Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ric12string’s Hall of Fame Adventure

I'd tell you here, but this is a family website.

– crowbone

Wuzzat what was going on when that lady looked at him with eyes like dinner plates and then she said, “Really? Like a Pringles can?”

My question... what exactly did Crowbone say to the lady at the ticket booth to get us all in (plus our late arrival) for a fraction of the entry fee??? That dude is a silver tongued devil!!!

– kc_eddie_b

That's nothing, he had an extra lawn ticket for a Neil show so when we got there he spotted one of those boardwalk wheels and two pretty girls at the booth. Crow walks up and asks what it's all about and one of them said you can upgrade your ticked and have access to a VIP area. So he spins and no shit he wins but since we had lawn seats we weren't entitled to the seat upgrade. They kinda whisper something to each other and next thing you know they're handing us tickets, these tickets.

That must be the VIP section your sitting in... nice glory hole unit behind you there!

Well, allrighty then ... after those diversions...

"Pushin Too Hard" went the furthest up the charts, peaking at 36. Was that it?

Bingo, of course. The fabulous garage-psychedelic youth-angst Seeds. "Yer pushin' too hard on me, man."

Gotta admit I am stumped how that relates to what looks like a stove burner cover.

It's 'cause the music was so hot, of course.

And on to RRHoF CHALLENGE 8

What matters about this chapeau?

Whoa! Is that a 'Blue Cap' as in..Cliff Gallup?

It is! It's one of the blue caps. I'm sure the sign said whose, but it didn't matter to me. It came along with a fan club button.

RRHoF CHALLENGE 9

That one was too easy. I don't think this one will be. I will tell you it's a Guild bass.

Lots of tinkering going on...Jack Casady...pre-Alembic

Aye aye, Cap'n, you've got it.

And a freebie to go with it...Jack's jacket.

It is! It's one of the blue caps. I'm sure the sign said whose, but it didn't matter to me. It came along with a fan club button.

– Proteus

This blue cap was owned and worn by Bobby Jones, who joined Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps on bass in 1957. He played on several notable songs, including "Lotta Lovin'" and "Git It."

For most people, “Hotel California” ranks up there somewhere near the top in terms of an iconic guitar song from the history of rock ‘n’ roll. Released by the Eagles in 1977, “Hotel California” is probably the most famous of all of their songs. The song was awarded the Grammy for Record of the Year in 1978. And its lengthy guitar interplay between Don Felder and Joe Walsh at the end of the song was voted the best guitar solo of all time in 1998 by readers of “Guitarist” magazine. “Hotel California” was also ranked 8th on Guitar Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Solos. Both the song and the album of the same name went to #1 on the charts.

While Don Henley and Glenn Frey were credited with writing the song’s somewhat cinematic lyrics, it was Don Felder who composed the music. He first wrote the song as a demo to give to Henley and Frey to consider using in writing lyrics and recording the song on the band’s next album. Henley was particularly interested in the song, thinking that it sounded like a “Mexican Reggae,” which was actually the original working title of the song.

Don Felder opens the recording with the chiming sound of an electric 12-string guitar and that sound returns periodically throughout the song. However, the rest of the time, he played a six-string guitar. How could this be done without having to make awkward guitar changes amidst the song? Felder famously played the song on a 1966 Gibson EDS-1275 doubleneck guitar where the 12-string part of the guitar was on the upper neck and the six-string part was on the lower neck. He simply moved his hands from one neck to the other during the song.

This photo shows the doubleneck guitar that Felder played during the recording of the song, as well as on-stage when it was performed live. I have had the good fortune of having seen this guitar in action on multiple occasions when attending Eagles concerts. I was also lucky enough to have been the opening act for Don Felder when he performed locally in concert a couple of years ago and I saw him perform “Hotel California” yet again. However, the doubleneck guitar that he uses now is a copy of the guitar which Gibson made for him to use after he loaned the original guitar to the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

Check out this video where you can see this extraordinary guitar in action during a concert performance from 1977.

At the risk of beating this dead horse with this photo again, this was a pretty happy moment for me in finally getting to meet Don Felder. My impression is that he is a pretty good guy, if not, perhaps, quite as blameless as he lets on in his book about the in-fighting of the band.

For those of you who take notice, the Cleveland Browns won last night. Their Heisman Winning QB, Baker Mayfield, came in as the Rookie replacement well behind in the 2nd Quarter.

He did something never done before... a debut Comeback from 2 TDs down.

I remember Christmas 2016 when they last won...we all made a Carol that evening.

That, and I think maybe a YES subplot of having a Tea Shop down from the RnRHoF!

P.S. They have also taken the Steelers to a draw in Week 1.

Having proper Football back in CLE is a good thing...it is as much a Football town as a RnR town.

For those of you who take notice, the Cleveland Browns won last night. Their Heisman Winning QB, Baker Mayfield, came in as the Rookie replacement well behind in the 2nd Quarter.

He did something never done before... a debut Comeback from 2 TDs down.

I remember Christmas 2016 when they last won...we all made a Carol that evening.

That, and I think maybe a YES subplot of having a Tea Shop down from the RnRHoF!

P.S. They have also taken the Steelers to a draw in Week 1.

Having proper Football back in CLE is a good thing...it is as much a Football town as a RnR town.

– Twangmeisternyc

Those games were insanely entertaining.

I remember "The Fumble", what a moment ... the last real chance for Browns Football.

That was a fun thred

Register Sign in to join the conversation