Miscellaneous Rumbles

Suffered major head trauma . . .

hey Jeff ! I was just wondering about you the other day. glad to see you back in these parts. have you been in touch with "Jukebox" (Mike Peterson in Minnesota) ?

– Sgt Rock

No I haven't...and the guy I'm working with lives up that way...thanks for reminding me about JB, if I ever have to go there for business I'll look him up

You had two personas: one was articulate, reasonable, forbearing, tolerant, and altogether charming.

The other? Not so much. More like you were trying to be the most egregious jackweed you possibly could. That effort was frequently successful!

I thought maybe you'd already had the major head trauma.

But did you really bang yer haid, or was that an entertaining pretense to announce your current visit?

– Proteus

I bang my head all the flippin' time, nothing seems to knock any sense into it.

Seriously, though - still biking a lot...I run the corporate band so I'm putting together the annual Christmas Show now...I'll be using the Polish (Red) Falcon and the Green Sparkle Jet with Dyna's...still have tons of cool amps, but my work horses are the Victoria's (the Gretsch Executive style 40 watt that I had Custom Made and put in a Aged Pine Laquered Tweed cabinet, and the Regal II 15 " that has 2 power tube slots, use any 2 you like in any order, right now 2 - 5881 so about 30-35 watts, and the bedroom has a Boss Katana 100 watt with 5" internal speaker, thing is awesome for practice, you can download any 15 boss pedals you like into the memory, use up to 3 at a time).

4 kids keeps me hopping, as does work. And court (divorce) rages on. And my brother with the strokes needing assistance. And leaves...lots and lots of leaves....

I got to the point where I hated sitting in front of a screen so I detoxed from all computer time that didn't make me money. Never forgot about this place or the people, both fine entities.

Other than that, not a whole lot going on

BUT . . .

DID MY HARD SHELL CASE HAVE GOLD PIPING????

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

Yup---and your name in sequins!

No I haven't...and the guy I'm working with lives up that way...thanks for reminding me about JB, if I ever have to go there for business I'll look him up

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

sounds good. tell him "hi" for me, will ya ? I lost his phone # and haven't heard from him for a while. not sure what he's up to these days.

hey Jeff ! I was just wondering about you the other day. glad to see you back in these parts. have you been in touch with "Jukebox" (Mike Peterson in Minnesota) ?

– Sgt Rock

I see him on facebook every now and then.

It's about horses, not guitars so much.

Hey Jeff -- good to see you back!!!

and the bedroom has a Boss Katana 100 watt with 5" internal speaker, thing is awesome for practice, you can download any 15 boss pedals you like into the memory, use up to 3 at a time). Rey Allen (Jeff O)

I've got the Katana 100 watt 2x12, great amp! They keep popping up in my view, even though I don't get out as much as I used to. It's without a doubt the most versatile amp I've ever owned.

yawn stretch .... wait what are you guys talking about?

You also posted under the name Hugh Jackweed.

Jeff, is your biking all road, any trails, a mix?

I got my 70s Motobecane 10-speed out and started riding again about a month ago, mostly on our local asphalt walking/riding trail. But it's frequently bumpy with twigs, small limbs, fallen nuts, leaves, other debris - and the spill I took Saturday confirmed for me that the high-pressure skinny tires of the old road bike aren't ideal. Also, both the bike and I are taking a lot of impact shock.

I won't be doing any real trail/mountain biking, but I don't need a fast stiff drop-bar racer either. I'm looking at hybrids - a bit fatter, chunkier, lower-pressure tire, more upright position, a little softer ride. Wondered if you have any advice in the current market.

Tim, not to answer for Jeff, but look at "gravel bikes." Most everyone is making them now. Like a road bike but with wider tires, better brakes, more stable geometry. They range from mountain bikes with drop bars to road bikes with beefy tires to modern all surface touring bikes and all in between. You should be able to find one that fills your needs.

No, I think it was just "Hugh Jass"..

– Tartan Phantom

Do you still go to the park you talked about to scout for UFO sightings? I received your PM with the paranormal questions and think it's really cool that your finding a hobby in ghost hunting but you did get a great deal on the PK and EMF recorders.

I know you're a brave dude but be cool about going to Villisca Axe Murder House and have a great time exploring the Bell Witch Cave in Adams, Tn.

