Miscellaneous Rumbles

Reasons to buy a guitar?

I was talking with another guitar playing friend about the decision making process before buying a guitar. He thinks there are a series of rational reasons that then create an irrational urge to buy a particular guitar. I contend it's an emotional (irrational) decision that we then find logical reasons to rationalize. After reading the threads about how many guitars some folks here have, and how many guitars is enough, I suspect others here might have thought about this as well. :)

Here are my most common excuses to myself:

1) a unique tone that I'll use for recording (i.e. a 12 string, or a baritone)

2) I want to get that sound like player X gets (in my instance, this might be Nokie Edwards, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, George Harrison)

3) it's a good deal and I could flip it if I don't wind up loving it (this one also works with my wife)

4) it's different and could be inspiring

So, what about you? How do you convince yourself that it's time to buy a particular guitar?

I have made quite a few decions to buy a guitar in the last 3 years(4 gits total purchased)

1) Because I like it....period. Any guitar purchased has been on a list of mine for years.

2) Because I want the same sound Johnny Winter or some other artist. Or my personal favorite: owning this guitar will make me a better player.

3) Since the guitar was on the list and the economy is bad, I'm able to get this baby at a better price......I'll just cut back on other things.

4) see reason #1 and add simply that I want what I do not have.

5) Since I'm not technical and never mod a guitar, I'll buy one to get me where "I GOTTA BE". Of course you know I don't really "have to be anywhere"

1 good deal

2 inspiration

3 cause I wanted one

For any and all of the reasons listed above. The irrational lust tends to come first. The rationalizing and justifying comes later. Occasionally, cooler heads prevail and I can walk away. That's rare though.

Because they're so cool.

I tend to justify it through the "it does something my others don't" rationale. But yesterday I sold two of my cool-but-less-expensive-guitars to help finance mods to my T-Rose. Won't be buying any more anytime soon.

Money in my pocket respectively on the bank.

But mostly pure irrational instinct like built4speed mentioned and the notion 'I can sell it everytime without losing money at this price'.

With three guitars, I've got a decently wide tone palette covered for the styles I play. The only reason I'd get another is to upgrade to better quality craftsmanship than the mass produced Korean stuff that I have. Let's face it, most of us look on our guitars as objects of beauty, so why not surround yourself with more beauty?

Hmmm, hard to say. I probably buy guitars for these reasons:

1. I want that specific guitar (such as my Country Club).

2. For a different sound or playing experience, that will inspire me to play more, or play different things (hence the reason for getting my 12-string acoustic).

3. I like it, and it's available at a stupid cheap price.

All of the workings of the Universe are logical. For example, Steven Hawking said, "Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations." Then he asked, "What is it that breaths fire into the equations and makes a Universe for them to describe? "

Good Question!

My point is that galaxies and atoms move in logical ways, but they are not made of logic. There are even scientists who claim that the Essence of the Universe is Love Consciousness.

Jesus referred to It ('Him') as "Our Father."

Einstein was perplexed by the fact that when a photon (light-ray) passes too close to an overly charged atom, the atom will release another photon of exactly the same wave-length and in exactly the same direction. (This is how lasers work.) Why do the atoms do this? - It is merely the Universe reaching out to Itself: It is made of Love Consciousness reaching out to unite with Itself! (Like magnetism and gravity.)

"The basic underlying and uniting force of the universe is a psychic energy field of love and soul consciousness (the Unified Field) which lies not only beyond time and space but ALSO beneath our deepest fears." - Allen L. Roland, Ph.D.

Which is to answer that my reasons to buy a guitar are ultimately, Because I Want it!

What does logic or reasoning have to do with it? - Sure, there are reasons and logic aplenty, all around us everywhere. But they are not the essential drive. It is just simply Love of Life which causes desire (and lust).

There are plenty of reasons to (and not to) buy. But it gets down to: I want it! :D

"If there were no real propensity or urge to unite, even at a prodigiously rudimentary level, indeed, even in the molecule itself, it would be physically impossible for LOVE to appear higher up, in the 'hominized' or human form." - Teilhard de Chardin

"Love alone is capable of uniting living beings in such a was as to complete and fulfill them, for it alone takes them and joins them by what is deepest within themselves." - Teilhard de Chardin

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Because it was for sale.

...and it whispered "Take me home!"

I just love instruments. My collection goes well beyond guitars.

When I was a little kid I remember dreaming about living in a house with instruments in every room. I wanted to surround myself with musical instruments. As I age, I am making this dream happen.

