Miscellaneous Rumbles

Removing pinstriping?

Anybody ever had to remove pinstriping from their Gretsch? If so, what did you use? Just texted my friend Walt Richards, he said try mineral spirits and/or over cleaner. I trust his judgement, just seeing if anybody has any tips. Thank you and Happy Holidays! Jim The Number 9 Blacktops/Franklin County Trucking Company

Was the surface clear coated over the stripes?

If the stripes are on top, then I'd be looking for the gentlest Meguiar's polish (or even toothpaste) I could find and gently polishing them off. Haven't done it on a guitar, but it's worked very well for me on other items.

If it's clear coated on top of the striping, then you may have a more serious issue, because you'd have to remove the clearcoat before the stripe, and that's pretty much a refin..

Was the surface clear coated over the stripes?

If the stripes are on top, then I'd be looking for the gentlest Meguiar's polish (or even toothpaste) I could find and gently polishing them off. Haven't done it on a guitar, but it's worked very well for me on other items.

If it's clear coated on top of the striping, then you may have a more serious issue, because you'd have to remove the clearcoat before the stripe, and that's pretty much a refin..

– Kevin Frye

Kevin, its not clear coated over, it was just done with one-shot at a show. I'll try some toothpaste on a Qtip this week first, maybe save a trip to the hardware store

Kevin, its not clear coated over, it was just done with one-shot at a show. I'll try some toothpaste on a Qtip this week first, maybe save a trip to the hardware store

– Jim Rotramel

Try something abrasive. Some toothpastes are more abrasive than others. I've used Pearl Drops successfully to remove stuff on top of surfaces. It's an extremely fine abrasive in "normal" toothpaste (that's how it makes your teeth whiter), which is why a lot of dentists are kinda down on it these days. But it works for this sort of thing.

I wouldn't use toothpaste. Too abrasive. Is it a poly finish? If so, the mineral spirits is what I'd try first- that's what pinstripers use to clear off mistakes and clean brushes, etc. with. Then I'd follow with polish meant for guitar finishes. You could also try starting with the guitar polish. I'd also see if Curt weighs in on this..

Poly finishes are pretty tough. Cotton bud and lighter fuel could work. Plus, how long ago was it done? That enamel paint cures over a very long period.... So if it was done in the last year, it'll be an easier task than five years ago. There's other things you could try but they involve more risk and experiment.

If Walt says to use mineral spirits, I'd certainly try that first. I'm guessing Walt didn't stripe the one you have. I don't normally like striping on a guitar but Walt's work looks great.

One-shot is definitely mineral spirit-based. All of the suggestions here are good.

I use Meguiars #2 for things like this, followed by Meguiars #7. You can get both of them on Amazon if you can't find them locally.

Register Sign in to join the conversation