Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ric12string’s Hall of Fame Adventure

I'm envious reading about your trip to the RRHOFM. It sounds like you all had a great time. I've been to the MIM in both Phoenix and Seattle, but I've not yet made it to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Thanks for all the great photos, it looks like a very nice museum.

Well, you all didn't get to see the Yankees play, like my Cousin and Family, but you did get out to a game...and the Home Team won.

Rev Al, yessir - and Duck Dunn, of course. In this case, though it was out of its case, the bass was more meaningful to me than the pants.

Not that they aren't wonderful pants, with their applikays and all. Did you really know that, Greg, or did I leave some clue in the photo you found?

Anyway, that was a great 2-fer, wudn't it! Clothes AND a guitar.

We shoulda bought some RRHoF trinkets to give out as prizes, huh RickyBob huh huh? Then all we'd need is Geoff Vane, and it would be like old times.

Yep...I have that Greatest Hits album that’s in the corner of your photo. Haven’t played it in quite a few years but I guess the memory of the picture on the cover was lurking around in some dark recess of my mind waiting to be triggered by you Tim.

RRHoF CHALLENGE 7

What's the associated hit?

"Pushin Too Hard" went the furthest up the charts, peaking at 36. Was that it?

Gotta admit I am stumped how that relates to what looks like a stove burner cover.

“Daisy Mae” was on flip side of “Pushin Too Hard”, they kind of look like psychedelic daisies painted on a bass drum head.

Loved the Duck. Saw him with Clapton and then with CSNY. Just such a solid player.

From twenty-five miles south of Chicago, in the steel mill town of Gary, Indiana, emerged one of the most important groups in pop/soul music history -- The Jackson 5. Originally formed in 1964 as the Jackson Brothers, with Jackie, Tito and Jermaine, the fraternal act expanded only one year later to include younger brothers, Marlon and Michael.

Beginning their career in local talent shows and in clubs on the Chitlin' Circuit (venues where black performers could safely work located in the East, South, and upper midwest areas of the country), they soon signed with a local Gary record label, Steeltown Records, where two fairly non-descript singles were released. In 1967, however, after having won a talent competition at the Apollo Theater, singer Gladys Knight sent a video tape of the brothers to Motown Records in hopes that the label would sign them. However, Barry Gordy rejected them and returned the video tape. The following year, the boys would return to Motown for a videotaped audition, only to be rejected by Gordy again. He eventually changed his mind, however, and Motown Records signed the Jackson 5 in 1969.

The Jackson 5's first four singles on Motown each hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 -- "I Want You Back", "ABC", "The Love You Save" and "I'll Be There."

The band went on to sell over 100 million records worldwide and the Jackson 5 were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

On October 18, 1969, only one week after "I Want You Back" was released, the Jackson 5 made their first national television appearance on The Hollywood Palace. At the time, Michael, the youngest of the five, was only eleven years of age. Yet, his star power shown through at once as he sang, danced, and confidently exchanged comedy lines with Diana Ross and Sammy Davis Jr. His extraordinary youthful talent seemed to almost ooze from every pore. Long before any of the peculiar behaviour was exhibited, and before his appearance had been surgically altered, Michael just looked like the happy youngster in your own neighborhood.

Here are the outfits worn by the Jackson 5 when they appeared on The Hollywood Palace. They are in pristine condition and, remarkably, include the entire outfits for every one of the brothers, right down to the shoes. Although it was not noted in the display, I would assume that the outfit in the left foreground was Michael's as it apears to be the smallest.

Watch this video to see the Jackson 5 wearing these outfits during their appearance on The Hollywood Palace, and get a sense as to what kicked off the phenomenon that came to be known as Jacksonmania.

11-year-old Michael Jackson's stage outfit worn during the brothers' first national television appearance on The Hollywood Palace, on October 18, 1969.

Closeup of Michael Jackson's stage clothing from The Hollywood Palace show.

Michael Jackson's shoes from The Hollywood Palace performance.

Brother Marlon Jackson's stage outfit from The Hollywood Palace performance.

Here is a full-page trade ad taken out in Variety to promote the Hollywood Palace appearance and the connection of the Jackson 5 to Diana Ross of The Supremes.

Yep, same here. I was a huge fan of Al Green in the day.

– Ric12string

Whaddaya mean "WAS" and "in the day"??? It don't sound good to you no mo'??

This track is already 23 years old, but it still sounds fresher than most "modern pop."

Preach on, Reverend Al!

Those Al Green songs still sound tremendous to my ears, Parabar. I loved when he would be on Soul Train or other shows that I saw him on. Al was super cool to this Wonderbread white college student.

I see that you had posted that Michael was 11 years old when he appeared on TV first but the flier you posted says he was 8. I seem to remember him being quite young.

I see that you had posted that Michael was 11 years old when he appeared on TV first but the flier you posted says he was 8. I seem to remember him being quite young.

– Suprdave

I believe that the flyer was incorrect. Michael Jackson was born in 1958 and this performance was in 1969. Then again, math has never been my strong suit.

Michael Jackson's shoes from The Hollywood Palace performance.

– Ric12string

I once had appliances the same color as those shoes.

I once had appliances the same color as those shoes.

– Timthom62

My mother-in-law still does . . .

My mother-in-law still does . . .

– geoguy

And you would pay a premium to get appliances in that color today!

My question... what exactly did Crowbone say to the lady at the ticket booth to get us all in (plus our late arrival) for a fraction of the entry fee??? That dude is a silver tongued devil!!!

My question... what exactly did Crowbone say to the lady at the ticket booth to get us all in (plus our late arrival) for a fraction of the entry fee??? That dude is a silver tongued devil!!!

– kc_eddie_b

I'd tell you here, but this is a family website.

I'd tell you here, but this is a family website.

– crowbone

Wuzzat what was going on when that lady looked at him with eyes like dinner plates and then she said, “Really? Like a Pringles can?”

Register Sign in to join the conversation