Miscellaneous Rumbles

Shuggie and Danman: Old friends finally meet!

Shuggie and I have been in constant communication about all things guitars and life in general since he contacted me through the GDP in 2008. We both repair, fix up and build guitars and we have been giving each other all kinds of advice ever since. Shuggie knows infinitely more about amps and electronics than I do so I learn a lot about that from him too. But mostly he also is just a very cool and fun person to talk to and very giving and open about his knowledge.

So we have considered each other good friends for a long time. We Facetimed twice but never actually met…. until this Thursday when Shuggie came to Amsterdam for a few days with his lovely wife Ruby and we could spend some time together. It’s funny, he was exactly the same as I thought he would be. Needless to say we had a great time together, mostly boring our better halves with lots of guitar talk...... ; )

We said we would take a good picture posing with guitars to post here but we forgot and ended up taking a very quick selfie just before they got in the cab back to the hotel…..

Very cool. I've done a few such meets, and they're always rewarding.

Great to put some faces with names, too. Thanks for posting!

What a strange world we live in when I finally get to meet someone I've considered a great friend for over a decade.

Danman really looked after us in Amsterdam and we had a fantastic time. The picture was taken just after we'd finished a memorable Indonesian meal with my wife Ruby and Danman's lovely partner Cecilia. As you can probably tell from the pic, some alcohol was involved.

Likewise Danman was as I expected, and I found we have just as much to talk about walking around art galleries as we do about guitars. The only annoying thing about him is that I think his fret work is better than mine - no doubt the 'winky face' will fail to show up but just for clarity I'm serious about the fretwork and joking about the annoyance

I should also say he did Ruby a great kindness by helping us get into the Anne Frank museum.

Played some of Danman's fab guitar collection and then went over to his local guitar store and played a bunch more. I could say it was vintage Gretsch overload, but we all know there's no such thing.

So basically I can't wait to go back and plans are afoot...

Thanks Shuggie!

The only annoying thing about him is that I think his fret work is better than mine - no doubt the 'winky face' will fail to show up but just for clarity I'm serious about the fretwork and joking about the annoyance

That's probably just a matter of showing you the good work in good light and the rest in less good light.... ; )

very cool !!! it's great meeting with fellow GDPers. I've met quite a few over the years. and I'm still in touch with most of them.

Two nice guys in one pic!

Very cool! I love these stories.

This is the best part of the GDP. The friendships that we have all made, whether virtual or actual life. You both look like a couple of happy guys there (perhaps encouraged by the alcohol as Shuggie notes!).

Great story,cool beans!

Dan is an exceptional host. I miss seeing he and Walter like I used to. Was the meal at Restaurant Blauw? I miss that place too!

Yes Spike, that's the place. Pretty great huh?

We'd only had a couple Ric, we were like that pretty much the whole time

Dan is an exceptional host. I miss seeing he and Walter like I used to. Was the meal at Restaurant Blauw? I miss that place too!

– spike

yeah man. Come on back!

Awesome story. Another win for the GDP!

Great story, guys!!!

Who's who in the photo? And where was the photo taken?

That's fantastic! Definitely looks like you were having a good time by the smiles.
Great you guys got together and what an awesome area to do it in. I'd love to go back to Amsterdam for a trip sometime.
Cheers! Here's to the friendships that have been found on the GDP !

– spike

Yes, it's been a long time Spike. I miss your yearly visits too. It would be great if you could make it over again!

Great story, guys!!!

Who's who in the photo? And where was the photo taken?

– senojnad

Thanks! Shuggie's on the left and I'm on the right, taking the selfie.
It's in front of my house in Amsterdam. We quickly took it before Shuggie got in the cab.

Who's who in the photo? And where was the photo taken? -- senojnad

Dan, that is Shuggie on the left and Danman on the right.

Good timing Bob.... ; )

Good timing Bob.... ; )

– Danman

You know that old saying, Danman, about great minds thinking along the same lines. But, here we even took it to the new height of thinking along the same lines at the exact same moment in time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation