Miscellaneous Rumbles

Songs About Drugs

I think it more outrageous that we've got to 4 pages and no one has mentioned The Beatles' "Dr Roberts."

How can this even be?

Now I've mentioned it, though.

I think it more outrageous that we've got to 4 pages and no one has mentioned The Beatles' "Dr Roberts."

How can this even be?

Now I've mentioned it, though.

– Proteus

Hey, he works for the National Health. They’re not drugs if they’re medically prescribed!

Thus again the Beatles were ahead of the curve, anticipating the Dr-prescribing pill mills of Purdue Pharma's Oxycontin nation...

Four pages into it and no one has mentioned "There She Goes" by the La's

And then there's Itchykoo Park

"Minnie the Moocher" is pretty druggy. to quote Wikipedia:

The lyrics are heavily laden with drug references. The character "Smokey" is described as "cokey", meaning a user of cocaine; the phrase "kick the gong around" was a slang reference to smoking opium.>

In fact a whole lot of Cab Calloways Repertoire is drug related.

Sunny Goodge Street - Donovan

What a player Jim is. He should get more love here.

Ivy Ivy, Primal Scream.

Eight Miles High - Bryds

5th Dimension - Byrds

What's Going On - Byrds edit. the song title is acutally What's Happening?

All these "songs about" topics are pushing me to take drugs.

Addendum: I love dogs, I love horses, I never cared for or tried drugs.

...------

I never cared for or tried drugs.

Well...not to address the obvious, but how do you know?

I've seen enough people around me use drugs, and their behavior and how many of them turned out gives insight.

All good, carry on!

Someone start a topic regarding "songs about fishing, or bowling, maybe shooting guns"!

...------

The Fugs - I Couldn't Get High (Later covered by The Fat Boys)

The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet (About heroin use)

The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling (Allegedly about heroin use)

The Ramones - We're A Happy Family

Bo Diddley - Pills (Covered by The New York Dolls)

The Scorchers - Broken Whiskey Glass

The Sonics - Strychnine

The Tubes - White Punks On Dope

The last band I played with had a number of songs about drugs. The band was Nigel And The Attempted Suicides (NATAS). Nigel wrote the songs, and had a colorful life, that wasn't very kind to him. Eventually Nigel killed himself, and I took over his spot playing guitar and singing, since the other 2 members wanted to continue. I'm a fairly upright, straitlaced citizen, and have never gotten into anything beyond booze and weed. So the first time that my very long time friend the drummer heard me singing a song called Naked Meth (about a 3 day meth bender that ends in rolling around naked on the carpet, he actually fell off of his drum stool.

Other song titles include Circles and Triangles (about the prescription pills he was given by shrinks), My Achin' Brain (mostly hangovers and long lasting effects), Bad Boyfriend (mentions stealing kids ADD drugs), Jesus Broke My Pipe (yep, Jesus broke his meth pipe, though we don't know if it was the Jesus, or someone with that name), and Not a Junkie (making an important distinction that when he was found on the verge of ODing from heroin, it was a suicide attempt not because he was a junkie).

A troubled soul, brilliant dude, but his brain ran full speed 24/7, which generally made him kinda crazy, and the drugs were the only way to calm things down. He never got the treatment he needed in my mind, and it's sad to see how it all went down. I didn't know him that well, but in my younger years he was a musical influence of a very high degree (also a Gretsch slinger with a Monkees model that was his whole world).

I hope he found some peace, and now that all 3 members of his previous band that had such a huge impact on me have all killed themselves, maybe they are making noise together somewhere.

Sorry, this got heavy, but there is for sure some major humor in me singing those tunes, and we always let the audience in on the joke too. We also used the situation to let people know that there is always someone around who cares. So if nothing else, maybe I convinced someone to call a friend before doing something stupid.

Though not specifically about drugs as Roger Waters has explained, "Comfortably Numb" certainly expands on one Rock star's trip down the Heroin highway as a result of variables in his life that are out of whack.

Here's one I thought would've been mentioned but I think I'm the first:

Well, so far as the pure plot of "Numb" goes (which is not nearly as far as its metaphorical application), it centers on getting a shot of some pharmaceutical in order that the show might go on.

In the lives of many performers (and even politicos and presidents: see John Kennedy's secret medical life), there's a fine - I would say invisible - line between "drugs" and "medicine." Those who have personal doctors in attendance, equipped with every sort of pharma, may as well have (and often do/did have) dealers.

It's a matter of who does the prescribing, and who defines what's bad-evil-nasty-drug and what's medicine.

Eight Miles High - Bryds

5th Dimension - Byrds

What's Going On - Byrds edit. the song title is acutally What's Happening?

– Mark G

I feel compelled to push back against Eight Miles High. Cite your sources. Other than having the word high in the title, lyrically that song is all about the band’s first trip to England. And while it does descend into a bit of an improv freak out, the band claimed inspiration from Coltrane and Ravi Shankar. I love that song to death and have probably listened to it on repeat at least a dozen times in a sitting.

Well, so far as the pure plot of "Numb" goes (which is not nearly as far as its metaphorical application), it centers on getting a shot of some pharmaceutical in order that the show might go on.

In the lives of many performers (and even politicos and presidents: see John Kennedy's secret medical life), there's a fine - I would say invisible - line between "drugs" and "medicine." Those who have personal doctors in attendance, equipped with every sort of pharma, may as well have (and often do/did have) dealers.

It's a matter of who does the prescribing, and who defines what's bad-evil-nasty-drug and what's medicine.

– Proteus

Dr. Feelgood and the weekly trips to midtown Manhattan for President Kennedy.... I know the story very well.

I think any chemical ingestion to will one's body and mind, that otherwise might be compromised because of rigors of sleep deprivation, mental anguish over personal issues, and compound mental impairment from previous/build-up substances that affect chemicals, hormones and especially neuron and glia synaptic networks in the brain can be quite "comfortable" to any deserving patient to "numb" a pain that ails them and decreases quality of life.

Pharma can help. Xanax for panic attacks? It can be a good short-term treatment for panic attacks if they are actually from a physical ailment like the reuptake of Serotonin or ineffective transition of GABA to receptors that "manage" the fight/flight response. Percocet for a back strain? OK. It all comes with a risk. I found out not long ago that my triglyceride numbers were horribly high.....as in over 900! The culprit? Science rarely gives us the answers but having truthfully laid out all the variables, and that includes a healthy workout regimen, the culprit seems to have been a steady intake of Benadryl. Yup. Apparently most anti-histamines can either provide false positive numbers or actually increase fat in the blood.....or both. My cholesterol was decent for both LDL and HDL and overall # at 155.....certainly not reflective of an individual with cosmic triglyceride #s.

OK, I'll stop my chemical spewing but the topic really interests me.

I believe Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" has multiple layers of meaning and applicable paired with the right situation. At it simplest, I believe it is colored with Syd Barret's plight......someone I believe did suffer from a type of mental illness that was horribly affected by chemical substances foreign to his body's natural make-up. LSD though appeared not to have any noticeable affects to Cary Grant that we know of and he sure liked it.

After really listening to the lyrics, not surprised to learn this Zeppelin tune from Presence is about Cocaine use.

Register Sign in to join the conversation