversation