Miscellaneous Rumbles

The Curse of Being on Staff for a Cat

We had 4 cats for many years and found the Zero Odor product to work well. We're down to one now. Our late, lamented Erik would pee on my shoes (if i left them out) after I'd been out of town. It was his way to express displeasure I guess. He also peed on some effects pedals. I still have them but there something funky about the input jacks!

Yup, been there. Fabreze worked for me. Took a few goes though.
Shuggie how could you? you know I'm a cat man.

Sorry Tony, couldn't resist.....

Happened to me. I tried all kinds of deodorizers to no avail. Ended up pulling all of the lining out of the case, making a run to JoAnn Fabric Depot for some fleece and spray adhesive and re-lining the case which did the trick. I think it ran me about $30-40 for supplies, rather than $100 plus for a new case.

Stencil Gibson on the case and sell it on ebay! Mwa ha haaaaa!

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/in...

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck! 

Jennie

we grow cat haters in these parts, problems are solved!

Try Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer for Cats.

I’ve never used it, but they make a skunk oder remover that really works. We live out in the country and our dogs used to get skunked fairly often.

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/in...

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck! 

Jennie

– j3nniez221

I don't/won't have anything to do with cats but my suggestion is to set a live trap for that outdoor stray nuisance. Do with it what you want then. Take it to the local shelter and let them deal with it.

I loaned my Gibson 135 to a buddy once. He left the case open and the cat did his thing.

Once tainted, there is no going back from "cat smell."

I just told him to keep the case, and I got another.

The guitar has a slight, very slight cat smell to it. He had put the guitar back in the case, but I did not get rid of my guitar.

Lesson: Get a different case. You will always smell "cats" otherwise.

...!

Try Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer for Cats.

I’ve never used it, but they make a skunk oder remover that really works. We live out in the country and our dogs used to get skunked fairly often.

– Blutonium

Nature's Miracle is good stuff. We used for carpets and furniture, when we had cats and dogs. I had recommended to a friend who had exact same issue of cat pee in a guitar case. He said it worked very well. Worth a try...

Hydrogen peroxide.....

you did not just say "four cat family" ...no ..no you didnt say that.

– TheNocturneBrain

4? Ha! We have 11!

Old thread with recent responses, so here's mine. Cats are very clean creatures by nature (self grooming, bury their business, etc.)......so any misbehavior is almost always the cat telling you it doesn't want to step into a dirty litter box. Dog owners get used to taking their dog out when necessary, cat people must scoop the litter box daily (yes, you heard me). And if you have two cats you need two boxes. Speaking from experience, and from the advice of experts. Your cat(s) will reward your efforts with good behavior, I guarantee it. And please......anti-cat people? why would you even read this thread?

I love animals. I have grown up around dogs all of my life. For some reason, cats don't like me. I don't try to intimidate them. I don't try to ignore them either. They attack me, unprovoked. This has happened many times in my life. I told Karolyn this many times and she still wants a cat. When I think of cats I think of this...

In my experience, this is how cats are. So my daughter recently got a kitten. When we visit, we sleep at her house. I knew this cat would visit me in my sleep and it did. I just scooted it away a couple of times and no worries. Next day, we were standing around the dining table playing a board game and WHAM! it jumped right in the middle of my T-shirted back. So I jumped and when the cat hit the ground I quickly swept it away with my foot. It's such a small cat, it kind of lifted off the ground about a foot and landed on the near wall, unhurt, of course. I meant no harm and it was a reflex movement but I did refrain from a swift kick. Everyone in the room was concerned about the cat and not a single person asked how I was.

I know they're cute but for some reason they have always stalked me so I am very aware around cats.

Most cats have a genetic instinct to use a cat box or go outside. But not all of them. When I lived in the country I had as many as 5 cats at a time --- but 2 lacked the cat box gene, so had no indoor privileges. One could only be indoors when I was there to supervise. The other two never misbehaved at all. Interestingly enough, when I moved to a more (sub)urban area, the one cat I had left (which was one of those who seemed to lack the cat box gene) was quite elderly, so I set up a living space for her in the garage. From that point on, she always used the cat box without exception.

The cat I have now has been perfect. She's mostly indoors, and if I forget to scoop out the cat box on a given day, she registers her disapproval by shredding the newspaper under the box and leaving it in the tray, or putting the scoop right into the box --- but has never peed anywhere else.

All in all, I have to say being "on staff for a cat" has been far more a blessing than a curse. Cats are among my favorite people!

5 years ago!!! I still have 4 but my beloved Bandit passed from a urinary infection a little over 2 years ago. Since then, I rescued an orange semi-feral 1 y/o (at the time) back in March of '18. Scooter is my "new-ish" fluffy orange buddy.

