Miscellaneous Rumbles

Sweet and Lowdown

So many Many years ago I stumbled upon this Movie and as I watched it I kept wondered who is this Django Rheinhardt guy they keep talking about and what makes him so fantastic. Up until then I was a strictly Rock N Roll/Punk Rock guy with a father that listened to Sinatra,Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman with some Country and R&B thrown in. But Django, never heard of him.

So I did some research , bought many CD's and books, and after years of listening to and reading everything I could find on the Web ,, I am thoroughly convinced that the Man is indeed the Greatest and coolest Guitar player ever to walk the Planet.

His songs rarely have lyrics, but damn does his music talk to me like no other I have ever heard in my life..Someday I will make it to the Django Festival in France and Live the Dream.

Am I the only one?

Django is regarded as one of the most important (influential) guitarists in jazz, and his work, especially with the Hot Club of France, continues to inspire new interpretations of a style labelled Gypsy Jazz. He is regarded primarily as a swing player, but on recordings made during his time in the USA, his playing leaned heavily towards a be-bop style, regarded as modern or "cutting edge" at the time. Stylistic persuasions aside, the man had a deep sense of musicality and drama, a virtuostic technique, in spite of a left hand handicap, and anyone who plays any style of music would benefit from listening to him. I couldn't find many compositions of great interest, but Nuages is a masterpiece, right up there with the best of Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, etc. Thanks for posting.

Howard Alden played all the guitar in the Movie. Still one of my favourite films. Sean Penn as Emmett Ray is possibly one of his best characters!

My Dad's Hero.

I once read about Django that he was the first non-American and outside the US, to compose original jazz, helping to spread this new at the time style of music. He most certainly infused an awful lot of passion in his playing.

They also used Django, or at least a portrayal of him, in the movie, "Hugo". There's a jazz group playing in the train station and in a couple of side scenes, portrayed by Emil Lager.

Sweet and Lowdown is a wonderful movie and Django was a monster guitarist. I once stood in the presence of the late great Chet Atkins and felt my knees buckle at the sight of him. I can definitely relate to this movie.

I saw the movie when it first came out, but I cannot remember, was there a scene in the movie with someone playing Reinhardt?

...------

John Jorgenson played Django in the movie "Head in the Clouds".

We have a great Django cover band here in Rochester, NY area called the Djangoners. Members of Bobbie Henrie and the Goners, a rockabilly band, revamped for jazz. Check them out. https://www.facebook.com/Th...

Django is the Man! Everything he played was just so real. And, whatever you do, do not listen to folks who say he was a so so electric player. Listen to the Last Studio Sessions if you want your mind blown. The guy was lightyears ahead.

Check out Biel Ballester (say Bee-El Buy-a-Stair) who was actually a member here for a very short time.

Sit through the Catalan language intro and commercial messages. GREAT playing here:

http://www.ccma.cat/tv3/ala...

If you know the movie "Vicky Christina Barcelona" then you have heard his music. A wonderful fusion of manouche jazz, rock, and yes (GASP) rockabilly.

LOVE Barcelona (was there two weeks ago) so I did not mean Catalan is some horrible thing to be endured. Just watch the TV special featuring Biel Ballester, and note that he posted here a few times years ago.

Tibidabo is a hill outside Barcelona visbible from where I used to work there. The first song is "Uphill to Tibidabo" but REALLY listen to the whole show, then you hear the rock and rockabilly in manouche jazz.

But man those guitars are HARD to play. I need to sell my Gitane Dorado Schmitt - just too hard to play for my Nancy-Boy hands.

I've always believed Django to be the best. But if you like this style please look up Tchan Tchou Vidal on YouTube. He's later than Django but plays wonderful guitar -- his take on The Sheik of Araby is terrific guitar playing.

I saw the movie when it first came out, but I cannot remember, was there a scene in the movie with someone playing Reinhardt?

...------

– indianation65

Yes but just a glimpse, during the end of the movie there is a scene where Emmet Ray crashes into a car that ,Yes ,Django is riding in.

In '94 at the CAAS Convention, I had the pleasure of meeting and watching Romane Manetti play. He even resembled Django. His playing so reminded folks of Django that he was presented with his pup which he immediately mounted on his guitar.

On afternoon in the large lobby, we had quite a treat as seated at one end of a very long sofa sat Romane and at the other end Jim Nichols, a phenomenal guitarist you should familiarize yourselves with if you aren't already a fan. They jammed for quite a long time and it was fabulous. What made it fun to watch as well was that seated in the middle was Scotty Moore looking like he was at center court of a tennis match!

This video, recorded a couple years later in a bar in France captures that same impromptu jam session I saw. Both are playing their electric guitars but acoustically, not plugged in. Note Buster B watching from a bar stool behind Jim.

I'm a big fan of Jim. He can play anything and makes it look effortless. I think he does Django proud in this video. Enjoy!

LOVE Barcelona (was there two weeks ago) so I did not mean Catalan is some horrible thing to be endured. Just watch the TV special featuring Biel Ballester, and note that he posted here a few times years ago.

Tibidabo is a hill outside Barcelona visbible from where I used to work there. The first song is "Uphill to Tibidabo" but REALLY listen to the whole show, then you hear the rock and rockabilly in manouche jazz.

But man those guitars are HARD to play. I need to sell my Gitane Dorado Schmitt - just too hard to play for my Nancy-Boy hands.

– chrisp2

What makes those guitars hard to play ?

I have heard this complaint before, but honestly, it's never been a problem for me. I have a Gitane John Jorgenson model and play it all the time. I guess the wider classical style fingerboard is problematic for some folks. For me it makes it really easy to hit the string I want without hitting the ones I don't.

What makes those guitars hard to play ?

– LA_Manny

I use MANY barre shapes when playing chord-melody. The extra real estate to cover both across the FB and up and down (via the long scale) makes it very hard for me to get my bony index finger to lay flat enough.

If I really wanted to improve the playability, I would remove the frets, tighten the FB radius to maybe 10 or 10.5, then re-fret with somewhat taller frets.

This would all help very much with my particular shortfall.

Or I could not be such a whiner and re-learn some of my favorites to avoid the barre troubles.

Some options.

Django was almost impossibly talented. He was influenced by many, including the great Lonnie Johnson. Check out some of Lonnie's 20s and 30s recordings, playing 12 string acoustic (actually, I think only the top strings were paired). You can hear the power and precision which so appealed to Django.

I use MANY barre shapes when playing chord-melody. The extra real estate to cover both across the FB and up and down (via the long scale) makes it very hard for me to get my bony index finger to lay flat enough.

That is a very fair point. I try to use three and four note cords when playing in the swing or gypsy style so that has not been an issue for me.

That is a very fair point. I try to use three and four note cords when playing in the swing or gypsy style so that has not been an issue for me.

– spike

That is because you are smarter and more talented than I am.

That is because you are smarter and more talented than I am.

– chrisp2

Ive seen those Gitane's on the web, and they seem to be pretty good guitars for the money. Where are they made and what are they comparable to. I think they are Asian but im not 100% on it. Either way the demos ive seen are pretty good.

Register Sign in to join the conversation