Miscellaneous Rumbles

Socially Powerful Songs

Jackson Browne's song "Lives In The Balance" gets the Third World treatment:

Seriously? Nothing from the Boss yet? You Jersey guys are slippin'.

I'll start.

– Curt Wilson

Stevie's full of them.

few may know about this guy and his impact on South African society - but his story is covered in the movie "Searching For Sugarman" .......

And the all-time worst attempt at a socially powerful song, and in my humble opinion...no wait, not an opinion. Fact. The worst song ever. I present to you:

That song taught me that when you hate something enough, it almost starts to feel like love.

Black Day in July by Gord Lightfoot was so powerful that it was socially banned from being played by radio stations across the US.

Glen Campbelll singing one of the few songs he wrote himself- "Fate of Man". Surprisingly dark, and in this vid, the images are pretty powerful.

I’m torn between Shake Your Booty and Say You, Say Me.

A quick list from "The Boss":

1) My Hometown

2) American Land

3) Born In the USA

4) This Hard Land

5) My Depression

6) The Ghost of Tom Joad

7) Sinaloa Cowboys

8) Straight Time

9) My City's In Ruins

10) 41 Shots

11) We Take Care Of Our Own

12) Land Of Hope and Dreams

13) Easy Money

14) Shackled and Drawn

15) Devils and Dust

16) Black Cowboys

Whew!!!!!

Guys...I thought the heading said SONICALLY powerful songs. I'm sorry. My mistake.

Janis Joplin - “Mercedes Benz”. She even tells us that it is a song of great social and political import in the intro.

And the all-time worst attempt at a socially powerful song, and in my humble opinion...no wait, not an opinion. Fact. The worst song ever. I present to you:

That song taught me that when you hate something enough, it almost starts to feel like love.

– Afire

It seemed like that was nearly the only song on the radio while I was in USAF basic training. Hated it then, hate it now.

Luckily, the other song in heavy rotation was Crows' "Evil Woman".

so many great songs here..

The overwhelming majority of those tunes slagged America.The only one I can think of that has anything positive to say is "Sweet Home Alabama". ...don't need ol' Neil around,anyhow-even if he does play a WF

Seriously? Nothing from the Boss yet? You Jersey guys are slippin'.

– Suprdave

From our Hoosier brothers---

John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses", "Jack and Diane", and others fit the bill.

John Hiatt has quite a few as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation