Miscellaneous Rumbles

Songs You Consider Masterpieces

Too many to even start. I'd be typing for hours, and the list would be too long for anybody to read.

Everyone's list would be long and very different. Being a keyboard guy, I have to go along with Booker T and the MG's "Green Onions".

"Layla" is another great tune---except for that one absolutely horrid slide guitar note near the end.

Warren Zevon and John Hiatt both have many tunes that qualify.

Pete Seeger's "This Land Is Your Land" is as classic as they come.

Before I saw this thread, in the office today I was saying "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers is a masterpiece. Perfection in less than 2 minutes.

(I love this clip - the bass player lounging in the chair, the drummer's outfit. 1971 baby.)

Hank Williams I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Buck Owens Together Again, George Jones He Stopped Loving Her Today.

Misty is a classic by itself, but add Wes Montgomery to it and you get a masterpiece.

From Smokin' at the Half Note with the Wynton Kelly Trio:

My wife would murder me if I didn't put this one in:

I have too many categories I'd have to set up first and then begin compiling lists. One condition of note though for any song in any category......NO friggin' bagpipes! Accordions, neither here nor there.

Hanging on the telephone was originally by the nerves. But interesting to think of songs and versions of the songs as a fav

'walk on by' is one of my favs but which version? love isaac's version and the stranglers.

but i guess thats what makes a great song rather than just a great recording/production... does it sound good in many different styles. Lyrics are an important ingredient here.

You got to go a long way to beat Rock Around The Clock. The recording quality of that single is impeccable, even by today's standards. The best example of a recorded double bass I think I've ever heard.

– Deke Martin

When I started the thread I had that song in mind along with many others but only mentioned one song because I wanted to see what others had to say. But yes, "Rock Around The Clock" is a classic example of a song masterpiece.

"The Wonder Of You" by Elvis. Ray Peterson is the original. Both are Masterpieces since, well they are the same song but Elvis' has more strength or confidence all around.

"Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis

"Be Bop A Lula" by Gene Vincent

"Sleepwalk" by Santo And Johnny

"Wonderwall" by Oasis.

"Crying Waiting Hoping" by Buddy Holly by the way Marshall Crenshaws version is darn great

"Blue Days Black Nights" by Buddy Holly

I'm a sucker for old Statler Brothers tunes because they were my mom's favorite. "Class of '57" is the perfect ode to adolescent naivety.

Gotta agree with Deed on "He stopped loving her today."

And what about Willie?! "Crazy" and "Angel flying too close to the ground" are about as perfect as perfect gets.

I know that soul and R&B are not everyone's cup o' tea around here, but I'm gonna post this anyway.

Just one of MANY masterpieces by the MAN... this one is probably my single favorite Otis track.

And, the penultimate live take from Monterey '67.... What a showman.

And then, there's this... Jackie Wilson-- what a voice, what an arrangement. Killer from top to bottom. I would quit guitar in a New York minute if it meant being able to sing like this guy.

Before I saw this thread, in the office today I was saying "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers is a masterpiece. Perfection in less than 2 minutes.

(I love this clip - the bass player lounging in the chair, the drummer's outfit. 1971 baby.)

– drmilktruck

TWO thumbs up on this one!

"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas

"Time" by Pink Floyd

"Sound And Vision" by Bowie

"V2 Schnieder" by Bowie

"Since You're Gone" by The Cars

"My Best Friend's Girl" by The Cars

"Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits

"Hey Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley

"Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry

And while I'm at it, I'll take it in a different direction... It's currently sort of trendy to slam the Bradley/Atkins "countrypolitan" sound, but man.... there are some killer songs with great hooks, recorded by ace musicians-- and this little movement made "country music" more accessible to the masses.

Case in point, what I consider another masterpiece... Patsy Cline's rendition of Hank Cochran's "She's Got You"... With a whole slew of "A-Team" musicians at the helm (Grady Martin, Floyd Cramer, Buddy Harman, et. al), Owen Bradley produced a real gem here.

Just realized that all the songs I've posted have very similar feels and tempos... just coincidence-- I like upbeat stuff too. Guess I must have been in one of those moods when I hit this thread.

Everyone's list would be long and very different. Being a keyboard guy, I have to go along with Booker T and the MG's "Green Onions".

"Layla" is another great tune---except for that one absolutely horrid slide guitar note near the end.

Warren Zevon and John Hiatt both have many tunes that qualify.

Pete Seeger's "This Land Is Your Land" is as classic as they come.

– wabash slim

regarding your last sentence--- two examples:

Cab Calloway: Minnie The Moocher

Duke Ellington: Take the A Train

Mose Allison: Seventh Son

Little Richard: You Keep A Knockin

Rock & Roll Trio: Lonesome Train

Everly Brothers: All I Have To Do Is Dream

Buddy Holly: Well, All Right

Elvis: Jailhouse Rock

The Rolling Stones: Gimmie Shelter

Jerry Lee Lewis: Great Balls of Fire

Beatles: Tomorrow Never Knows

Clash: Death or Glory

Sex Pistols: Bodies

Descendents: Cheer

Television: See No Evil

Ramones: Blitzkrieg Bop

Fugazi: Bed For The Scraping

Midnight Oil: Redneck Wonderland

U2: I Will Follow

Bill Withers: Use Me Up

Steve Earle: The Revolution Starts Now

Violent Femmes: Add It Up

The Avengers: The American In Me

Chris Issak: Wicked Game

X: Devil Doll

The Knitters: The Call Of The Wreckin' Ball

Elvis Costello: The Other End Of The Telescope

Nick Lowe: What's So Funny About Peace, Love, And Understanding?

