Miscellaneous Rumbles

I Guess He Was Not Racist Don Rickles dies.

Sad day for those who enjoyed his racism, blatant insults of blacks, Irish, Italians etc. However many of us found him offensive. My grandmother said she dated him in the 1940's but couldn't stand it when he called her names in front of Sammy Davis, Jr and Dean Martin. So she dumped him and started dating Joey Bishop and Sid Caesar. Later in life she refused to eat Caesar salad, so I concluded that something was amiss.

Sad day for those who enjoyed his racism, blatant insults of blacks, Irish, Italians etc. However many of us found him offensive. My grandmother said she dated him in the 1940's but couldn't stand it when he called her names in front of Sammy Davis, Jr and Dean Martin. So she dumped him and started dating Joey Bishop and Sid Caesar. Later in life she refused to eat Caesar salad, so I concluded that something was amiss.

– Gretschrocker

he was totally offensive

There are no words that are offensive by themselves. The offense comes from the emotion and intent of the one delivering the words. When delivered with hatred, the phrase "I love you, too" is offensive. I've heard it delivered that way once or twice by ex-girlfriends.....

Don Rickles was not really trying to hurt anyone. That would not be comedy. He was knocking people and their stereotypes off their high horses. No one was too big to escape his tongue. This made some people pretty nervous; actually hearing racial, religious, and ethnic slurs out loud. He said out loud many things that people only said in their minds, which served to expose these dark things to the bright light of public scrutiny. He would routinely make jokes about himself, too. I put him in the same club as Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, and Lenny Bruce; all of whom were considered obscene and extremely edgy. But.... underneath their comedy was a whole lot of truth. Rickles closed his set with a disclaimer that we're all the same flesh and blood and that none of his performance was delivered with any malice. RIP, Don.

Troll, that's all. It seems to be his only contribution here

"He said out loud many things that people only said in their minds, which served to expose these dark things to the bright light of public scrutiny. "

Huh?! Forgot the part where he made millions by "joking" about blacks, various ethnic groups, homosexuals, and anyone he could stereotype. Hatred, bigotry and racism isn't funny. And to applaud this uncreative bully Don Rickles and to accept his low brow "humor" as something that actually contributed to the betterment of humanity is simply ignorant. I believe he was a tired constipated looking old man who hid behind the label of "comedy" - but his one dimensional and worn out "jokes" about ethnic groups and anyone else he could stereotype revealed his underlying lack of talent.

Troll, that's all. It seems to be his only contribution here

– built4speed

Proxy Troll, at that.

Somebody decided to take their sock puppet out for a walk to stir things up, again.

There's a distinct aroma of gold piping in the air.

"He said out loud many things that people only said in their minds, which served to expose these dark things to the bright light of public scrutiny. "

Huh?! Forgot the part where he made millions by "joking" about blacks, various ethnic groups, homosexuals, and anyone he could stereotype. Hatred, bigotry and racism isn't funny. And to applaud this uncreative bully Don Rickles and to accept his low brow "humor" as something that actually contributed to the betterment of humanity is simply ignorant. I believe he was a tired constipated looking old man who hid behind the label of "comedy" - but his one dimensional and worn out "jokes" about ethnic groups and anyone else he could stereotype revealed his underlying lack of talent.

– Gretschrocker

I love you, too.

Try not to be sad. Don Rickles is gone. He did so much to bring us all together, regardless of creed, color, nationality, sexual orientation, age or waist size. And now there is no more racism, homophobia, or mean spirited divisive words left in this world.

We get it, you don't like him nor his comedy. To go on a long diatribe about the man doesn't change one thing societal in nature. Are we to now jump on your own personal hate wagon or be demeaned too???

Did the OP really name-drop his grandmother?

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

Granny partied.

We get it, you don't like him nor his comedy. To go on a long diatribe about the man doesn't change one thing societal in nature. Are we to now jump on your own personal hate wagon or be demeaned too???

– Parralax View

I prefer to think of it as fulmination. But hey... I ain't even mad bro.

I love you, too.

– beatbyrd

Bill O'Reilly?!

Proxy Troll, at that.

Somebody decided to take their sock puppet out for a walk to stir things up, again.

There's a distinct aroma of gold piping in the air.

– Timthom62

fulmination

fulmination

– Gretschrocker

self-aggrandization

Thought this one was dead. Speaking of dead, I'll not kick the corpse of a beloved comic. The other night I was flipping around the TV and I caught an old Friars roast of Don, Hosted by a very young Johnny Carson and populated by a host of Hollywood royalty, I can not remember when I laughed so hard, and so loud that I woke my wife on the second floor. God rest and bless Don Rickles. He was no racist.

Quit the Snowflake crap, and have some respect. The man just died.

what a bunch of jackweeds

plenty of butt hurt reports to be filled our here

bwaaaahahaha

don and redd foxx were IT in the 70's

what a bunch of jackweeds

plenty of butt hurt reports to be filled our here

bwaaaahahaha

don and redd foxx were IT in the 70's

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)
  • Rey Allen (Jeff O) says:

don and redd foxx were IT in the 70's*

I always felt Carlin and Pryor were it back then.

Rickles and Foxx were old school in the 70's, but still funny.

maybe I did have the years...late 60's early 70's probably more like it

Redd Foxx cleaned his act up a little when the TV show hit

Register Sign in to join the conversation