Miscellaneous Rumbles

Ric12 in Truckee

It is mostly white. Wet. Usually cold. It has made my little mountain hamlet a big mess.

After having snow, the temperature warmed up and it rained making everything a sloppy mess. Then, tonight, when it gets colder again, all of that water will turn to ice, which prevents the use of the snowblower. So, I was out this morning for several hours on the business end of a shovel trying to get rid of the slop. It's a vicious cycle.

Oh yeah, they keep shutting down the interstate, which fills our little town with people who are none too pleased to be here.

In Louisiana, people lose their minds when it snows. Even a little bit is a genuine craptastrophe. Good luck to you!

I'm watching...This coming weekend should be an odd warm cold snow rain thing in the Sierra Nevada...

Maybe a bit tougher further south of you...

I'm watching...This coming weekend should be an odd warm cold snow rain thing in the Sierra Nevada...

Maybe a bit tougher further south of you...

– Twangmeisternyc

Thanks for giving me something to eagerly look forward to. Ugh. My back hurts already. Where's the Alleve already?

In Louisiana, people lose their minds when it snows. Even a little bit is a genuine craptastrophe. Good luck to you!

– Mark StJohn

what are you talking about, Mark ? when I was down there, they shut the State down.

In the northern part of Indiana, we get tons of heavy, wet, Lake Effect Snow. On the other end of the state, snow is rare. Nobody south of I-80 knows how to drive in it even tho they see it every year. The biggest problem driving in snow is all of the idiots that shouldn't be out in it.

Great little town, Truckee, I've spent some time there over the years. Used to be a Great Breakfast place there right in the middle of the town. My family used to come up there in the Summer to Squaw Valley, beautiful country

Great little town, Truckee, I've spent some time there over the years. Used to be a Great Breakfast place there right in the middle of the town. My family used to come up there in the Summer to Squaw Valley, beautiful country

– 949Norm

Well then, don't be a stranger!

Sierra Cement. Nothing is as heavy as that. I still miss it.

Cement or pow, nothing beats freshies in the Sierras. I wait all year for February and March dumps.

I am sad to see that Obie's is gone. Many winter memories in Truckee with my young family.

Yep. O.B.'s was a mainstay in my little town. But, the rents kept getting jacked up sky high where it just didn't make sense for them to keep operating.

Sierra Cement. Nothing is as heavy as that. I still miss it.

– Deed Eddy

Come visit, Deed. I will renew your love affair with that snow by putting you on the business end of a snow shovel. They are forecasting several feet of snow on the weekend.

I. Just. Can't. Wait.

Then again, perhaps I will give this strategy a try.

Better yet, a V8-powered snowblower . . .

Ric 12, as much fun as torching the snow would be, it only creates ice. I'd rather drive thru two feet of snow than on a half inch of ice anytime.

One of the most impressive things I've ever seen is a steam powered railroad rotary snow blower---literally blows snow hundreds of yards.

As a kid, I made all kinds of money shoveling snow (and delivering papers, raking leaves, etc.). Where are the enterprising kids today? The last time anyone offered to shovel my walk, the guy had facial tattoos and gauges, and was in his thirties.

Just saw the weather report. Holy. Moly.

Just saw the weather report. Holy. Moly.

– Deed Eddy

Thank you, dear friend, for your words of encouragement.

Better yet, a V8-powered snowblower . . .

– geoguy

Now THAT is my kind of snowblower. I could create a lot of mischief in my neighborhood with that bad boy.

My driveway here in Idaho....

and the view this morning...... (btw it was only minus 29.9F this morning at 5am)

That's what we're talking about...beautiful, Hermitt! Cute doggie.

You have lived there for over five years now, Bobby, and you haven't managed to make your local town move the road closer to your front door? That looks like a lot of snow blowing to me. Hopefully, you have a blade on the front of a pickup truck to move that snow.

Truckee, famous for the Donner Party.

(Lord, I apologize.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation