Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Stephen Hawking

USA Today is reporting Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. Rip Stephen.

Rest In Peace...... Condolences to his family.

a brilliant man with humor. was on a few tv shows like big bang and simpsons. the world needs more like him

my favorite SH quote:

"When we see the Earth from space, we see ourselves as a whole. We see the unity, but not the divisions. One planet, one human race. We are here together and we need to live together with tolerance and respect. Our only boundaries are the way we see ourselves, the only borders the way we see each other. We must become global citizens. Our voices are important. We give our elected officials their power, but we can take it away. We are all time travelers, traveling together into the future. But let us make that future a place we want to visit.

Be brave. Be determined. Overcome the odds. It can be done."

He surpassed the time that Doctors gave him by decades. Glad we had you while we did, sir.

Sadness.

He was our modern genius. I read A Brief History of Time a long time ago. I loved how he was able to dumb down quantum physics for me. I love being able to understand the concepts even if I don't understand the complicated math that explains it.

He was also funny on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The human race has just collectively lost a few IQ points.

RIP Steven.

I should say something, but I guess I have nothing to say. There goes another one.

Amazing life, amazing mind. We do need more people like him. Thanks, sir!

Amazing that he lived so long with ALS, most die within a year of diagnosis. He doubted the existence of God, perhaps he has found the ultimate answer.

I lost a family member to ALS so this death resonates with me a little bit. Think of all that Hawking offered to the world by living so far past his predicted lifespan. I wish my own family member had had that chance as well.

Out of nothingness he came and into nothingness he returns - according to Hawking himself.

Out of nothingness he came and into nothingness he returns - according to Hawking himself.

– jeffed

Hey jeffed, do you care to point out where that quote came from? I’m curious about it. Thanks!

It’s a self-penned quote that I believe sums up Hawking’s beliefs, both astrophysical and philosophical from what I’ve read.

On The Beginning, Hawking said: “Nothing was around before the Big Bang.”

Hawking regarded the concept of heaven as a myth, believing that there is "no heaven or afterlife" and that such a notion was a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark”.

On a unified theory of Relativity and quantum mechanics, he said, “What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist.”

In his book A Brief History Of Time, he theorised that when the universe stopped expanding and eventually collapsed, time would run backwards.

Ergo, matter including us was self-created and will self-destruct, dismissing the possibility of eternity and the existence of the soul occupying it.

It’s a self-penned quote that I believe sums up Hawking’s beliefs, both astrophysical and philosophical from what I’ve read.

On The Beginning, Hawking said: “Nothing was around before the Big Bang.”

Hawking regarded the concept of heaven as a myth, believing that there is "no heaven or afterlife" and that such a notion was a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark”.

On a unified theory of Relativity and quantum mechanics, he said, “What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn't. I'm an atheist.”

In his book A Brief History Of Time, he theorised that when the universe stopped expanding and eventually collapsed, time would run backwards.

Ergo, matter including us was self-created and will self-destruct, dismissing the possibility of eternity and the existence of the soul occupying it.

– jeffed

Cool! Thanks!

The concept of "nothing" in quantum mechanics is fascinating. But, on a more mundane version of it, he'd agree (I think) with Neil deGrasse Tyson on the fact that, after we die, our decomposing body would help other creatures to be, keeping the cycle of the chemicals/energy on our planet. On a (way) longer scale, as you pointed out, that doesn't matter at all. I see beauty on all of this.

Rip Hawking

The conclusions outlined above are Stephen Hawking's and, as erudite as they most certainly are, they are not mine. My ideas are along the lines that no form of energy ceases to exist but only changes state. I hypothesise that this is a cosmic fundamental that infers recycling and that where there is design, even if it's entropy, there is a Designer. Some people call this system "God" or "The Creator". Even if creation seems to have appeared out of nowhere, it surely must have taken, in the first instance, (1) a concept and (2) a decision to enact it. This is a thought process that implies a conscious mind to initiate. Heavy, huh?

Register Sign in to join the conversation