Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ric12 in Truckee

No kidding Bob. Getting nasty up on top. With 80 being closed all day you must be inundated with those that got stuck crossing.

The rivers are swollen here, but nothing like '97 yet. I heard the River Walk Amphitheater in Reno is completely under water. Geez!

Stay warm and safe.

Truckee, famous for the Donner Party.

(Lord, I apologize.)

– drmilktruck

"Party of six .... er, five ... uh, four ...."

Ugh. Blizzard conditions through tomorrow. Thank goodness for snowblowers.

The drifts to my front door from the driveway are getting a little deep!!!!

We don't get much in the way of drifts where I live, although I am sure that there are many at higher elevations. But, I did have a berm at the end of my driveway to greet me when I got up this morning which was about 4' in height and 10' in width.

You know, Bobby, as easy as snowblowers make it for us, I still feel like I have been wrestling a steer all morning. I was out for about four or five hours this morning dealing with all of the snow. And I haven't even started in on the decks yet! Ugh.

Oh well, there is light at the end of the tunnel (or maybe the train is headed my way!). We are supposed to have clear weather on Friday. There was actually a bit of sunlight this afternoon, but more snow is forecast for tomorrow. Is our drouth over yet?

Then again, it could be worse!

– Ric12string

Bob. The next time you play your bagpipes whilst dressed in your kilt and matching vader helmet, during unicycle snow-removal operations, might I suggest a breath mint?
;)

We don't get much in the way of drifts where I live, although I am sure that there are many at higher elevations. But, I did have a berm at the end of my driveway to greet me when I got up this morning which was about 4' in height and 10' in width.

You know, Bobby, as easy as snowblowers make it for us, I still feel like I have been wrestling a steer all morning. I was out for about four or five hours this morning dealing with all of the snow. And I haven't even started in on the decks yet! Ugh.

Oh well, there is light at the end of the tunnel (or maybe the train is headed my way!). We are supposed to have clear weather on Friday. There was actually a bit of sunlight this afternoon, but more snow is forecast for tomorrow. Is our drouth over yet?

– Ric12string

I think the drouth is going to end up in the ocean.... and I know EXACTLY what you mean by wrestling with a snowblower!!!!! Especially when you now have a floor of rough rutted ice from frozen slush under the snow!

It's our turn this weekend.

No snowblowers or shovels needed.......................all ice, forecasting up to 3/4" of this stuff accumulating over the weekend.

Just a momentary spellcheck derail....DROUGHT.

You're welcome. xx

Drouth. "A long period of abnormally low rainfall, especially one that adversely affects growing or living conditions. 2. A prolonged dearth or shortage. [Middle English, from Old English drūgoth; akin to drȳge, dry.] drought′y adj."

The Free Dictionary.

Are they alternative spellings perhaps, Deed? This is one that my late father favored and which I still use in his honor.

My mother is from the Midwest and she pronounces it with the "th" at the end as well.

They are indeed alternates. Mean exactly the same thing.

I had no idea, and I apologize, Bob.

Then again, it could be worse!

– Ric12string

Bagpipes on fire.....a sight that warms my heart!!

Ric 12, as much fun as torching the snow would be, it only creates ice. I'd rather drive thru two feet of snow than on a half inch of ice anytime.

One of the most impressive things I've ever seen is a steam powered railroad rotary snow blower---literally blows snow hundreds of yards.

As a kid, I made all kinds of money shoveling snow (and delivering papers, raking leaves, etc.). Where are the enterprising kids today? The last time anyone offered to shovel my walk, the guy had facial tattoos and gauges, and was in his thirties.

– wabash slim

Here you go. As you said Wabash, truly impressive!

Lived in that part of Nebraska for a long time. Winter snows are crazy, due to the wind/drifting.

Every inch of snow usually means one foot of drifting, so a six inch snow, is a mess, and a foot is a real blast.

The railroads know how to "do it" well!

I had no idea, and I apologize, Bob.

– Deed Eddy

Aw, c'mon Deed, no apologies necessary between friends. Hey, I am looking forward to seeing you later this week. NAMM should be way fun this year.

Here you go. As you said Wabash, truly impressive!

– Windsordave

Yep. We get these rotary plows here in my town frequently. The railroad uses them to keep the tracks over the Donner Summit clear of snow during winter. It sure is a gorgeous sight to see that large plume of snow fill the sky like that.

In one of the longer videos on YouTube they report that one year the Donner area received 818 inches of snow for the year! That's 68 feet!! I know that would be split between the start of the year months and the end of the year but sheeesh! anyway you cut it that's an unbelievable amount to fathom!!!

I'd love to see one of those rotaries in action in person. Would be a very impressive sight indeed!

Dave, I don't know whether it is true or not, but I have always been told that the Donner Summit receives the largest amount of snowfall in the contiguous United States.

I see in this article about the snowiest places in the United States, my little town makes it to #4 on the list.

Where I'm from, drouthy is often used to describe an intense thirst.

I've not even heard the word, something of a Scottish colloquial peculiarity for probably twenty-five years, yet my Californian friend Ric12String just casually drops it into the conversation.

Nice world, it really is.

Here's the video I referred to. 1952, Truckee to Norden. Somewhere on the video it mentions the 818" of snowfall.

Been over the pass twice but in beautiful summer weather. Even with my winter driving experience I wouldn't want to tackle the Donner in the winter!!

Dave, I don't know whether it is true or not, but I have always been told that the Donner Summit receives the largest amount of snowfall in the contiguous United States.

I see in this article about the snowiest places in the United States, my little town makes it to #4 on the list.

– Ric12string

Bob, don't you mean the contiguous states. I think that Alaska is still part of the continent and I'm sure parts of it have you beat. But then, what the heck do I know about snow?!

Bob, don't you mean the contiguous states. I think that Alaska is still part of the continent and I'm sure parts of it have you beat. But then, what the heck do I know about snow?!

– Don Birchett

The Weather Channel says Valdez, Alaska has the highest annual snowfall:

1: Valdez, Alaska

Average yearly snow: 326.3"

Snowiest month: December (71.9")

Snowiest day: 47.5" (1/16/1990)

Truckee however is #4:

4: Truckee, Calif.

Average yearly snow: 202.6"

Snowiest month: February (44.3")

You can see the rest of the top 5 here:

https://usnews.newsvine.com...