Miscellaneous Rumbles

take five

Hello all, it's been awhile, long boring story. To tell it would seem self serving. Nuff said. So anyhoo, the place where i'm at at this point in time has piped in elevator muzak playing at low level 24/7 and while waiting for other people to come into my room out of the corner of my ear I realize that Daves Brubeck's Take Five is playing, one of the most enjoyable tunes of all time in my opinion. While hearing it this time I came to understand that Mr Brubeck was one of the most selfless giving composers around, to me I feel that he composed that tune for his band, they all of them have their moments, they all are given a time to shine, and all the while for the whole tune Dave just keeps up a simple rhythm on the keys as if he indeed is just taking five and laying back. I wonder if thats why he named it what he did, whatever the reason I'm glad he wrote it.

Howdy stranger!

Brubeck called it "Take Five" because it's written in 5/4 time. Simple.

Great tune, as you said.

Howdy stranger!

Brubeck called it "Take Five" because it's written in 5/4 time. Simple.

Great tune, as you said.

– wabash slim

Slim is right about the name. In fact, the album that "Take Five" comes from is called "Time Out" and contains nothing but songs in odd time signatures. Interestingly, "Take Five" is the only song on the album NOT composed by Brubeck.

Right you are --- it was written by sax player Paul Desmond.

I always dug Jacob Miller and Inner Circle's "take" on it as well.

Slim is right about the name. In fact, the album that "Take Five" comes from is called "Time Out" and contains nothing but songs in odd time signatures. Interestingly, "Take Five" is the only song on the album NOT composed by Brubeck.

– Tartan Phantom

I learn something every day.

I learned a bunch just now, I'm going to head over to youtube and listen up the album to go to sleep with it playing.

Blast from the past. Hope your health is solid and you're doing well!

Parabar right you are. Well then, maybe Desmond didn't much care for Brubeck ha ha.

I like "Take 5". I've thought for a very long time that it's a cool song. But then again jazz is my guilty pleasure, when I'm not playing acoustic guitar, or amped up electric guitar. I would love to do a more guitar oriented version of "Take 5." I remember screwing around with it some years ago, to come up with a version that had some guitar in it.

As a kid Take 5 and the Time Out album was the first Jazz album I ever heard.My parents had it ,the only Jazz album in the house. Truly timeless and a perfect gateway drug into the Jazz world.

Great tune and album. Good to see you back Chrisbo.

Several years ago (20 years???) we vacationed in Sanibel Island, FL. Dave Brubeck had apparently called Sanibel "home" and played (solo) regularly at one of the restaurants. We spent an evening at said place and I saw (and heard) him immediately when we entered.

I mentioned to the host that I was a long-time fan..... Next thing I knew, during his next break Mr. Brubeck came over and introduced himself and joined us at our table until he had to "go back to earning a living". He was most enjoyable -- very down-to-earth, fascinating conversationalist with a great sense of humor. One of my all time favorite memories!

I like "Take 5". I've thought for a very long time that it's a cool song. But then again jazz is my guilty pleasure, when I'm not playing acoustic guitar, or amped up electric guitar. I would love to do a more guitar oriented version of "Take 5." I remember screwing around with it some years ago, to come up with a version that had some guitar in it.

– EllenGtrGrl

Here you go ---

Here you go ---

– Parabar

Ooh!!! Must look more into this version - it's a bit funkier than the one I was trying to develop. Thanks!

As a kid Take 5 and the Time Out album was the first Jazz album I ever heard.My parents had it ,the only Jazz album in the house. Truly timeless and a perfect gateway drug into the Jazz world.

– GaryE

My Dad was a huge jazz fan and loved Paul Desmond. We never talked about it much when I was growing up - and until late in his life. One day I was taking him to a Dr's appt and Take 5 came on the radio. I said I'd always loved that song - he said - "no kidding". Apparently when I was tiny my parents would play jazz records on the hi-fi. I was uninterested for anything else, but when Take 5 came on I would stumble around and try to dance to it on my 3yr old legs. I have no memory of that!!

Apparently not a unique phenomenon! Thanks Gary for putting a smile on my face this morning.

Register Sign in to join the conversation