Miscellaneous Rumbles

The end of MAD magazine

DC comics, owner of MAD magazine, has announced that, other than yearly special editions, it will no longer publish issues with new content. It will revert to issues with reprints.

For a magazine like MAD to thrive, a society has to be able to laugh at itself. The "What, me worry?" philosophy now sits next to the Playboy philosophy in the dusty Museum of What Once Was, along with other Boomer relics. I'm hopeful that the pendulum will swing back and we can have comedy again.

Time was, I loved to watch her Mom and Pop fight.

MAD magazine stopped being itself when it was forced to accept advertising --- plus as the original "usual gang of idiots" retired or passed on, the style of humor and wit inevitably changed, and to me not for the better. Without Mort Drucker, Don Martin, Dave Berg, et al, and Bill Gaines at the helm, it seemed more like some of the lesser "MAD wannabe" magazines than its own iconoclastic self.

I’m surprised it lasted this long. In a time when a loser football player can stop the release of a shoe because the Betsy Ross flag offends him, you have to ask - WTF is next?

Also...the dumbing down of America. You have to be intelligent to appreciate satire.

Yes, a sign of the times... culturally. Their type of humor just isn't PC enough for Today's Modern World. Someone, somewhere, just might possibly be offended.

Yes, a sign of the times... culturally. Their type of humor just isn't PC enough for Today's Modern World. Someone, somewhere, just might possibly be offended.

– DCBirdMan

I don't think that's it - to me there's just so much more media (and humor) outlets to consume that it couldn't compete. There's plenty of non-PC humor out there, and it's plenty popular.

Nostalgia alone will not keep a company afloat.

No new content? I had a subscription as a kid in the 70's, but let it lapse when I realized that most of the stuff I'd already seen before. It did help shape my sense of humor though, and I'm sad to hear it's done.

Well, this makes me mad.

I'm surprised they were still publishing new issues. Loved Mad in the 70s and read all the books from the 60s.

Spy vs Spy was a long-time fave.... even when little else caught my eye, that usually did.

I have always wondered about something. By the time I was about to enter college, 1966, I had collected every issue of MAD from November 1954 (issue #1) right up untill June 0f 1966. My mom decided that she needed the room in my old closet, since I was gone, so she trashed the entire collection. (As well as my Erector set which took 6 years to compile.) To this day, I have not found anyone who could estimate the value of that collection. I'm not thinking it would be that much, as these magazines were read over and over through the years, but since I've never seen anyone anywhere with a collection that comprehensive, I have to wonder.

I have always wondered about something. By the time I was about to enter college, 1966, I had collected every issue of MAD from November 1954 (issue #1) right up untill June 0f 1966. My mom decided that she needed the room in my old closet, since I was gone, so she trashed the entire collection. (As well as my Erector set which took 6 years to compile.) To this day, I have not found anyone who could estimate the value of that collection. I'm not thinking it would be that much, as these magazines were read over and over through the years, but since I've never seen anyone anywhere with a collection that comprehensive, I have to wonder.

– PlayerOne

Did she toss your baseball cards too?

Ebay has a MAD #24 issue for a buy it now of $115 and a MAD #59 issue for $50. I stopped looking after that because I started thinking about what the clueless will do with all of my 'valuable' stuff someday.

Also, print media is mostly dead and I can’t imagine Mad translating to online.

All good points -- probably a convergence of a a few different things. Still sad to see totems of your youth go away. Even like Sears where kds got kool Dano and Harmony made Silvertone guitars and amps...

What, there are no 9-13 year-old boys?

No baseball cards, but my model plane collection crashed and burned along with MAD

Ebay has a MAD #24 issue for a buy it now of $115 and a MAD #59 issue for $50. I stopped looking after that because I started thinking about what the clueless will do with all of my 'valuable' stuff someday.

– beatbyrd

I recently created a database covering all of my guitars, including serial numbers and current estimated value. That's more for the kid's concern than mine. I'm hoping they don't get robbed when it's time to break up the family.

– hammerhands

If the internet existed when I was 9 to 13, I sure wouldn't be kicking cash to a print magazine. Sad but true.

My daughter is 21 now (she was born the year I joined the GDP) and I don't think she's ever bought a print mag.

– hammerhands

My 13yo son is a current subscriber

Wow....Mad was staple reading material of my childhood and adolescence. Mad was introduced to me by my older brother. Can't ever forget the price on the cover: "30 Cents, Cheap" and when they raised the price by a nickel it changed to "35 Cents, Highway Robbery".

I hated to see the Mad TV show go by the wayside. Satirical and irreverent, it was about 20 times better than what SNL was putting out at the time.

– hammerhands

They're all playing video games.

Register Sign in to join the conversation