Miscellaneous Rumbles

Question re: Guitar Center coupons

I returned a generous xmas present that my brother got me--a compressor--to GC and got a nice credit (actually a gift card). I've always wanted an American Standard Strat. It occurred to me that if I sell my E-Series MIJ Strat, and combine that money with my gift card and a phone discount, the purchase will be manageable. (My wife will still be pissed, but not as pissed.)

So I called GC today and asked about discounts. The guy said that he could give me 8% but if i wanted a bigger discount, I had to get a GC coupon. He said none are available now, but to keep checking the website.

If you Google "Guitar Center discount," you'll find a bunch of sites that ask you to put in your email address. Are they kosher? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I wouldn't put your email in. I would just wait for a gc coupon or sale since they are having the sale of the year every other weekend.

You're probably right. Thanks.

Sign up with GC to have them email you promotions. 15% off coupons are fairly common and every third or fourth one is a 20% off. They often seem to center around holidays.

Sign up with GC to have them email you promotions. 15% off coupons are fairly common and every third or fourth one is a 20% off. They often seem to center around holidays.

– beatbyrd

If you call Musicians Friend (the internet only sibling of GC), you can sometimes get the 15% even without a coupon.

If you call Musicians Friend (the internet only sibling of GC), you can sometimes get the 15% even without a coupon.

– drmilktruck

That was my first thought too. The problem is that MF and GC appear to have different inventories. The model I'm looking for doesn't show up on the MF website. MF says it that the only American Standard Strats w/ rosewood it has left are sunburst. I'm looking for olympic white (GC guy said they have plenty). MF has the new line (American Professional Series) but they have a thicker neck.

Thanks everyone.

You can always wait for their Presidents' Day sale next month. Or you can see if they will match Musicians Friends call and save offer. I bought an amp with the discount and it was 12% off.

Kind of weird. I signed up for the Guitar Center emails and expected to be inundated with spam. Haven't heard anything, I get a weekly email from Sweetwater.

Those 15% off GC coupons won't work for fender guitars. Says so in fine print.

Those 15% off GC coupons won't work for fender guitars. Says so in fine print.

– Jack Skellington

Nuts.

Never say never. I have gotten 15% to 20% off on Rickenbacker, Squier, Roland, EB Musicman, AKG, and a number of other brands in GC or Sam Ash stores. It helps if you speak with a manager, are polite, not too eager, and have decent negotiation skills. Wait until purchase before mentioning the gift card. You've already got 8%, so getting another 7% or more shouldn't be that hard. Try bringing in a printout of a lower price that you found on the net, even if it's from Musician's Friend. They will almost always match (or beat) it. Best of luck.

Like so much in my life, it started off well but ended badly.

GC found an olympic white American Standard w/ rosewood in a Long Island store, and offered me a 15% phone discount. I ordered it. They said they'd ship it to my local NJ store and email me when it was in progress. When I asked the salesperson to read back my email address, she had it wrong. She said it was too late to correct the order but I could call back to check on its status--I just couldn't receive an email update (or, apparently, a copy of the receipt).

A few days later, I called to check its status. A very nice woman in customer service (in Indiana) told me that my guitar had been shipped to a store in Louisville KY. She apologized and commented that i should get more than 15% off because it's a discontinued floor model. She called the KY store but the manager refused to budge.

She said that he told her that he was holding it in his hands and it was clean as a whistle--no dings no scratches no nothing. That was a couple days ago.

It came in today. I ran out of work early to get to my local store to pick it up. I unboxed it in front of a GC employee and there was a big chip (down to the wood) on the front edge. Not at all hidden. It was next to the toggle switch. The NJ people were extremely apologetic and nice. But I was crushed. Another GC story, i know.

Use the Sweetwater Guitar Gallery.

You see exactly the guitar you are going to get.

This is the SG I saw on the Sweetwater Gallery...and this is the SG I bought and now love:

Register Sign in to join the conversation