Other Guitars

Some call it ugly - what do you think: Wandre Rock Oval

For some reason, I'm drawn to this. If I were to build something like this, I would never execute it the way it was originally/mechanically designed, but there are aspects of it that I find very appealing.

I would never do the pick guard that way, and the headstocks on these guitars are far from elegant. Definitely not a guitar to sit with and play...

BC Rich has made far uglier guitars.

I like "different" but this one is not doing it for me.

i guess most Wandre' stuff is 'ugly' by traditional standards but there are some pretty coll things going on. Iquite like the square-ish headstocks and the aluminium and wood mix is pretty cool.

Id have to pick the Polyphon i think for its shape. But i'd prefer a minamilist control plate/pickup combo

I think rumble seat music has a bunch of Wandre stuff right now

I think Wandre's are pretty cool. Buddy Miller is a big fan of them, and has been for quite some time. He's used his for both recording and gigging.

F.Y.I. - Eastwood makes a copy of the Wandre Tr-Lam.

I think Wandre's are pretty cool. Buddy Miller is a big fan of them, and has been for quite some time. He's used his for both recording and gigging.

F.Y.I. - Eastwood makes a copy of the Wandre Tr-Lam.

– EllenGtrGrl

Right. Buddy played Wandres with Spyboy and sounded incredible. I think the Eastwood version has a wooden neck (maybe maple?) unlike the old Tr-Lam, which has an aluminum neck. That's a big part of that sound.

I wouldn't even hold a guitar as puke-inducing for me as these guitars are. They may have great action and playability and sound wonderful, but I have to like the looks of a guitar before I consider owning it, let alone in this case, even picking it up. Hey.....you asked.

I love the Wandre upright bass design. You have to keep in mind that this was an Italian company from the late 50s. Some very artistic designs in my view and a lot of this stuff is hotly collected.

The Wandre Rock Oval and the BB are possibly the 2 most beautiful guitars ever made in my opinion. I have been on the search for one of those 2 models that I could afford for over 20 years. The first time I saw one was the last scene of the chet baker movie "let's get lost" Classic Italian design from the 60s !! I've had the pleasure to play a few and although they may look like a novelty guitar the sound of these instruments are fantastic and superior to many other instruments. If anyone finds one, please send it my way!!!!

Hey JayceMumford, thanks for posting those pics. I'd never seen the six-on-side version of the Wandre headstock. That is actually kinda cool. I have to admit that I find the headstock on the Rock Oval to be pretty ugly and "after-thought-ish" in design appearance.

Paul, weren't you in the process of getting a Wandre restored? Which model?

Having never played one before, I can imagine an aluminum neck giving a similar feel and tonal quality to the Travis Bean and Kramer models that are similarly constructed. I played both the Bean and Kramer aluminum necked models in a store as a teen and desperately wanted either, but I could never manage to come up with the cash. Now, they seem to be quite collectable and even more expensive.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I do find this guy's lack of appreciation for the Rock Oval a bit insulting - and a bit embarrassing as a gift recipient.

I love the Wandre upright bass design. You have to keep in mind that this was an Italian company from the late 50s. Some very artistic designs in my view and a lot of this stuff is hotly collected.

– knavel

Now this is novel and highly artistic. I certainly like model and can see where it would command a premium price.

It's all "eye of the beholder". I'm fairly open minded on this stuff. With Wandre's, I can live without the Rock Oval, but I think the BB is beautiful in an odd way, but still beautiful. Of course, the BB was named for Bridgette Bardot....

I love that Bass!!

I like the model played by Buddy Miller but not the Rock Oval -- a silly shape for the sake of a silly shape made for players saying "look at me and my cool guitar".

Just my personal opinion (re: the original post) --- ugly.

Wandres always looked like the guitars played by the Saturday Morning Cartoon bands in the 60's. You know, The Archies, The Hardy Boys, the Chatanoga Cats, etc? I love 'em ... And if you don't build your own, Eastwood is bound to build one eventually!

Jim

I love them, the Picasso of guitars!

– GreTschocaster

Some would say the Salvador Dali of guitars

Some would say the Salvador Dali of guitars

– DCBirdMan

That's more like it!

reminds me of the guitar that Lindsey Buckingham plays,, shape wise.

Register Sign in to join the conversation