Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Roy Halladay

Sad, yet another Plane Crash.

It seems statistically wrong to be an Athlete and to have a Pilot's License.

True enough. His major league career as a pitcher began poorly but he was determined to excel and let himself be taught and soon became one of the game's best. And as everyone playing and associating with him has mentioned, a very special person too. Extra sadness in Toronto & Philly.

Sad news indeed. He was one of the best.

Unbelievable video. Apparently he was performing stunts like this all week...

As a life-long Phillies fan this has been a very sad time.... Besides being an extraordinary athlete, Roy was truly a man of honor and dignity. Condolences to his wife and sons.

Most of the flags are at half mast here in eastern PA.....

He could really pitch...when in his time unhittable.

However improbable, I watched both the Perfect Game, and the No-Hitter in the NLCS. I grew up a Phillies Fan.

When we were in NYC, as I was taking our Bichon for a walk down the BPC Esplanade one afternoon, I saw one of these modern style Private planes heading South down the Hudson...it caught my eye.

When I went back into our apartment, put the news on, that plane had crashed into a building up on the Upper East Side minutes later...Cory Lidle, Yankees Pitcher, getting ready to fly West for the Off Season with a Professional Pilot.

Roy Halladay was a class act.

– Twangmeisternyc

It's worse for musicians.

For me, I feel the only manner in which death [by an aircraft or anything else in life] can have a "worse" aspect attached to it, is having decent law abiding and kind people and particularly children, die while the scum & scourge of society lives on.

– Twangmeisternyc

Actually there was a clause in Halladay's contract that prohibited him from piloting. His hobby started after he retired from baseball.

His interests in flying had early roots -- his father was a commercial pilot.

Doc was an artist on the mound. Painted many a masterpiece against Yankee teams. Very sad.

How many of us have "Pushed the Envelope" when we went out on the road on our bikes or sport(y) cars?

How many of us have died doing just that? We had fun though, didn't we?

I guess folks can "Push the Envelope" in an airplane too.

Pushing the envelope in a car vs a plane can have starkly different results.

Pushing the envelope in a car vs a plane can have starkly different results.

– razzer10_4

Open vs. closed casket.

"Pushing the envelope" started out as a test pilot's term.

"Pushing the envelope" started out as a test pilot's term.

– wabash slim

Yup.

That's Bob Courter in my avatar.

Actually there was a clause in Halladay's contract that prohibited him from piloting. His hobby started after he retired from baseball.

His interests in flying had early roots -- his father was a commercial pilot.

– senojnad

There are many hobbies that teams ban their players from indulging in in the off season or during the season for that matter. I remember the '68 World Series between the Tigers and the Cards. That was the season Denny McClain won 31 games yet he wasn't the WS star, that honor going to Mickey Lolich. Lolitch insisted on riding his motorcycle to the stadium which the Tigers didn't like but couldn't do anything about. Times have certainly changed in that regard.

Doc seemed to own the Yankees. So I was delighted when he left the AL East, which is probably as big a compliment as you can give a player.

Easy pitcher to love. Quiet focus, work ethic, and study over pure raw stuff. I guess we failed athletes always root for those guys. It feeds our stupid fantasy that we could have succeeded if we had just practiced a little longer and worked a little harder.

Register Sign in to join the conversation