Miscellaneous Rumbles

The Art of Timber Framing

The quarter sawn Black Oak plank did yield a nice chopping block.

Nice stuff. We had really wide, old growth red spruce floor boards in the old homestead. The house is still there, but this is the last of the old red spruce boards.

Beautiful workmanship. Amazing skill to build that house. Thanks for sharing.

I am drooling...... Been fascinated with this kind of craftsmanship since I was a kid.

For a fabulous restoration, take a look at Curt Wilson's Old School Guitars building......

This was my Timber Framing project back in the day...Smiths Bridge over the Brandywine Creek.

Constructed from Bubinga Wood beams so it won't burn down again!

https://www.onlyinyourstate...

It's such a pleasure to look at wood...

– Twangmeisternyc

WHAT?!! Twang- Please tell me more! I've ridden over that bridge, and spend a lot of time riding my motorcycle along the Brandywine River in Chadds Ford and down into Delaware.

I fished around and under the last bridge all my youth...part of my DNA. When we moved back to Delaware to care for my aging parents I was part of the Smiths Bridge Working Group.

I hold a PE License in Delaware.

Lots of Politics during those meetings...!

Our group consisted of major LandHolders around the bridge, all DuPont-ers, then a few Historians and Preservation folks, a group of DelDOTers, then a couple of us vested-interest, fully-qualified Engineering types.

The basic design as I recall came from a bridge in Vermont, we used a pair of Swedish Timber Constructing Experts to Supervise, and the raw logs came in from Africa. It was quite the sight to see the bridge being put together.

My Dad did a full photo essay, he loved every minute of it. He'd bring Lunch to everyone once a week.

The Opening Ceremony was a big tadoo...lots of Antique Cars and Dignitaries.

My ashes are set to be released off the bridge some day...

Through the years I’ve done a lot of timber, brand new custom homes and a a bunch of historical renovation on barns, schools, grange halls, even replaced some massive oak beams in one of the old halls at Princeton in New Jersey. While “timber framed” buildings in the traditional sense are getting to be uncommon they are still being built all over the place and any builder worth his or her salt can do it quite easily. All the math is exactly the same as any other building or piece of furniture for that matter. The folks that built this beautiful building did a great job of it. Like any well built building of any style it will last as long as it’s cared for. 30 years or 300+ years. Because it’s made of big wood does not mean it won’t rot if the drainage is poor or the windows or roof develop leakage. As for the Amish. I live in one of the most heavily Amish populated areas in the country, there’s so many you can’t swing a dead cat around your head without hitting one of them. It’s unfortunate but the general public are fooled by the total myth that the Amish are some kind of super carpenters. THEY ARE NOT SPECIAL IN ANY WAY CONCERNING BUILDING. They use fully modern tools and equipment when they are not talking on their cell phones and they do not by any means know any math of any sort involved in the construction of a building. The real pros around hear refer to them as “by eye” builders, never level, plumb, or square. In fact the only good carpenters I’ve met amongst them are the older gents that actually learned the trade as youngsters. Just like the general population.

Register Sign in to join the conversation