Of all the people in the world, I never would've thought you'd be an avid ghost hunting show lover and now actually doing it.

Did you follow-up with the demonology studies you started? I can't believe you are a believer!

I thought perhaps you had taken on an alter-ego that went by the name of spirit walker.

Jeff, is your biking all road, any trails, a mix?

I got my 70s Motobecane 10-speed out and started riding again about a month ago, mostly on our local asphalt walking/riding trail. But it's frequently bumpy with twigs, small limbs, fallen nuts, leaves, other debris - and the spill I took Saturday confirmed for me that the high-pressure skinny tires of the old road bike aren't ideal. Also, both the bike and I are taking a lot of impact shock.

I won't be doing any real trail/mountain biking, but I don't need a fast stiff drop-bar racer either. I'm looking at hybrids - a bit fatter, chunkier, lower-pressure tire, more upright position, a little softer ride. Wondered if you have any advice in the current market.

– Proteus

The advice on the gravel bike was spot on. A friend of mine in Northern Michigan just purchased a Ridley that came with 2 sets of wheels, and he could actually convert it from a skinny tire road bike to a beefy tire trail bike.

Not sure if there are any near you, but the Performance Bike near us is going out of business...and the bike's have a deep, deep, discount. About 40%, which may not seem like much, but in the bike world 10% is a good deal.

I mostly ride rode, but got my old mountain bike from Judd and refreshed it, and started riding trails again. However, my old bike is SO dated and the new technology is amazing. But I don't ride off road enough to warrant a $2000 + purchase.

Another good deal is WalMart...they were selling $650 hybrid Huffy's (made by Giant) for $192. The only one I found was a medium, too small for my, for that that price I'd buy it just to ride to the swimming pool up the street.

Final bit of advice - if you invest some decent money bikes are like tube amps. A lot of the menial tasks needed for maintenance are DYI, and I build many bikes and amps both. However, some tasks (I can't true a wheel to save my life) you need a good dependable mechanic for. Treat them right, and they teach you as well as provide good service.

Just get a basic Schwinn or Huffy. Fat tires, one speed, coaster brake. Damned near impossible to break.

If you ride some of the trails around Indy, you need self defense weapons. Ropes strung across the trails, muggers and rapists, and so on. If you ride in the streets, watch out for the 200K potholes and people in vehicles trying to run you down. Electric scooters on sidewalks and streets and mopeds are more things to worry about, along with cell phone zombies.

I didn't realize Indy was that bad, violent crime wise. All big cities have issues. You just have to know where to go and where to NEVER go (coming from someone who's been to every part of detroit, flint, and benton harbor).

We had a female jogger raped where we ride, but my guess is she had earphones and wasn't paying attention, went out early and alone. Not saying she was at fault, but you have to watch out for number one.

I didn't realize Indy was that bad, violent crime wise. All big cities have issues. You just have to know where to go and where to NEVER go (coming from someone who's been to every part of detroit, flint, and benton harbor).

We had a female jogger raped where we ride, but my guess is she had earphones and wasn't paying attention, went out early and alone. Not saying she was at fault, but you have to watch out for number one.

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

Yup. It's called "situational awareness". Cell phone zombies (a great band name, by the way) are lost in their own little worlds and get into all kinds of problems.

Indy's connected by the Interstate to Chicago, and the troubles seem to follow the major roads. I left South Bend forty years ago because there was no work. It's turned into the most dangerous city in the state---even worse than Gary or Indy. It's lost a third of it's population since Studebaker went down, and seems to be getting even wore. The Rust Belt in action.

Cross the river in Benton Harbor, and you're in St. Joseph---night and day difference. My family all lived in SW Michigan way back when. I still have relatives up there, from Detroit to the Lake Michigan coast. I'd happily move up to the big lake area if I were younger.

Glad to see you back here. I enjoyed your posts, usually.

facebook blowz, so maybe I should spend time here. Most of my interwebs time is on Truefire nowadays

I HAVE to use facebook, corporate policy, since we do so much business with them...we even get a social media score (no fooling) so I log on, like all our companies posts, and log back off

I think I was kicked out of the other Gretsch site...I pissed ole greeny off

Register Sign in to join the conversation