Miscellaneous Rumbles

Short comprison of a 65’ Tennessean vs. New Tennessee Rose

The modern one looks to be a pre-Chet signature version. Interesting that the pickups in the modern one were louder than in the original '65, as that is one of the beefs with the modern Tenny. I loved my G6119T-1962HT.

I just played one of the new Vintage Select Tennys with the TV Jones HiLos. I liked it . . . a lot!

Thanks for posting this comparison, Geoffrey! I always enjoy hearing you play . . . even if it's just noodling.

Cool. So did you keep the '65 or get the modern one. Both nice guitars.

This is the most important topic in the last 5 years - finally A/Bd new and old Hi Lo Tenny.

Although never a fan of Hi-Lo' Trons, I preferred the tone of the reissue.

My '05 Tenny's pickups are loud, contrary to what I'd always heard.

It would be great to know the output of each pickup on both guitar. My '63 tennessean pickups read:

3K neck 4K bridge.

And they sounds just perfect.

It would be great to know the output of each pickup on both guitar. My '63 tennessean pickups read:

3K neck 4K bridge.

And they sounds just perfect.

– guitarmike

3k and 4k resistance for vintage HiLo is what I've seen listed on the old pickup registry.

I played a '67 Tenny not too long ago, and I can't say I could suss out much difference between the sound and output of the vintage HiLos and the ones in my departed G6119T-1962HT Tenny. Nor could I tell much difference in the Vintage Select 62 Tenny I played last weekend.

I'm sure there are subtle differences . . .

I A/B'd my '65 Tenny against an '05 one a few years ago. From what I recall, they were similar but the three or four people there, including me, preferred the '65. Nothing scientific, but fun comparison.

I A/B'd my '65 Tenny against an '05 one a few years ago. From what I recall, they were similar but the three or four people there, including me, preferred the '65. Nothing scientific, but fun comparison.

– Baba Joe

All things being equal, performance-wise, I can see why the '65 would edge the modern one out.

Geoffrey, You say in your video you might trade the '65 for the reissue. What'd you decide.

I've had a '66 '67, 2012, 2014. I'm always surprised at how accurate the reissues are and better built.

Register Sign in to join the conversation