Bob Mould: Sinners and Their Repentances

Tom Petty: The Waiting

Bruce Springsteen: Johnny 99

Los Lobos: Riva's House

Blondie: Hangin' On The Telephone

David Bowie: Suffragette City

Tom Waits: Jockey Full Of Bourbon

– crowbone

Midnight Oil - Redneck Wonderland now that's one from left field but nice to see. I figured that album went unnoticed outside of Australia.

I'd throw in Midnight Oil Lucky Country, and Warakurna as absolute masterpieces from 2 completely different stages of their career. Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter, You Am I - Deliverance and Who Put The Devil in You. The Beatles - Blackbird and Revolution and lastly before everyone is asleep The Living End - All Torn Down.

Patsy Cline (Willy Nelson) - Crazy

Bowie - Five Years

Springsteen - Promised Land, The River, No Surrender, Tom Joad, City of Ruins

Beatles - She Said She Said, Lucy in the Sky, Got to get you into my life, A Day in the Life

Beach Boys - God Only Knows

Stones - Blood Red Wine, 100 Years Ago, Like A Rainbow, Play With Fire, Paint it Black

The Who - Can You See the Real Me

Kinks - Waterloo Sunset, Victoria, All of the Day and All of the Night, Village Green Preservation Society

Clash - Complete Control, London Calling, Something About England

U2 - Outta Control, With A Shout, Gloria, New Years Day, One

Prince - Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad, When You Were Mine, Purple Rain, Around the World in A Day, Sign o The Times

Elvis Costello - Less Than Zero, Watching the Detectives, Beyond Belief, Veronica, I Want You

OJs - Backstabbers

Four Tops - I'll Be There

Temptations - Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Stevie Wonder - As

The Cure - Boys Don't Cry

The Police - Walking on the Moon, Bring on The Night, Tea in the Sahara

Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone, When The Ship Comes In, Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, Hurricane, All Along the Watchtower, Blowin' In The Wind, Chimes of Freedom, Masters of War, My Back Pages

Simon and Garfunkel - Hazy Shade of Winter, Sounds of Silence

Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire, Hurt (original is sublime, Cash's cover is in a different stratosphere)

I'll stop there as life is calling.

"I know that soul and R&B are not everyone's cup o' tea around here, but I'm gonna post this anyway."

No argument here, TP. Jackie Wilson's the man.

Incidentally, it's been an education reading though this thread. As ever, it's each to his/her own of course. But I sometimes think that 'masterpiece' is one of those words like 'genius' and 'awesome' — somewhere along the line the bar has been, shall we say, lowered a little. And the OP did ask which songs, rather than performances, are regarded as masterpieces. IMO, in the the world of rock/pop music, many a silk purse has been made out of a sow's ear — and vice versa.

I'll throw these in — two crackers from Hoagy Carmichael given remarkable performances.

Tony Joe White-Polk Salad Annie !

And while I'm at it, I'll take it in a different direction... It's currently sort of trendy to slam the Bradley/Atkins "countrypolitan" sound - Tartan Phantom

Who in the world slams that? That, to my ears, is Classic Country production, and Owen Bradley gave such sweet treatments to songs that benefitted from it, that hearing any other version of such instantly makes me long for the ones with the Bradley mark on them.

Frank Sinatra - My Way

Richard Thompson - Beeswing

Nat King Cole - Nature Boy

Tony Bennett - The Lady Is A Tramp

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack

Ray Charles - Unchain My Heart

Johnny Cash - Hurt

James Brown - Sex Machine

Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours

Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot

Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl

Nirvana - Something In The Way

Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back

Sonics - Have Love Will Travel

Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

Stan Ridgeway - Cammoflage

Stewart Copeland/ Stan Ridgeway - Don't Box Me In

The Police - Message In A Bottle

REM - 7 Chinese Brothers

Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me

Nancy Sinatra - Boots

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

The Jam - That's Entertainment

The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make?

The Godfathers - Walkin Talkin Johnny Cash Blues

Joy Division - She's Lost Control

Mott The Hoople - Cleveland Rocks

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher

Steve Miller - The Joker

Sisters Of Mercy - Alice

Social Distortion - Ball And Chain

Husker Du - Makes No Sense At All

Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife

Patti Smith - Dancing Barefoot

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

Beach Boys - In my Room

Monkees - Valerie

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine

The live version of "Don't Do It" by the Band. Has to be (Rock of Ages) one of the best live recordings ever as well as one of the best Motown covers ever.

"How Soon Is Now?" by the Smiths.

"How Soon Is Now?" by the Smiths.

– macphisto

Any of the Smith's songs that end in a question mark, really.

I thought the thread was only for rock - A true masterpiece is the Ella Fitzgerald version of Love For Sale - Just WOW!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation