Miscellaneous Rumbles

Remember That One Thread from Years Ago…

I don't know why this topic popped in my head just now, but it did, and this is turning out to be the forum threat topic equivalent of an earworm. So I really, really need to scratch this itch... and I so need your help! I pray I'm not making this up, and I hope I'm not misremembering this, and I'm pretty certain it was on this forum.

Okay so… there was a thread quite a number of years ago, about a gentlemen, who befriended an old gal pal of his --- they started hanging out and doing fun things together --- he claims they weren't "dating" or even getting romantically involved with each other, and affirmed they were "just friends."

All the forum members gave him fair warning on where this was heading and how this was going to turn out --- he seemed to accept everyone’s advanced caution and advice, however, as the old phrase goes: one thing led to another, and voilà! Before we knew it, it was popcorn time! That's when the fun started...

I remember that thread went on for miles, as it had me seriously glued to the screen.

Does this story sound remotely familiar to anyone? 'cause I really need to make sure I ain't going any nutser than I already am!

Thanks in advance!

I am guessing that you are talking about that thread from years ago started by GDPer Cousin Steve who wrote about his roommate that he referred to as "the Amazon." It started out platonic and then progressed from there into uncharted waters for them. If I recall correctly, he eventually asked her to leave his house.

I think that he announced that his mother had developed a brain tumor and that he was having some other issues. But, I haven't seen him on here for many years now.

Funny, I was just thinking about that thread a couple of weeks ago and wondering whatever happened to the key players. I also wondered if we had all been trolled by Cousin Steve with that tale. We'll never know.

EDIT: I searched for the thread and was unable to find it anywhere. It appears that it may have been lost to the database meltdown.

I am guessing that you are talking about that thread from years ago started by GDPer Cousin Steve who wrote about his roommate that he referred to as "the Amazon." It started out platonic and then progressed from there into uncharted waters for them. If I recall correctly, he eventually asked her to leave his house.

I think that he announced that his mother had developed a brain tumor and that he was having some other issues. But, I haven't seen him on here for many years now.

Funny, I was just thinking about that thread a couple of weeks ago and wondering whatever happened to the key players. I also wondered if we had all been trolled by Cousin Steve with that tale. We'll never know.

EDIT: I searched for the thread and was unable to find it anywhere. It appears that it may have been lost to the database meltdown.

– Ric12string

Sounds like that's probably for the better.

Oh, that was a good one. Resurrecting that one would be entertaining. I too was riveted. Almost as much as Konrads train ride thread.

That is certainly the thread and remember that he got a new cat which was giving him comfort in a tough time where is mother was diagnosed with cancer that was in later stages.

I did love that "Amazon" thread and he was a great guy on these pages but he pretty much faded (I don't think he has a profile anymore) after the meltdown. He was very active but now nothing.

I miss PopeyeMJK as he is mostly on Facebook guitar pages.

I occasionally see a fellow nicknamed DrumBob posting on another forum.

He inadvertently started another epic GDP thread, possibly the funniest thing that I've ever read anywhere, that began with DrumBob attempting to sell a Gretsch Annie. But the discussion quickly devolved into a hilarious tale in which comedian Phil Hartman (who in real life had been murdered by his wife) was posthumously attempting to take revenge for DrumBob selling his guitar . . . or something along those lines.

THAT thread would be worth recovering!

That is certainly the thread and remember that he got a new cat which was giving him comfort in a tough time where is mother was diagnosed with cancer that was in later stages.

I did love that "Amazon" thread and he was a great guy on these pages but he pretty much faded (I don't think he has a profile anymore) after the meltdown. He was very active but now nothing.

I miss PopeyeMJK as he is mostly on Facebook guitar pages.

– NJDevil

Actually, Cousin Steve still has a GDP profile, but he hasn't posted in several years.

And I miss PopeyeMJK as well. He was truly a character.

I occasionally see a fellow nicknamed DrumBob posting on another forum.

He inadvertently started another epic GDP thread, possibly the funniest thing that I've ever read anywhere, that began with DrumBob attempting to sell a Gretsch Annie. But the discussion quickly devolved into a hilarious tale in which comedian Phil Hartman (who in real life had been murdered by his wife) was posthumously attempting to take revenge for DrumBob selling his guitar . . . or something along those lines.

THAT thread would be worth recovering!

– geoguy

That was a thread which displayed the quick and enjoyable wit of our late friend, Gretschman36, who passed away some months ago. It was a thread which I fear may have pushed DrumBob off the GDP forever, but I see him occasionally over on Gretsch-Talk. He is a writer and writes articles for various magazines, mostly about rock music and instrument topics.

