Miscellaneous Rumbles

Songs About Drugs

Billy Joel- "Captain Jack"

Beatles - Fixing a Hole

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

Social Distortion-Drug Train. Several others as well.

The Black Crowes- Horsehead, and dozens more.

that about says it, I guess. Proteus

How about this one too? > "Feed your head" - the last line of the song!

"White Rabbit" is a song written by Grace Slick and recorded by the American rock band Jefferson Airplane for their 1967 album Surrealistic Pillow.

Lynyrd Skynrnd - Needle and the Spoon! This one really says it all!

Donovan's "Fat Angel" was written after seeing the Airplane at the Fillmore while high on acid and references them. His song "The Trip" is also a famous drug tune. On the other hand, his song "Mellow Yellow" included a line about an "electrical banana" which at the time was thought to reference smoking banana peels, but Donovan later 'fessed up that it was actually a reference to a vibrator. Maybe Steely Dan got the idea from him.

By the way, Donovan's backing band on this album included one Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass and keyboards. So despite Mr. Leitch' s reputation as a fey flower child, he was backed by half of Led freakin' Zeppelin.

– Parabar

And don't forget his duet with Alice Cooper on Billion Dollar Babies!

Gillian Welch - My Morphine

Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

CCKMP - Steve Earle

Ed Sullivan thought The Doors' "Light My Fire" was druggy.

Charlie Daniels -- Wildwood Weed

And if Mr Tambourine Man isn't referencing drug use, I have no idea what it means.

Some people (not the songwriters, though...) claim this is a drug song.

The scene in "Meet the Parents" is quite funny IMO...

Canned Heat-Amphetimine Annie ! Link

I'm pretty sure Iggy Pop wrote most of China Girl, if not all.

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Mr. Brownstone - Guns n' Roses

I'm pretty sure Iggy Pop wrote most of China Girl, if not all.

– shane kislack

I don't know the percentage was Bowie or Iggy Pop but Bowie says it's about the westernization of Chinese women by Europeans. Both Bowie and Pop have songwriting credit. Unless he lied about it it's not about drugs. This was on a clip of Bowie that was on YouTube.

But on Wiki, according to a Bowie Bio it says -

"Paul Trynka, the author of David Bowie biography, Starman, explains the song was inspired by Iggy Pop's infatuation with Kuelan Nguyen, a Vietnamese woman, as a metaphor for his Stooges career."

So which is it? Westernization of Chinese women by Europeans or Iggy Pop's infatuation with Kuelan Nguyen, a Vietnamese woman, as a metaphor for his Stooges career.? Maybe Bowie and Iggy Pop had a different thought when they co-wrote the song.

I guess "Vietnamese Girl" wouldn't have the same commercial appeal as "China Girl".

Nile Rodgers thought it was about Heroine and Cocaine but he didn't write it, Bowie and Pop did.

Amphetamines:

Artificial Energy - The Byrds

Snaggletooth - Motörhead

White Girls on Amphetamine - Pink Fairies

Screamin' Skull - Fleshtones

Champions - Wire

Bop Pills - Carl Perkins

Seventeen - Sex Pistols (passing reference)

That's Entertainment - The Jam (passing reference)

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed (passing reference)

All the Young Punks -The Clash (passing reference)

Drugs in general:

Drugs - Talking Heads

My Drug Buddy - Lemonheads

Drug Train -The Cramps

Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad, Hateful - The Clash

Cocaine:

Too many to count, including obvious ones like JJ Cale/Clapton's Cocaine and Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues. Grandmaster Flash's White Lines is a real standout.

LSD:

Takin' LSD - Pink Fairies

1-2-5 - The Haunted

... and many more.

I have other things to do with my day, but there's a tip-of-the-iceberg list for now.

Btw, Iggy is 100% responsible for all the lyrics on The Idiot and Lust For Life. Bowie wrote most of the music, but Ricky Gardner contributed heavily to The Passenger, and Hunt and Tony Sayles to Lust For Life.

Also, I've never heard of Bowie having a dope habit. Cocaine? Alcohol? God yes, and for years. Iggy, of course, was a pretty serious junkie for quite a while, but he'd take pretty much anything he was offered. He used to pretend that he didn't take drugs any more, but now he says that he's not drug-free but is "drug-reasonable." He used to cop on my brother's old block in the East Village around the time of Brick By Brick when everyone thought he was clean.

Btw, Iggy is 100% responsible for all the lyrics on The Idiot and Lust For Life. Bowie wrote most of the music, but Ricky Gardner contributed heavily to The Passenger, and Hunt and Tony Sayles to Lust For Life.

Also, I've never heard of Bowie having a dope habit. Cocaine? Alcohol? God yes, and for years. Iggy, of course, was a pretty serious junkie for quite a while, but he'd take pretty much anything he was offered. He used to pretend that he didn't take drugs any more, but now he says that he's not drug-free but is "drug-reasonable." He used to cop on my brother's old block in the East Village around the time of Brick By Brick when everyone thought he was clean.

– seadevil

Must be about the Vietnamese woman Pop was infatuated with since he wrote the lyrics but in Bowie's mind it was about the Westernization of Chinese women by Europeans. Pop wanted to marry Nguyen but she later had a kid and married some French guy instead. I think this shows this song has nothing to do with drugs altho some think it does and I don't mean the "some" as GDP members, I mean various people like Nile Rodgers and fans of music. Makes sense Bowie wrote the music and Pop wrote the lyrics.

Not every song is about something specific. Songwriters often like to start from the personal and work toward the universal, and sometimes the words just sound cool and ambiguously evocative. Scattered thoughts sometimes coalesce into something even the author doesn't fully understand.

Back to China Girl: "I'll give you eyes of blue, I'll give you men who want to rule the world" seems to have as much to do with Nazis as it does the Westernization of East Asians. And china, as opposed to China, is also fragile and breakable. The song works on many levels. I prefer the Iggy version by a wide margin.

Acapulco Goldie - Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. And let's not forget Penicillin Penny by the same.

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Mr. Brownstone - Guns n' Roses

– Gerry Ratrod

I had no idea about "Mr. Brownstone". Maybe I don't listen to the lyrics closely. Oddly I thought it was about a guy living in a Brownstone in NYC.

Register Sign in to join the conversation