Miscellaneous Rumbles

Retired Yesterday

I did it. 35 1/2 years of full-time service as a law enforcement officer; 38 years in total. Very emotional day and very surreal. Won't sink in for a while.

I did very much consider the thoughtful advice from members here and I appreciate the collective wisdom here. Thanks to all of you.

Looking forward to playing a lot more music. See you all at Hachland Hills!

A BIG congrats.

It's been 11 months ago today that I retired. No regrets.

It takes a bit for it all to sink in, like WTF did I just do! Then it hits. I did the right thing.

I now look at it this way. Every day is like a 4 day weekend. Not everyday is sunny and 70° for this long weekend, but I have 4 more every single day. Lol

Congrats again, kick back, and enjoy the new way of life.

Congratulations!! Now get out there and ENJOY the best of the good life!

I had similar concerns when I retired ("early"). However I got over all that pretty fast -- 12 hours, maybe...???

Wishing you all the best for a very long, happy and healthy retirement!

Congratulations, and thank you for your service!

Enjoy retirement---you've earned it.

Congratulations, Zig! I retired last April, so it's been around 16 months. It was 'just time'.. I had 27 years with one company. Yes, it's an odd feeling for quite some time, and you'll still have some days where you think "what did I do?", but rest assured you'll know you did the right thing. You may have a list of things you want to do/ get to, and will find that you just don't get to them. And you know what? ... It's okay! I think you will find yourself much more relaxed (as it should be), and enjoying the "every day is Saturday" kind of feeling. My wife even noticed that I was calmer shortly after I retired. Funny, I was out having a couple afternoon beers at a local brewery with a friend (you'll be able to do that kind of thing too!) yesterday, and noticed a couple of guys at the bar constantly checking their phones for emails and stepping outside for business calls. I was just like that, and I felt so relieved that I don't need to be like that anymore. Ahhhhh...

Anyway, enjoy retirement and do all the fun stuff you can! Cheers!

First of all, thanks for your service and dedication. You've earned this, enjoy it to the max! Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience of more fretboard time. I sure do, and the opportunity to learn more is fabulous. More family time, too.

I'm 1/2 way through my tenth year. Keeping busy is critical. I do so much though, I wonder how I managed to have a full-time job. I also take Naps daily! Heavenly.

It happens -- sometimes not as planned. I had planned on 2 more years, but things just went downhill where I had been for 9 years -- all the interesting work ended and was replaced with s**t work. I brought this up and got nowhere, so called it a day with them back in March.

But I am doing super interesting volunteer stuff elsewhere now (2 days a week) If something really interesting comes along that's full time I will consider it -- but ideally this volunteering and 2 days doing same stuff in a part-time paid capacity would be best. If I just stay volunteering that means I did retire -- not quite psychically prepared for that.

So everybody adjusts in their own way and you will also. I am not at loose ends at all, but manic guitar scene had to cool off tho.

Congrats and thanks for your service! Hope your retirement is everything you want it to be!

I’m still about 8 years away from full-time retirement. I have 39 years in the Carpenters Union and I’m too old and broken down to swing a hammer much any more (except at home for free). I spend my days at a computer now, detailing formwork and doing estimates.

Make sure to keep active... like my 87 year old Dad says, “When you rest, you rust!”

Good luck!

Congrats, Greg! I’m officially retiring in January. Fill your time with love, music and fun!

Good on ya, Greg! As others have said...Thanks for your service. Tough job. Enjoy your permanent vacation.

Congratulations Greg! You've earned it.

Congrats, Greg.

Imminent move to the great state of Tennessee in 5...4...3...2...1

Congrats on your retirement, you've certainly earned it, and thanks for your service, as others have said.

I retired 7 months ago after 23 years with the same company, and it lasted a whole month before they decided they couldn't live without me and offered more money to do less work, so I took them up on it. Now it looks like they'll be shutting the place down sometime early next year, and I appear to be the one who will get to turn off the lights and lock the door when that time comes. Gonna be interesting. That month I was off was pretty darn nice, so I'm looking forward to resuming it.

I sort of retired seven years ago. I say sort of because I never fully retired. I took a couple of weeks off (cruise to Hawaii and back) and came back to working basically half time. I am scheduled for 19 1/2 hours per week. I work Monday, Tuesday and 3 1/2 hours on Wednesday. Then my weekend starts. I also do most of my work from home. It is really pretty nice and I tell people I work to pay for my cruises.

Good move, Greg! See you in Nashville!

Live the dream.

Congrats Zig, nothing better than permanent vacation.

Congrats! I'm jealous --- I don't see being able to afford to retire much before 80, if I even make it that far.

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Thanks, folks! I suppose I won’t be completely retired. Gonna play a lot more gigs, fix guitars and basses (on a small scale to start with) and start a small handyman business. We’ll see where it all goes. I’m looking forward to the flexibility and being able to chart my own course. I will definitely be spending more time on the sailboat, which is why, Rob, I won’t be moving to TN - there’s no ocean there.

Welcome to the retired team Zig, I'm glad you made the move. I can't imagine how much stress you have built up inside, now it's time to let it go. You've earned it many times over, but try not to let the days fly by. I try to make each day count for something, even if it's just learning a new song or lick. Enjoy your well earned break, and God bless you for your service to your community.

Zig, congrats! Now life will really begin for you. Great you were a constable. I admire law enforcement because it's true they protect and serve. Risking their lives for our protection. Thank you for your service. Now go out and play that funky music white boy!

Register Sign in to join the conversation