Miscellaneous Rumbles

So I went to the doctor…

Rub some dirt on it, kid. Seriously, at least you had the sense to go to a doctor.

I've had a copper-plated steel Crosman BB in the pad of my left index fingertip since 1977 from a careless teenage accident. Thing is, there were two BB's in the chamber, not one (I didn't know this at the time). I got the first one out, and thought that was it, but later discovered (after the wound healed) that there's still another one in there.

Thing is, I never even picked up a guitar until 1985, so there was plenty of time between the accident and my venture into fretted instruments...and it's never affected my playing... or maybe it has.

Well since every body talking bloody wounds.......When I was a kid, was at my grandmothers playing with an old push reel mower when I chopped my right little finger off.....just hangin on by a sliver of skin. My poor old grandmother damn near had a heart attack, but she gathered me up and toted me to the hospital emergency room which was only about 2 blocks form her house. Doctor stitched me back together without anesthesia in the interest of getting blood flow back to my finger as quick as possible. He did an excellent job....finger has full strength and movement and you cant tell it was ever cut off by looking. Really glad, use that finger a lot to anchor my picking hand.

Can't top Prot, though I too have been through a rollover accident and banged my head pretty good.

But when I was 14 and just a few months into learning guitar, a small error with the school wood shop's bandsaw caused me to suddenly part ways with part of my left thumb about an inch below the tip. This was thanks in part to the thickness of the wood being cut (1 inch alder) and in part to the sudden slamming of the shop door just as I finished the cut. My mistake - and it was not a small one- was a quick glance up to see who was coming in just as I finished the intricate cut.

Bandsaw blades both sharp and gawd-awful quick. In less than an instant the only thing connecting the parts of my suddenly two-piece sectional thumb was the nail, so I did the only things I could- grab a filthy shop rag, mash the tip back on and head for the office, where the secretary fainted dead away at the sight of me coming through the door, leaving the principal to dial 911 at the same time as he was trying to revive his assistant, all while I sat in a chair and tried not to bleed on the floor. But I did get my first ride in an ambulance out of it.

Stitches helped, flesh and bone knit nicely, and to all intents I was back in business in less than two months, but with two very important differences. First, I lost all sensation in the reattached portion, and to this day, my left hand grip of anything from a fork to the neck of my guitar is based entirely on the "feel" coming from the opposing fingers, not the thumb, which has tingled mildly 24/7 for a little over 50 years now.

Interestingly, when I hit my so-called "growth spurt" not long afterwards, my thumb did not join the party. I shot up (from 5'5" to 5'9") in about four months, but that left thumb utterly failed to keep up. To this day it is nearly 3/4ths of an inch shorter than the right, which makes using the thumb on the low E string tricky.

Still, it's there. If they had not been able to reattach it, things might've turned out different.

Rub some dirt on it, kid. Seriously, at least you had the sense to go to a doctor.

I've had a copper-plated steel Crosman BB in the pad of my left index fingertip since 1977 from a careless teenage accident. Thing is, there were two BB's in the chamber, not one (I didn't know this at the time). I got the first one out, and thought that was it, but later discovered (after the wound healed) that there's still another one in there.

Thing is, I never even picked up a guitar until 1985, so there was plenty of time between the accident and my venture into fretted instruments...and it's never affected my playing... or maybe it has.

– Tartan Phantom

Yeah - the BB story - that’s the ticket.......

Oh and by the way, it’s a good thing you didn’t shoot your eye out!

I could fill a page on the stupid stuff I've done to my digits, over the years.

Tripping over my dog and falling in the kitchen with my pinky landing in the cabinet handle this year was a game changer, for a couple of weeks. Ten stitches and then a week later, ten more. That one was tough and it bled more getting stitches than it did getting injured.

It sounds like many of us, are like Chet, in the respect that we like to put our digits at risk with working on wood, or cars.

Recently I had surgery on my right shoulder. I asked the doctor if I would be able to raise my shoulder. He said "you probably could, but you won't want to." True dat! I tried though, working my way from big guitars to smaller and smaller guitars. Finally was able to put a ukulele across my chest and strum without lifting the shoulder. It wasn't even a Gretsch ukulele!

Sigh!

These are great stories. I don't know when I've enjoyed the injuries of others more!

Schadenfreude uber alles!

Well, at least you guys seem to be mostly dangerous only to yourselves . . .

Register Sign in to join the conversation