That thread is one that Gretschman36 was rightly proud of. He created some great images and loved teasing Proteus in it. Another good guy whom I seriously miss around here and offline as well.

If you can remember a specific part of the thread then search google like so:

blah blah blah(Being the specific wording of the thread) site:gretschpages.com

Yeah, I never could figure out why DrumBob got so upset about all of that except that he was trying to sell a guitar and we were just having fun with his thread. No worries. Anyone heard from Mun lately?

Yeah, I never could figure out why DrumBob got so upset about all of that except that he was trying to sell a guitar and we were just having fun with his thread. No worries. Anyone heard from Mun lately?

– Suprdave

I thought we were going to see him and his quilting lady in Nashville. Hope he’s OK.

– Suprdave

That was precisely it, Dave. DrumBob's sense of humor didn't encompass any zany hijinks as was going on in that thread. He wanted to get that guitar sold. Of course, one could argue that the silliness which went on there was helping to keep DrumBob's thread at the very top of the New Topics list for many days. He eventually got over it, but he never wanted to return to the GDP after that incident.

Yeah, that's a shame because we really are a lovable bunch.

– Ric12string

LOL! Heck yeah! That's it!

I spent the better part of the morning exhausting the site:gretschpages search query, and came up empty!

Man, guess it was a thread that was meant to go down with the great GDP Crash a few years back...

Thanks for the swift response guys [Ric12string]... just knowing the basics of that saga, I'll sleep comfortably tonight!

Whu? Haven’t I been around, here and offline? I have, I have!

And GMan wasn’t so much teasing me in the thread as we were co-conspirators keeping it going with, as I recall, escalating improvised bits of ridiculosity. It was like online improv on a theme.

(Please confirm this post is seen and acknowledged. If I don’t exist, I want to know it now rather than later.)

And... did Phil Hartman’s middle name begin with T? Enquiring minds. Just who IS this “Phil T?”

And... did Phil Hartman’s middle name begin with T? Enquiring minds. Just who IS this “Phil T?”

– Proteus

LOL

If you can remember a specific part of the thread then search google like so:

blah blah blah(Being the specific wording of the thread) site:gretschpages.com

– crowbone

and if you DO find a match but the thread topic is all munged up, send me what you found and I can fix it.

Lost threads----

Where's the lemon pledge one, or the gold piping thread, or anything from Chonny?

Lost threads----

Where's the lemon pledge one, or the gold piping thread, or anything from Chonny?

– wabash slim

Wasn't there another notorious one from the early days of the GDP, Bax, about Setzer's hair? I recall Jeff "Jackweed" O mentioning it occasionally. Would love to see what that one was about!

Wasn't there another notorious one from the early days of the GDP, Bax, about Setzer's hair? I recall Jeff "Jackweed" O mentioning it occasionally. Would love to see what that one was about!

– Ric12string

Err, that one is better lost to the ages....lol

One that I miss, although for purely selfish reasons, is the thread Proteus started after accidentally leaving his laptop on an airplane. It contained what was probably the single funniest thing I'll ever write. Another casualty of the database meltdown, just days after I had unintentionally deleted the Word file that I'd used to compose my post.

The Phil Hartman thread was epic, and I'm pretty sure it's still in there somewhere - it predated the period that was lost in the meltdown.

I was all wrapped up in the Amazon saga too. That was a classic thread.

It contained what was probably the single funniest thing I'll ever write.

I'm glad my idiot misfortune created such a fine opportunity for you. Do you remember the gist of your hilarity?

Actually, Cousin Steve still has a GDP profile, but he hasn't posted in several years.

And I miss PopeyeMJK as well. He was truly a character.

– Ric12string

Yeah, I Iiked all of Cousin Steve's posts.

PopeyeMJK was one of many who provided me with valuable in put on really narrowing down my choice on my first Gretsch back in December of '09. A lot of good folks really lending a helping hand on that. You of course were in the mix along with Ratrod, RockabillyBob, Mr. Trouble, Superdave, Proteus, Mr Tickle had a comment or 2, Parabar, Bob Howard, Bonedaddy, Michael Williams, Curt, Crowbone, Bear, Redrocker, Jeff O, Richard Hudson, macphisto, Richard Baguley, and quite a few more.

There was so much good input and loved that a little friction was in there due to some differing opinions. It was a great thread that weeks later made me pull the trigger on my Black Phoenix.

Register Sign in to join the conversation