Miscellaneous Rumbles

San Francisco Uses High Tech To Enforce Parking Laws

I'm in favour. The "Big Brother" reference is inappropriate, don't you think? It's not like anyone's privacy is being invaded.

Do you have that thing in the US where people put their hazard lights on when they park illegally? Those people should be fined double.

Ric12, indeed this is total crap. While its motivation is revenues for the city, its still pisses me off. Especially when Police officers want to take away your cell phone if you film them on public streets. or placing you under false arrest in the case of Emily Good on her own property while she filmed them.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Sandy, it is an appropriate reference if one considers that, even though there are no parking enforcement officers, and no other outward signs of anyone enforcing parking laws, someone is still able to see you and issue you a citation for any violations observed.

I have no problem with enforcement of the law. Goodness knows, that is how I make a living. But, this is certainly a novel approach which I had not heard of before today.

Ric, that's crazy. If that happened here I would be shooting buses.

As I get older I my eyes get worse and I need bigger targets.

I wonder how they differentiate between standing and parking? can you legally stand in a no parking zone? I should probably know this.

I'd move !#$@% As in out of state !#$@% Taking your tax money to fund bus cameras to bilk you out of more money !#$@% ludicrous !#$@%

It is not illegal to stand in a No Parking zone in NYC. At the end of the vid, they make it clear that that's not the case in SF, at least where this particular guy pulled over. A medical emergency or vehicle failure might constitute an exception, but they got him fair and square.

Seems like a low-cost approach to dealing with douchebag parking, with, I'd imagine, a relatively straightforward procedure for addressing errors.

I live in a CCTV-rich country, and I can see this idea being taken up here, and embraced. Initially there was vehement opposition to cameras "recording" our every public move; but, despite dire warnings at the time, the fat end of the totalitarian wedge failed to show up.

Cybernetically-implanted "parking pigeons" that are programmed to swarm and poop on illegally parked cars. I'm submitting the patent right now.

Ric12, indeed this is total crap. While its motivation is revenues for the city, its still pisses me off. Especially when Police officers want to take away your cell phone if you film them on public streets. or placing you under false arrest in the case of Emily Good on her own property while she filmed them.

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

Wait a minute, don't they have guns in America to prevent that from happening?

– TheNocturneBrain.com

Hear hear! There are way too many crooked/dirty cops getting away with murder (actually a local Sheriff & several deputies are being investigated for just that, plus covering it up).

When my wife retires next year, we're thinking of moving to either mainland Europe, the UK, or Philippines. Those people make me embarrassed to be American.

– Jetrow

– Jetrow

Xenophobic knee jerk

Wait until they start using our EZ Pass to time us between tolls so they can mail us speeding tickets. It will happen.

Brilliant intuition, chrisbo. That would be the logical extension of this type of thinking, wouldn't it?

No different than patrolling the highways from the air. I'm not a fan of San Francisco, in general. If you google San Francisco and Parking and Racket you'll get more information than you could have ever hoped for

This is just one more attempt at an already convoluted scheme to drive revenue for a city that wastes money faster than maybe even the federal government.

Instead of bitching, I just spend as little time in that shithole as possible. I hate the fact that I have to spend the money I do spend there because of the ballet, etc... C'est la vie.

For anyone who hasn't actually been to SF and tried to park or decipher the ever changing time restrictions on parking, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Wait until they start using our EZ Pass to time us between tolls so they can mail us speeding tickets. It will happen.

– chrisbo

– chrisbo

I think some states (Ohio, Penn) already issue warnings and maybe even tickets.

No different than patrolling the highways from the air. I'm not a fan of San Francisco, in general. If you google San Francisco and Parking and Racket you'll get more information than you could have ever hoped for

This is just one more attempt at an already convoluted scheme to drive revenue for a city that wastes money faster than maybe even the federal government.

Instead of bitching, I just spend as little time in that shithole as possible. I hate the fact that I have to spend the money I do spend there because of the ballet, etc... C'est la vie.

For anyone who hasn't actually been to SF and tried to park or decipher the ever changing time restrictions on parking, you have no idea what you're talking about.

– Bonedaddy

I have a sister living on Pierce Street in San Francisco. She agrees with your assessment. Not sure even SF can waste money faster than our government though. The two small towns I live near are broke as well. Their desperation is becoming palpable. It is possible to pass as many as five speed traps in a twelve mile stretch between them. All in the name of safety of course. I don't go anywhere without my cruise control set. Bad enough they told me my six year old pickup truck appreciated last year for the purpose of personal property taxes, I don't need to be giving them any additional road tax. I called them and asked how a pickup truck can appreciate. They replied, "Sometimes they do that." I had nothing further to say at that point. They might as well just rob me at gunpoint and get it over with. I hear things are going to be worse next year. Unlike the fed, these small towns can't just print money out of thin air. Somethings got to give.

Hey Jeff O Isn't xenophobia a fear of foreigners? Please expand, I do not understand your post.

Jeff O I'm just knocking your door. :D

Big Brother is not the government in the U.S., Big Brother is corporations gathering data on you. Research that sometime, it's a tad unsettling.

From the time I've spent in SF, they might as well just give up on parking -- and driving, for that matter -- altogether. They're obviously terrible at it, and not particularly interested in it.

– Jetrow

Xenophobic knee jerk

– Jeffrey Osowski

– Jetrow

Xenophobic knee jerk

– Jeff O(pulent Pauper)

Nah I ain't skeert of no Merkins. We git em' all the time up here. It just seems that people go on and on about needing guns to fight off (the British?) that come invading and tyrannical governments wanting to take all those freedoms away.

Uncle Grumpy seems to be one of the few left with that pluck. I guess Detroit kinda had it beaten out of it, yes?

Bonedaddy, I kind of love San Fran. I fly in and I fly out, I don't drive. It's defiantly not like Chicago or New York but it has it's own big city personalty and a good one at that. I feel that it's one of the great towns in all of North America. I probably don't spend as much time there as you, but I'm an old Dead Head and there is an affinity for the place and for my music. If I had to drive every day there I would probably be seeing it through your eyes. BTW try driving in Philly, or New York, or Chicago or any place in central to north Jersey :D :D :D

Oh yeah, Bonedaddy is using a wee bit of hyperbole to make his point that he thinks that San Francisco is a mess. I don't share his view, although he has to spend more time there than I do.

In fact, I always look forward to being in the City. It is one of the most physically beautiful cities that we have in this country with spectacular views out over the Bay, the Pacific, and generally to the East Bay areas. Culture (museums, theatre, dance, music) is vibrant there, as Bonedaddy's daughter's successes are proof. And, for those of us who grew up in the Sixties, there is an emotional connection that we have with the place. Many (most) of the people there are free thinkers. And it has the Giants!

My family enjoys visiting there whenever we can.

Register Sign in to join the conversation