Miscellaneous Rumbles

The Art of Timber Framing

The quarter sawn Black Oak plank did yield a nice chopping block.

Nice stuff. We had really wide, old growth red spruce floor boards in the old homestead. The house is still there, but this is the last of the old red spruce boards.

Beautiful workmanship. Amazing skill to build that house. Thanks for sharing.

I am drooling...... Been fascinated with this kind of craftsmanship since I was a kid.

For a fabulous restoration, take a look at Curt Wilson's Old School Guitars building......

This was my Timber Framing project back in the day...Smiths Bridge over the Brandywine Creek.

Constructed from Bubinga Wood beams so it won't burn down again!

https://www.onlyinyourstate...

It's such a pleasure to look at wood...

– Twangmeisternyc

WHAT?!! Twang- Please tell me more! I've ridden over that bridge, and spend a lot of time riding my motorcycle along the Brandywine River in Chadds Ford and down into Delaware.

I fished around and under the last bridge all my youth...part of my DNA. When we moved back to Delaware to care for my aging parents I was part of the Smiths Bridge Working Group.

I hold a PE License in Delaware.

Lots of Politics during those meetings...!

Our group consisted of major LandHolders around the bridge, all DuPont-ers, then a few Historians and Preservation folks, a group of DelDOTers, then a couple of us vested-interest, fully-qualified Engineering types.

The basic design as I recall came from a bridge in Vermont, we used a pair of Swedish Timber Constructing Experts to Supervise, and the raw logs came in from Africa. It was quite the sight to see the bridge being put together.

My Dad did a full photo essay, he loved every minute of it. He'd bring Lunch to everyone once a week.

The Opening Ceremony was a big tadoo...lots of Antique Cars and Dignitaries.

My ashes are set to be released off the bridge some day...

Register Sign in to join the conversation