Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Roger Bannister

Another childhood hero gone. I remember reading an article in "Boys Life" about his record breaking run and being right smart impressed by it.

RIP Roger

Our local TV stations did a tribute to him and showed film of his historic run, which was right here in Vancouver at Empire Field.

64 years ago. More people have climbed Mt. Everest than have run a 4 minute mile.

64 years ago. More people have climbed Mt. Everest than have run a 4 minute mile.

– wabash slim

That is an interesting stat WS. I hadn't heard that before. Really puts the accomplishment in perspective.

I remember the day when he first broke the 4-minute mile........ Considered "historic" then and now....

I'll never forget 3:59.4

I was a young, budding wannabe track star at the time, and this will forever be in my memory.

ok, this one hits close to home for me. the mile run was my event in high school. the best I ever did was a 4'42.2". Mr. Bannister proved that the 4 minute barrier could be broken. so, it was attainable. he accomplished what was only a "pipe dream" to a lot of us. thank you Mr. Bannister.

ok, this one hits close to home for me. the mile run was my event in high school. the best I ever did was a 4'42.2". Mr. Bannister proved that the 4 minute barrier could be broken. so, it was attainable. he accomplished what was only a "pipe dream" to a lot of us. thank you Mr. Bannister.

– Sgt Rock

I would have came in 4 seconds behind you.

Every runner knew Roger Bannister, that was THE milestone in running. R.I.P Sir.

Those Brits could really run the Mile.

– Sgt Rock

Anything sub 5 minutes for us mortals is outstanding in my books.

Register Sign in to join the conversation