General tech questions

Using Super Glue to rebuild nut slots…

Been a while since I have attempted this, those guitars in the herd eventually got new nuts...I am thinking this worked pretty well?

What sort of success have any of you had? Or non-Success?

I have owned the Kay Barney Kessel long enough now to start considering little improvements. My nut slots work, but there is a fair amount of age and "chew". I think the nut is original, but it could also be a very, very old replacement put in when the neck was reset to add some height above the fretboard.

The fretboard may well be shimmed...until I see another from the same period I won't know for sure. Several YouTubes seem identical, which suggests it is original, but then the neck reset method common at the time may well be the same for all!

The current nut has a fair amount of shaping to meet the Lucite Chevron, it would be non-standard and a bit artsy to reproduce. Not a drop in...so, improving the current one is Plan A.

The bridge saddle certainly is original, and was designed with a piece of bone or plastic in a slot. That will need a new piece for sure.

In the interim, I put on a Gretsch ABR I had from swapping a RBB, ... Wonderful!

Impressive tone improvement...looks original, too.

CA (cyanoacrylate, aka "super glue") will be just fine.

A bit better if combined with bone dust.

Plus you get to say "fee fie fo fum" when making the bone dust (by sanding a reject nut blank or old bone nut).

CA may seem to harden quickly, but it continues to harden for quite a while after it seems "dry". So I suggest filling the slots then going to sleep, then file the new slots the next morning.

Or fill the slots then watch a baseball game, which takes more than 8 hours - so plenty of time to let it all harden completely.

Seriously, I can not tell any difference in hardness or durability between a bone nut slot and a slot filled with CA and bone dust.

Chris

I use CA and baking soda like Dan Erlewine suggests

After my post, I went back and watched several YouTubes, including Dan's.

There is this new material, too, that cures with UV.

I just cannot remember how long lasting the fix is...

After my post, I went back and watched several YouTubes, including Dan's.

There is this new material, too, that cures with UV.

I just cannot remember how long lasting the fix is...

– Twangmeisternyc

In my opinion / experience a carefully filled slot with bone dust and CA is every bit as long lasting as a "normal" slot.

The only practical limit is that you can not use CA successfully on a delrin nut.

CA does seem to work just fine on a Tusq XL despite the description of "XL" containing Teflon. I have not tested this extensively, just filled a few slots on a guitar of my own with no troubles.

It should work fine on this nut...obviously older material. I'll let someone who does it regularly do it, there is a guy on the other side of town. I'll check with him. I don't have the selection of nut files, either...

Shimming the nut won't work without reshaping the contours to meet the headstock. In that case, I would do just as well to make a new one out of a Tusq blank.

CA and bone dust/baking soda works fine and it's a permanent fix.

Bur as chrisp2 says, let it set overnight.

Recently, I needed to fix a nut slot that I filed a bit too deep. My past efforts with CA glue weren't that successful, and after researching my options I heard about using UV glue. I decided to try it out and I'm very glad that I did. Very easy to work with, no mess, easy to control and ready to start filing within minutes of curing with the UV light.

I'm sure chrisp has done this a million times. When you use CA with bone dust it's as strong as the original slot. Wear a respirator because when they fuse it's a nasty reaction.

The hardest part is getting enough bone dust. I have resorted to using animal bone now because I have become allergic to my chainsaw.

Jimmy your post is confusing on many levels - and a little disturbing

Jimmy your post is confusing on many levels - and a little disturbing

– Shuggie

...and he couldn't find his hockey mask.

Register Sign in to join the conversation