Well, this disrupted the harmony amongst the other 3 but, personalities and the social order that was, has gone but somewhat came back. Scooter is a gem with humans and a healthy strong going on 3 y/o. However, he needs complete separation from the other 3 because he defines "territorial" and is too rough with the others. Our 10y/o black beauty Bella has claimed a new title of "queen of the house" and if our "service levels" are not up to her standards, she lets us know it by taking a whiz.........The other day it was on my wife's new winter coat laying on the couch. Why? Apparently she was not fed in time.

I do love all of them though!

Our cat doesn't even have a litter box anymore, he only goes outside.... we are lucky I guess!

I love animals. I have grown up around dogs all of my life. For some reason, cats don't like me. I don't try to intimidate them. I don't try to ignore them either. They attack me, unprovoked. This has happened many times in my life. I told Karolyn this many times and she still wants a cat. When I think of cats I think of this...

In my experience, this is how cats are. So my daughter recently got a kitten. When we visit, we sleep at her house. I knew this cat would visit me in my sleep and it did. I just scooted it away a couple of times and no worries. Next day, we were standing around the dining table playing a board game and WHAM! it jumped right in the middle of my T-shirted back. So I jumped and when the cat hit the ground I quickly swept it away with my foot. It's such a small cat, it kind of lifted off the ground about a foot and landed on the near wall, unhurt, of course. I meant no harm and it was a reflex movement but I did refrain from a swift kick. Everyone in the room was concerned about the cat and not a single person asked how I was.

I know they're cute but for some reason they have always stalked me so I am very aware around cats.

– Suprdave

I'm a dog person like you but you can learn to speak Cattish. It's falsetto gibberish with a downward inflection on the end of each phrase. The way THEY speak. You can win over almost any unfamiliar cat in minutes if you speak its language. Try it. Almost never does it result in blood.

I have a just bought, yesterday, VOX AC-15 C1. It's covered in towels as I had to order the dedicated cover through amazon.. Hear that Easy Music Centers of Oahu??....Anyway, after wringing it out last night and admiring it and squeezing it and calling it George, I realized all that pristine VOX grillcloth was un-pro-tec-ted and exposed to Miss Kolohe (hawaiian for mischief).

She was already climbing on the towels as a new perch, but I dissuaded her as gently as I could. I got paranoid and know that they love to tent and tunnel under laundry and such, so I locked the towels down with the foot pegs and called it good. It better be good when I get home today or cat meet outdoors....She's a good one, and I have as best a bond as one can get with a cat, with her. She accompanies me to the shower and sits on the laundry hamper while I bathe, tries to walk in the sink while I'm shaving to drink the fresh running water, and even endures my "sitting", which I sometimes can't endure myself..

I have scratch marks from an older cat in Texas on the cover of my HRDLX, but it too is pristine from being covered. So I know they find that scrunchy, sticky, and claw catching cloth to be the best thing ever...

Someone mentioned the hated Outdoor cat that prances around like "I'm free, you not".. We have one, Mau Mau. A strange, interbred, and obviously not right guy. His head is the size of a cantaloupe, his body is tiny ,his tail is a short corkscrew. He's her uncle enemy so to speak. Every now and then, I give Mau a treat because there by the grace or something like that...

I reckon cats know who don't like 'em,my aunt has a bit of fear of them , when she use to come to our house ,our cat Smokie would look at everybody in the room then jump up on my aunt's lap,do the around and around thing then prod ,before settling down for a snooze ! My aunt would be on edge for while after that.

Well I hope nobody got the idea that I hate Cats. I just know who they are and how they are and maybe thats "our" issue. They likely know that I know their secret. I have been around several cats in my life that I genuinely get along with and if they're in my lap, that's okay. At least I'll know where they are and what they're up to. The surprise attack is what gets me. I'm not keen on those types of surprises.

Update:

I've made "Cat" trouble around here a couple times, never to upset Ms. Deed ... but surely testing the waters.

My Dad would nearly explode when around Cats.

Early 90's a beautiful, White Persian nearly sent me to the Hospital, late 2000's a Tabby nearly did the same. Ever since the Tabby, I've been on a journey of fighting all Allergens.

Our little Bichon was hypo-Allergenic, but when visiting with the Tabby she was a Dander Magnet. A Bath and a Groom always followed. That's when my Doc suggested Flonase.

I waited a dozen years, now willing to join the Daily Dope Club to fight my Allergies. Several of my new neighbors have cats...

Dander is Cat Sweat dried into crystalline form...what can be possibly good about that?

I think it to be a Militarized Chemical Weapon!

Register Sign in to join the conversation