Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Ray Thomas

Moody Blues singer. A mighty unique sound back in the day.

Ray Thomas

Just wish he could have made it for the Rock and Roll HOF ceremony this year..

If the Moody Blues had only been inducted sooner.. (As they should have been.)

This seems to happen frequently. Look at the Dave Clark 5 with Mike Smith.

Just wish he could have made it for the Rock and Roll HOF ceremony this year..

If the Moody Blues had only been inducted sooner.. (As they should have been.)

– same_guy

I agree -- The Moody Blues should have been inducted a long time ago.....

Been a HUGE fan for decades and have had the pleasure of seeing them live many times, including many with Ray. Among his other talents, he probably had the best solo voice of the group.

Sad news..... (again...)

Already... The year is starting off sadly, again.

Gonna put "Days of Future Passed" on my playlist this afternoon.

The Moody Blues are and were a highly influential band, particularly with their string of great albums like Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, On The Threshold of a Dream, and Seventh Sojurn. They were one of the first rock bands to integrate an orchestral score to their recordings.

While I have never seen them in concert, I have frequently seen their televised performances on PBS and invariably found them to be exhilarating and highly entertaining. It seemed like it was one big hit song after another during their shows. And they had many, many hits. Give the album below a listen and be transported back through many hits.

They deserve to be in the RRHOF and probably should have been there many years ago.

I lucked in to getting to see them live in concert one time about 12 years ago (maybe??? time slips away) and feel VERY fortunate to have done so. I was a "casual" fan, but found them to be extremely talented.

IMO, they actually sound better live than on their records -- much stronger rhythm and the total sound with keyboards, etc., is mind blowing (even today).

My last concert was in May, 2015 in Denver, CO. At the risk of sounding like a groupie..... that was my 20th MB concert.

One last trip around the bay for Ray. The Moodies are my wife's favorite band. After taking her to dozens of Grateful Dead shows, now she takes me to every Moody Blues concert we can. After Ray left the band they stopped doing Timothy Leary. He will be missed. Thanks John

After Ray left the band they stopped doing Timothy Leary. He will be missed. powerwagonjohn

They also stopped doing "For My Lady" -- a beautiful lead by Ray and one of my favorites from Seventh Sojourn.

Register Sign in to join the conversation