My reason for buying guitars is that I love them.

Dylan

About 40 years ago, I had my "dream". I love Gretsches, and decided that some day, I would own the following:

6119 Tenny 6120 Nashville 6122 Gent 6136 Falcon

This dream was on my "make it happen" list, but the list took second seat to the realities of life..........wife, raising our son, buying a house, etc, and it's taken a long time to be close to my make it happen list.

I'm almost there, with a few twists. I've got the Falcon, and -58 and -59 Gents. No Tenny or Nashville, but I'm pleased with what I have, and I feel fortunate to have what I have.

My only reason to buy another Gretsch would be to fill the "make it happen" list. I would consider the -59HOF to have the "orange", but the tiger flame wood doesn't inspire me enough to make that move. If the HOF was quilted, like some of those beautiful late 50's early 60's 6120's, then I would have to see what I could do.

All of my Gretsches are "JT's", and that's just fine with me. Outstanding instruments.

So for me, my reason to buy another guitar would be just to finish my "dream".

I'm pretty close, and what I have may just be good enough because I'm happy.

Hahaha, oh yeah, it's for sure this reason for me: If I buy this guitar, I will play more and will be a better player.... :D

@JD - The basic Tenny is a bit unique in its combination of features. It's longer scale with a 16" bout, Filters and tone pot circuitry. Most Filter equipped GreTscHes have a mud switch. 6120s are close in depth and share the same bout, but they are the shorter 24.6" scale. Falcon's are 25.5" but a 17" bout. 6120s are iconic, but the Rose is special and generally more affordable. I've seen excellent condition FMIC Roses sell for $1100-$1200, and can regularly be found for around $1400. I paid a smidgen more than that for mine, but I love it so much that I can't regret being hasty and not getting the best price.

"The basic underlying and uniting force of the universe is a psychic energy field of love and soul consciousness (the Unified Field) which lies not only beyond time and space but ALSO beneath our deepest fears." - Allen L. Roland, Ph.D.

Groovy!

Roland holds a "PhD" in something called "Spiritual Psychology" from Greenwich University, not to be confused with the University of Greenwich. It's an controversial and generally unrecognized correspondence institution. One doesn't need a PhD for poetically mystical musings. Why not just be a poet or self-help author instead of posing as someone who participates in rigorous, formal, peer-reviewed academic research?

As you think in your heart, so it is with you.

I'm not waiting for you to agree.

:) ;-)

... do you need a reason to buy a(nother) guitar? :D

@JD - The basic Tenny is a bit unique in its combination of features. It's longer scale with a 16" bout, Filters and tone pot circuitry. Most Filter equipped GreTscHes have a mud switch. 6120s are close in depth and share the same bout, but they are the shorter 24.6" scale. Falcon's are 25.5" but a 17" bout. 6120s are iconic, but the Rose is special and generally more affordable. I've seen excellent condition FMIC Roses sell for $1100-$1200, and can regularly be found for around $1400. I paid a smidgen more than that for mine, but I love it so much that I can't regret being hasty and not getting the best price.

– Strummerson

– Strummerson

Yep, something very special about a Tenny. Basic, simple, and just nice.

Even though I've had my "make it happen list", I guess that I've modified it over the years, and this may be a good thing.

I became more aware of various versions of guitars, and have turned into a "single cut" guy. So, even though I have two single cut Gents, the -58 and -59 are two completely different animals for specs/features, and I love them both.

Like I stated earlier, I would consider trading/selling the -59 for a -59HOF, just to have the Sunset Orange, but at this point, I'm just not motivated enough to do that. Now a quilted top HOF...........that would get me seriously thinking. LOL

So, if some "luck" comes my way, I would probably add a Tenny and a HOF, and call the dream complete, but I'm not complaining now. I feel that I'm a lucky guy:D

I LOVE the single cut gents. And yes, the pup configs make them very different. Wish they came either with open holes or without the painted ones. But that's just a personal peccadillo.

And yeah, Tennies and Annies are the bargains of the pro-line cohort. Just excellent VFM in both cases. Wish they made an Annie with HTs that would pop up in this price range.

It is rational to buy something that will make you happy even if the reasons it makes you happy are irrational.

It is rational to buy something that will make you happy even if the reasons it makes you happy are irrational.

– TwangOmatic

– TwangOmatic

Depends on how many nights I have to sleep in the "doghouse" LOL

Register Sign in to join the conversation