Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP Jim Dunlop

I used Tortex picks since they started making them.

Always have a tortex or two in the little pocket of my jeans. 1.14 for the electrics, 1.5 for the acoustics.

RIP Jim Dunlop. Tortexes are my favorite mass made pick. Still have my first JD capo from the '70's too. What Bob Mould said was priceless: "I hold your name in my hand every day."

Awe man. That's a real bummer. Rest In Peace Sir.

Sad to hear. I've sold a lot of his products over the years and used them as well.

He was responsible for quality stuff whatever it was. I've had his pedals and wouldn't strum a guitar without his picks. RIP and thanks for what you did, sir!

I've had at least a few, and probably more, of his pedals.

The original Cry Baby, the Twister, and the Fuzzface jump to the front of the line, but I went through pedals quicker than Proteus collects them.

When you think about it, his products were everywhere. What a legacy.

I wonder if any of us DIDN'T have a Cry Baby and/or a Fuzzface at some point.

I had a Univibe for years as well, specifically for its lowest, slowest vibrato setting that provided subtle animation to my guitar tone without ever calling attention to itself. It was a nearly-always-on pedal - and, unlike most, I didn't even notice (at first) if it was off. Eventually it would dawn on me that something was amiss. It was big and red and heavy and indestructible, and I wondered if it was worth its place on the board. I bid it adieu when I got the Strymon Mobius, on which I've taken several passes at configuring patches with that slow, subtle, barely-there vibrato. I get there - kinda - but something happens to the clean tone in the process that sounds a touch artificial.

Mr Dunlop played a crucial role not only in bringing back MXR's legendary classics, but in improving them to modern standards without compromising their character in the least. Good on him. MXR's recent Studio Compressor is an amazing little mighty-close evocation of a classic rack comp - and MXR's IsoBrick power supply is currently the best value in a high-quality, compact supply with enough high current taps to power a modern board: 10 taps for considerably less than the price of 5 from Strymon. (In its machined aluminum billet, it's also gorgeous.)

I know Jim can't have done all this work himself, but the quality and reliability we've all known we could always count on from Dunlop must reflect the values and determination of the man himself.

And it's fair to say I almost never go anywhere without a blue Tortex somewhere on my person.

Rest In Peace, Jim D.

I'm passing the link to my older neighbor (85) who used to be your neighbor in Ca.....

I wonder if any of us DIDN'T have a Cry Baby and/or a Fuzzface at some point.

I had a Univibe for years as well, specifically for its lowest, slowest vibrato setting that provided subtle animation to my guitar tone without ever calling attention to itself. It was a nearly-always-on pedal - and, unlike most, I didn't even notice (at first) if it was off. Eventually it would dawn on me that something was amiss. It was big and red and heavy and indestructible, and I wondered if it was worth its place on the board. I bid it adieu when I got the Strymon Mobius, on which I've taken several passes at configuring patches with that slow, subtle, barely-there vibrato. I get there - kinda - but something happens to the clean tone in the process that sounds a touch artificial.

Mr Dunlop played a crucial role not only in bringing back MXR's legendary classics, but in improving them to modern standards without compromising their character in the least. Good on him. MXR's recent Studio Compressor is an amazing little mighty-close evocation of a classic rack comp - and MXR's IsoBrick power supply is currently the best value in a high-quality, compact supply with enough high current taps to power a modern board: 10 taps for considerably less than the price of 5 from Strymon. (In its machined aluminum billet, it's also gorgeous.)

I know Jim can't have done all this work himself, but the quality and reliability we've all known we could always count on from Dunlop must reflect the values and determination of the man himself.

And it's fair to say I almost never go anywhere without a blue Tortex somewhere on my person.

– Proteus

right on..he made good strings too...up in benicia california...bz uses 'em!! & you know he's a stickler for the goods!! hah..

jim dunlop was on it since 1965!!

rip

cheers

I had a Univibe for years as well,... It was big and red and heavy and indestructible

Wouldn’t that be a Rotovibe? Dunlop has another product called a Univibe. I know cause I have one.

RIP Sir.

Aye ,i had a Cry Baby,and some form of Fuzz wah thing,and a lot of picks.

Yep, Rotovibe. Thanks for the memory refreshment!

He was on the scene for a long time -- I have some of his strings... a few sets of 11's still here.

RIP Jim Dunlop. Going to break out the Cry Baby this weekend..

Thanks, Jim Dunlop.

– Deed Eddy

that's a great trem...(there were actually two different versions before they discontinued it)...ry cooder brought his down to cuba with him when recording the album with manuel galban...manuel who was a big duane fan, (as is cooder) used it in stereo..between a roland jc120 and fender twin..talk about lush cleans

here's the vid...you can see the dunlop trem atop manuels roland jc amp..he must have been in heaven..not only recording again..and with great gear...but thru a trem that duane eddy was using!!! kudos to cooder

cheers

RIP, Mr D. Picks by the hundred over the years, a Cry Baby back in the 80's and who knows what all else through the past 50 years?

A great loss, indeed.

My favorite pick these days. RIP Mr. Dunlop

Actually I never had a wah or a fuzzface.

I do have a Way Huge that is made by Dunlop and I never use any other picks than Dunlops.

I don't think there is a guitarist alive that hasn't used one of Dunlop's products at least once at some point.

RIP

I've used many of Jim's products over the years, and I have used his picks. He always seemed to fill a niche with his innovative products, RIP Jim Dunlop

Register Sign in to join the conversation