Miscellaneous Rumbles

Songs about Horses

The Byrds: "Chestnut Mare"

Even though in Extended Metaphor Land it may not really be about a horse, it's categorically and objectively, without shred of doubt, the best-ever horse song.

Not to mention attaining a mighty lofty elevation in the Byrds' catalog.

I hereby drop the mic on this topic.

I know I brought it up in the other thread but Heroin by the Velvet Underground is about horse.

The rarely heard vocal version... in this case, "The Horse" is a dance.

And the more well-known instrumental version--

Tennessee Stud- Eddy Arnold.

Tennessee Stud

Which probably isn't only about a horse either...

"Wildfire","El Paso" (well kinda-sorta), Wild Horses"

I'll just have that mic, Proteus. There, dropped properly now.

Well, I suppose "Ghost Riders in the Sky" gets into this category, which might challenge "Chestnut Mare" for the mic drop.

It also beats "Champion, The Wonder Horse," which only evokes the supernatural (while making with the same wild west musical heroics, so credit for that).

The Man in Black just picked up your mic:

And I like my "Ghost Riders" with a touch of samba:

I had this record when I was a kid:

Just bet on......Stewball. Take your pick -- either The Coasters or Lonnie Donegan.

So, let me get this straight- Champion the Wonder Horse is too supernatural to make the cut, but Ghost Riders in the Sky gets in. Tut, tut.

We've seen the show- Champion was a real horse. A heroic creature. Dignified. Like Lassie, only faster. Or Flipper, but with legs.

Any more of this and I'll post 'Horse Latitudes'. Then you'll all be in the doldrums.

The all-time best horse song isn't actually a song ... or about a horse. But it evokes galloping hooves better than anything else I've ever heard. AND it has French Horns!

Once again..."Panama Red"

"...on his White Horse Mescalito he come breezin' thru town..."

Any more of this and I'll post 'Horse Latitudes'.

"Horse Latitudes!" That's a good'un right there. I mean, it's not much of a poem (or song) - but it's a brilliant mention.

Possibly little-known IIRC factoid: it was the first Morrison poetry turned into a Doors song. It's a wonder the project proceeded after that: "Uh...OK, what else you got, Jimbo?"

So, let me get this straight- Champion the Wonder Horse is too supernatural to make the cut, but Ghost Riders in the Sky gets in. Tut, tut.

Nono, I intended my post to say that "Ghost Riders" is more supernatural, and thus more betterer than "Champ," because of course. I was admitting that "Champ" was partially supernatural...or at least heroic-turning-into-myth.

Once again..."Panama Red"

Good ol' New Riders, huh? What a great all-purpose song - what a great all-purpose band. My favorite "country rockers" by some measure, which is odd because I'm generally more of a rocker than a country boy, and the NRPS are more country than rock. But golly they were smooth, clever, melodic, tasteful, rippin' good, lots of things. Entertaining, easy on the ear, and always interesting in detail.

I know Garcia only played banjo and steel on the first album, but he kinda set a mold for the band's sound. Those are both instruments which tend to be overplayed in dense clusters of toomanynotes, in too many clichéd ways. Jerry had the consummate musical approach to both, always attending to how the parts fit with the rest of the ensemble. If I have a favorite 5-string banjoteer, it's Jerry - and, likewise, his steel work is spare, melodic, and soulful.

I used to cover several NRPS songs. In 1976-77, when I was living in Madison NJ, I visited Bell Labs engineer and bluegrass fiddler Tex Logan several times at his house and jammed - or, rather, provided acoustic rhythm behind his fiddle and the contributions of other local luminaries. Couple guys from New Riders came to the area for a club gig during that interlude, and I went along with the entourage to the gig, and back at Tex's house afterward for jams. Good memories...

Just horsin' around, you know.

At the risk of being tar and feathered for naming a modern country song - "Whiskey for my Men, Beer for My Horses".

The all-time best horse song isn't actually a song ... or about a horse. But it evokes galloping hooves better than anything else I've ever heard. AND it has French Horns!

– Parabar

Hi Yo, Silver!

Crazy Horses by the Osmonds. And yes, I know it's about pollution

NRPS are just Country enough, just Swing enough, just a little Rockin' in a Dead kinda way. Great stuff before the Eagles tookover...

Time for another listen...

And Patti Smith had a song about horses too, can't remember the title.

Register Sign in to join the conversation