Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage Gold 1959 6120

An interesting 1959 6120 with an older, gold refinish at one of the nearby vintage dealers in Toronto. I have nothing to do with the guitar, but thought it looks very cool. For my American brethren, the exchange rate would be in your favor and probably priced about right (approx. $4500 USD at current exchange) for a non-originally finished, but otherwise original 1959 6120.

http://www.capsulemusic.com...

Interesting, looks more like a 60? I would be skeptical about some foolishness under that refin, but it's kinda cool. Not sure how the Canadian price works out to the dollar, but looks a good bit cheaper. It does appear that the binding is on its way out, if you zoom in the photos.

I like it!

Aye,that looks pretty cool!

Neat. It does need a refret or at least a tighter string spacing, Check out the high E on the fret board.

I saw that, and I don't like it. Especially for $6000. Maybe it's better in person. But in my opinion a 1959 6120 HAS to be Gretsch orange.

That's just a little more than $4000 USD.

Neat. It does need a refret or at least a tighter string spacing, Check out the high E on the fret board.

– Toxophilite

Shouldn't a little bridge base moving be cheaper than a refret or am I missing something?

Intersting guitar! I kinda like the look.

Nice price for vintage single cut 6120 (even with the refin)!

Dig it. The bigsby from the 2.75" era. Hard to tell what it is. But that thing is a killer diller for 4K.

That would go nice with my Gold '57 Duo Jet.

That's just a little more than $4000 USD.

It's on the 'verb for $4700. I like the blackened headstock. Bigsby looks vintage. FWIW (great song BTW) I once got a Gretsch from Ontario and there were absolutely no problems with shipping. Canadians are great.

Capsule is a decent store. I've bought a couple of guitars from them in the past. If I had 6 grand, it would be mine! But... I don't. Someone here should snap it up.

I saw that, and I don't like it. Especially for $6000. Maybe it's better in person. But in my opinion a 1959 6120 HAS to be Gretsch orange.

– Daddy Dog

I'm with you regarding the vintage 6120's. To me, that refinished color just looks insipid....the 'vanilla' of colored guitars.

Sascha, maybe what I should've said was check out the frets. They're all pinched off at the binding and if there was fret end binding it's looks like it's worn away. Moving the bridge won't fix that. Needs a refret.

i don't mind the gold at all, though it would be cooler if it were all cracked and green like an old Gibson 295. To me there's a few too many orange Gretschs out there these days. I use to want one but now they're like starbucks. EVERYWHERE!

I love it! A Grebson ES 61295, what's not to like?!

US $4,581.31 plus shipping.............very cool

I think it has bad binding rot. Maybe the refin was to cover the brown staining that usually happens when the binding gasses out? I'd like to be wrong because I like the color and price too. I guess even to rebind that would be a great price.

Sascha, maybe what I should've said was check out the frets. They're all pinched off at the binding and if there was fret end binding it's looks like it's worn away. Moving the bridge won't fix that. Needs a refret.

i don't mind the gold at all, though it would be cooler if it were all cracked and green like an old Gibson 295. To me there's a few too many orange Gretschs out there these days. I use to want one but now they're like starbucks. EVERYWHERE!

– Toxophilite

In my experience that's what fret ends on vintage Gretsches from this era look like. That's a typical quirk. From a modern point of view they all need a refret.

Wow! That looks surprisingly nice!

It really looks like you can see the tang of the frets on either end. In fact it looks like the binding is bowed around each fret end like the tang was too long. Even if you moved the bridge your strings would be slipping off those frets all the time. As far as the mechanics of playing guitar goes I don't see a difference between a modern and 'vintage' viewpoint. However if you didn't intend to play the guitar then it wouldn't be a problem .

We should have sent db62 down in person to see it. I think he's the closest. I'm too busy today. Fun to see the interest it's generating!

Whomever can get to the store to see this beast, please get the serial number so we can confirm it's proper place in the production chronology.

Register Sign in to join the conversation