Miscellaneous Rumbles

Songs You Consider Masterpieces

Which songs do you consider masterpieces? I think we will see a wide variety of answers here. I think many classical sons fall into this territory but that's a given.

"Layla" by Derek and the Dominos I consider a masterpiece. Clapton and his band did good here.

Elvis, Scotty and Bill's "That's Alright" recorded on July 5th 1954 is a masterpiece.

Also, in my opinion, Eddie Cochran's simple rockabilly classic "Twenty Flight Rock" recorded for the movie "The Girl Can't Help It" (not the re-recorded version on Liberty Records with the Johnny Mann Singers on backing chorus) in 1956 is an absolute masterpiece of the genre.

You got to go a long way to beat Rock Around The Clock. The recording quality of that single is impeccable, even by today's standards. The best example of a recorded double bass I think I've ever heard.

In total agreement with "Layla". Clapton was never again to reach such heights.

As for others, too many to list. However, I will mention "Fields of Gold" by Sting, and Booker T's "Green Onions" as special favorites...

Rip it up by Little Richard - Just a fantastic recording -

"Something" by The Beatles and written by George. Lyrics are simple, and nothing extraordinary happens arrangement-wise, but it is my favorite example of understated perfection in a song.

"Something" by The Beatles and written by George. Lyrics are simple, and nothing extraordinary happens arrangement-wise, but it is my favorite example of understated perfection in a song.

– Mark StJohn

Not to mention that it contains the best guitar solo in a Beatles song...

Cab Calloway: Minnie The Moocher

Duke Ellington: Take the A Train

Mose Allison: Seventh Son

Little Richard: You Keep A Knockin

Rock & Roll Trio: Lonesome Train

Everly Brothers: All I Have To Do Is Dream

Buddy Holly: Well, All Right

Elvis: Jailhouse Rock

The Rolling Stones: Gimmie Shelter

Jerry Lee Lewis: Great Balls of Fire

Beatles: Tomorrow Never Knows

Clash: Death or Glory

Sex Pistols: Bodies

Descendents: Cheer

Television: See No Evil

Ramones: Blitzkrieg Bop

Fugazi: Bed For The Scraping

Midnight Oil: Redneck Wonderland

U2: I Will Follow

Bill Withers: Use Me Up

Steve Earle: The Revolution Starts Now

Violent Femmes: Add It Up

The Avengers: The American In Me

Chris Issak: Wicked Game

X: Devil Doll

The Knitters: The Call Of The Wreckin' Ball

Elvis Costello: The Other End Of The Telescope

Nick Lowe: What's So Funny About Peace, Love, And Understanding?

Bob Mould: Sinners and Their Repentances

Tom Petty: The Waiting

Bruce Springsteen: Johnny 99

Los Lobos: Riva's House

Blondie: Hangin' On The Telephone

David Bowie: Suffragette City

Tom Waits: Jockey Full Of Bourbon

Not to mention that it contains the best guitar solo in a Beatles song...

– General_Lee

I agree. Give me this solo or most any David Gilmour solo over flashy, fast playing.

I agree. Give me this solo or most any David Gilmour solo over flashy, fast playing.

– Mark StJohn

Way back when, I read a quote about Steve Cropper (Booker T and the MG's) that went something like "Steve Cropper could play more in seven notes than most metal players could get out of a 20-minute solo".

I hate to sound like an old grouch (even if I am), but I'm not impressed by speed or flash. I see tons of players on YouTube that can play faster or flashier than I ever will, but very few can make me actually feel something when they play. Mark Knopfler, on the other hand, can move me to tears.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles. The energy, the texture of murky and vivid tones, the drive, the vocals. It's pure perfection.

Nary a mention of Stairway yet? Too obvious?

I'll go with something (almost) contemporary. "I Am The Resurrection" by the Stone Roses. It's absolutely perfect.

"One Tree Hill" by U2.

Les feuilles mortes, de Prévert et Kozma.

Shadowlands by Ryan Adams. Three chords (I V IV?) in the same pattern through the whole song, but amazing conveyance of differing moods / feelings and a sense of separated sections are conveyed through melodic changes. The guy is just a songwriting genius.

Here's a few that come to mind.

"Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd

"Rebel Rouser" - Mr. Eddy!

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" - CSN

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin'' - Rolling Stones

"All Along the Watchtower" - both Dylan and Hendrix

"Woodstock" - Joni Mitchell

"Mrs. Robinson" - Simon and Garfunkel

"Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters

"One Way Out" - Allman Brothers Filmore East version

"How High the Moon" - Les Paul and Mary Ford

This is too hard...

When I try to spit them all out as fast as my brain can go I slur my words.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles. The energy, the texture of murky and vivid tones, the drive, the vocals. It's pure perfection.

– Afire

Well, since we're on the subject of the Beatles, I will also include in their list of masterpieces, not a song, but rather the opening chord(?) to "A Hard Day's Night". Truly one of the most emotive, mysterious, and memorable, moments in the annals of musical milestone. Oh my, the miraculous harmonic overtone!

CHWWAAANNNNGGG...

Beatles "Hey Jude"

Django Reinhardt " Nuages "

Jack The Ripper - Nick Cave Monkey Gone To Heaven - Pixies Fire Walker - BRMC Let Me Roll It + 1985 - Paul McCartney So Like Candy - Elvis Costello Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday Life On Mars - David Bowie

So many more but that'll do for now!

I would add "The Boxer " - Simon and Garfunkel to the growing list.

And "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder.

In no order, since my #1 will be later:

Another of my Dead Musician series. But, I learned to love him while he was alive, thankfully. Never did get to see him in concert, which was a goal. This song; this singer; this video; simply magnificent.

If I were to have but one song, forever, it would have to be Amazing Grace. This with the lovely bagpipes is one of my most favorite versions:

I agree that Something is wonderful. And, I resonate deeply with My Sweet Lord. But, this is "IT" for me. Here's one version of zillions.

Register Sign in to join the conversation