Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Kirk Douglas

103 is a heck of a run. In Kirk's honor, here is my favorite version of the "Love Theme From Spartacus." Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Raul Rekow and Armando Peraza too!

Wow -- congratulations on a very long life well lived Mr. Douglas!

Condolences to the family, and I'm sure there must be consolation in how well and how long he lived.

To me, he seemed like the last survivor of Old Hollywood. What a great person and life he lived.

To me, he seemed like the last survivor of Old Hollywood. What a great person and life he lived.

– Jim Austin

At 103, I think it's safe to say he was the last survivor of Old Hollywood. If you spot any of his contemporaries, drive a steak into his heart, because he's probably a vampire. Well done, Mr. Douglass.

Wow! What a great long life. I hope he enjoyed it to the very end.

Au contraire, Olivia de Havilland is still alive at 103 years old! SHE is now the ladt woman standing of that goldrn age of Hollywood!

Even if the only film he had ever made was Paths of Glory, it would have been a life well lived. RIP

103 years is far to short, life is fleeting, and over with far too soon. RIP Kirk Douglas.

With Douglas's passing comes the last breath of an era already long gone. He was one of the giants from an age of heroic actors, big men with bigger personalities who dominated the screen, playing roles which became them - and which they became - so that it's impossible to think of anyone else in their place. Off the screen, their personal magnetism and gravitas seems to have been similar.

I put Burt Lancaster in the same league, as well as Robert Preston and Albert Finney. The latter two are perhaps not known as rippling he-men in the Lancaster/Douglas league - but they absolutely radiate charisma and character in a way few others do.

All came across onscreen as open, frank, earnest, and fully committed men - men who saw (or fell into and understood) what they had to do, and then did it unstintingly, with all their strength of body and character, unflinchingly accepting reward and consequence alike as it came to them.

All unabashedly played heroes (often enough flawed, but you believed in their essential integrity), and they played them heroically.

There may be actors now who could play such roles, but true heroic roles have become obsolete, problematic in an age of irony and antihero. All we expect of our antiheroes is that they command our attention - not that they "mean" anything. And we have superheroes who do the humanly impossible because they've been magically, technologically, or cinematically enhanced - and in whose integrity and strength of character we're not even invited to believe.

It's not at all the same thing.

When we watch any of those Big Men in a great performance, it doesn't take long to put aside our first "modern" reaction that they seem hokey - because we know we're seeing model and reflection of a sort of great-hearted humanity we can only hope has disappeared just from our cinema, and not from the world itself.

Can't add more to what Proteus said, but if you have a chance to see Lonely Are The Brave, do it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation