Miscellaneous Rumbles

Remember That One Thread from Years Ago…

It contained what was probably the single funniest thing I'll ever write.

I'm glad my idiot misfortune created such a fine opportunity for you. Do you remember the gist of your hilarity?

– Proteus

It was just a response to the question in your thread title: "What sort of person leaves their laptop on an airplane?", written from my perspective as one of those who frequently find such things.

The answer to the question, incidentally, is "everybody".

I spent my lunch hour on a fruitless search, and started to really get pissed because I found a bunch of threads I started that DrumBob commented on over in the garage sale section, but they weren't originally in the garage sale section, and they didn't contain the correct title. This would be in approx. the 155th page of garage sale. Very strange.

Even stranger, that I remembered how FUBAR'd this was, and I still was convinced I could find that thread.

Repeating the same thing over and expecting different results...insanity, right? 《<○v○>》

Yup! Starting around 5am, I had a couple of hours to kill, so I began searching for that "Amazon" thread... sometimes having a momentary fit of obsession can be very, very bad for me!

I did the same thing - went back in the Garage Sale section as far as page 256 (10 years 5 months ago).

I had forgotten that all that exists for most of those old threads is the thread title only - no content at all, not even the name of the original poster. Kind of like getting a hollow chocolate bunny on Easter morning.

I fear that the Phil Hartman Annie thread may be lost for good.

What makes you think that the Phil Hartman thread was in the Garage Sale section? It may well as easily have been in Miscellaneous Rumbles. Who knows if DrumBob was strict in his adherence to the Garage Sale section?

What makes you think that the Phil Hartman thread was in the Garage Sale section? It may well as easily have been in Miscellaneous Rumbles. Who knows if DrumBob was strict in his adherence to the Garage Sale section?

– Ric12string

That just seems unlike DrumBob. That is the sort of tomfoolery up with which he would not put.

However, it appears that the issue of hollow threads without content isn't limited to the Garage Sale section.

the last time i tried looking for old posts i found the empty-threads thing to be pretty universal.

When I've successfully searched threads, I've found them retitled, and in another section.

Usually in the garage sale section, no matter what the actual content may have been.

Wasn't there another notorious one from the early days of the GDP, Bax, about Setzer's hair? I recall Jeff "Jackweed" O mentioning it occasionally. Would love to see what that one was about!

– Ric12string

Ric, I started that one and it was titled « Setzer’s educational video », meaning guitar education of course but quickly derailed onto considerations on proper pomp grooming...

An especial favourite was when UncleDon bought a Tru-Arc bridge. He wasn't entirely happy with it but for reasons known only to himself, couldn't and wouldn't accept the offer of either an exchange or a full refund and continued to complain bitterly and in full view about it.

It was an absolute masterpiece of stubborn stupidity.

When I've successfully searched threads, I've found them retitled, and in another section.

Usually in the garage sale section, no matter what the actual content may have been.

– crowbone

That is what you'll see: the thread in all it's glory, with the wrong title and maybe-probably the wrong section.

But if you point me to it, I can correct those things.

Register Sign in to join the conversation