Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Tim Conway

Funny man Tim Conway has passed at 85, had been battling Dementia. Loved him on the Carol Burnett show. Sad day. Rest easy, Tim.

Aww man and dammit.

Visiting the Gretsch Pages is starting to be like turning to the obits page to see who's gone now. Somebody make it stop.

Saw it in the paper this morning. One more for the Big Troop upstairs... He was irrepressible, and I'll wager he still is..

If you haven't seen this outtake from the Carol Burnett show, you need to take a moment and watch it. He absolutely destroys three very capable comedians only to be undone by Vicki Lawrence at the end.

I loved it when he made Harvey and Carol break character. RIP ( we posted at the same time Don...forgot about Vicki )

One of the last of the really good ones. He didn't have to use 4 letter words to be funny. Tim Conway was a very funny man, so adept at improv. My family and I always enjoyed him.

Classic comedy. RIP sir.

The Dentist sketch and The Elephant story are all-time two favorites. Conway said his goal on the show was to destroy Harvey Korman. Supposedly in the Dentist sketch Korman wets himself laughing.

Tim Conway's last few years were rough, fighting dementia. Thankfully, we have so many laughs to remind us of his humor. We'll be so much poorer without him.

Aww man and dammit.

Visiting the Gretsch Pages is starting to be like turning to the obits page to see who's gone now. Somebody make it stop.

– Proteus

My thoughts exactly Tim. Many of us on the GDP grew up watching the Carol Burnett show, and Tim Conways improvisational antics are legendary. Harvey Korman used to struggle (unsuccessfully) with keeping a straight face. This is indeed a bummer, apparently he had been suffering from dementia for a while before passing away. I'll miss him, RIP Tim Conway, our nation will mourn you.

Must be a lot of youngsters here on the forum. 'Ensign Parker' is the first thought that comes to mind. Thanks for the laughs!

He always managed to steal the show on McHale's Navy, my first introduction to him. He then had some outrageous movies with Don Knotts, another nut, and then found a home on The Carol Burnett Show. Quite the character, for sure. The outtake with the elephant story and the dentist sketch are some of the funniest things ever seen on TV.

Tim Conway. Jonathan Winters. Robin Williams.

Throw away the script and get the hell out of the way.

When my wife is out of the room and I need her opinion on something, I still call out “Uh, Mrs. Awhiggins”. One of our many running jokes based on 70’s pop culture.

You couldn’t even look at the guy without cracking a smile.

Rest in peace Mr Tudball

Very sorry to hear this. One of the funniest people ever. RIP Tim Conway.

My wife brought over a Promotional picture of Tim when on "McHale's Navy" holding a .45 Auto, trigger back, looking down in the barrel, checking to see if he had loaded it...

Then she started talking about the Dentist sketch...

I can't remember where I heard/read this story but Tim had gone to a Halloween party and dressed himself as a mummy. While he was there, he had someone take his picture with a polaroid. He cut out his face and taped it to his drivers license so when he drove home, he was speeding to get the police attention. The officer pulled him over and he presented his license to present accuracy. I can't imagine how the officer took it, but to me, that's hilarious.

Tim, You are so right. Those three were the kings of Improv.

Let us not forget his Dorff character. All original for Tim and just hilarious.

Let us not forget his Dorff character. All original for Tim and just hilarious.

– Windsordave

Those were his classic golf skits, weren't they?

This feels like the day Don Knotts past.

Blessings.

...!

First saw him as ensign Parker in McHale's Navy, followed him in the Carol Burnett show as well. Tremendously funny man, didn't need profanity and still absolutely hilarious. I still ask my daughter (she lives across from me, stops in to see if I need anything when she goes to the store) to bring me back a buffalo popsicle. I'll miss Mr. Conway, RIP sir; keep the angels laughing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation