Miscellaneous Rumbles

“Punk Rock”

If a Punk band sells more records than you can drink beer in one evening than they arent a real Punk band anymore

Thanks to this thread I just had to walk to the record store and get me the 180g vinyl of The Adicts - "Sound of music". What an album. All killer, no filler!

Just have to mention the “Suburban Lawns” I’m not sure if they would have considered themselves “punk” but in many ways were like “X” ...an unsually good band taking music into a new frontier.

Just have to mention the “Suburban Lawns” I’m not sure if they would have considered themselves “punk” but in many ways were like “X” ...an unsually good band taking music into a new frontier.

– Hipbone

I saw them with Black Flag and FEAR. Great Band.

Kids went crazy over this! I saw them perform at Magic Mountain, Sue Tissue moved less than anyone I’ve ever seen on stage. They were “anti rock stars” dressed like “normal” folks. Very much from the “Talking Heads” school of downplaying being a rock star.

Whooops. I thought we were joking and sincerely hope Strum thinks so too. If not, I do apologise wholeheartedly.

– Nick45

Yes. Joking. Joke's on Bax apparently.

To clarify to the nth degree, I absolutely support intolerance of NAZIs.

Cool topic! Yes, I am a big Clash and Ramones fan. Still listen to them even though I mostly listen to very different music now. I love a lot of the original punk bands from the 70s and early 80s. But those two really stuck. But there are lots of very good memories with lots of the bands mentioned.

Which isn’t the same as acceptance, but I’ll settle for toleration.

Glad I hadn’t pissed you off.

Kids went crazy over this! I saw them perform at Magic Mountain, Sue Tissue moved less than anyone I’ve ever seen on stage. They were “anti rock stars” dressed like “normal” folks. Very much from the “Talking Heads” school of downplaying being a rock star.

– Hipbone

I dont think there were any "Rock Stars" in the Punk scene. Well ,maybe that dufus Johnny Lydon.

And yes, When I finally did see The Suburban Lawns live they were very subdued, but their music cranked hard and rhythmic,they brought alot of energy but you wouldnt know it as they mainly just stood there like statues. The Punks waiting to see Black Flag drenched poor sue in gallons of Spit. It was a disgusting sight, but she stood there belting out her tunes without missing a beat nonetheless.

Sue Tissue was a staple on The Rodney on The Roq show and he played alot of their tunes, a very underrated Band for sure. Now that you brought them up Im going to look for their music online. Thanks!

"Never Mind the Bullocks" on the turntable at the moment...Cheers to Billy Zoom!

Here's a thread on punk, and someone's glad he DIDN'T piss someone off.

And they say human nature doesn't evolve.

– Proteus

Things can change in a New York minute....

When I saw the “Suburban Lawns” Su Tissue was wearing a bridal vale and I don’t think she moved a muscle the entire time, hell I don’t think she blinked! Great show though! Loved their sense of humor.

Fully into punk back in the day ... and just saw Radio Birdman this weekend. The frenetic fretwork of Deniz Tek is just as good as back in the day. If you don't know Birdman;

Since this is a Punk thread I just wanted to share 3 unreleased songs of my former band "The Glasses". We were a 3 piece band from Vienna/Austria.

I'm singing (or call it shouting haha) and playing guitar.

Rhythm parts were played with my Cabronita Telecaster build (Poplar body, maple Strat neck, 2 TV Jones Supertrons, Hot Rod circuit wiring). Lead parts were played with a full maple Les Paul clone loaded with 2 TV Jones Powertrons, Hot Rod circuit wiring.

Amp was a Laney Lionheart 20w head. Tube amp. Cabinet was a VOX cab loaded with 2 Celestion Blue Bulldog. Effects used were a classic Nocturne Brain Seltzer and a T-Rex Tonebug OD Pedal. Enjoy!

Working Poor

Show Off

Joke's on You

Thanks to this thread I just had to walk to the record store and get me the 180g vinyl of The Adicts - "Sound of music". What an album. All killer, no filler!

– sascha

Adicts are Killer!

I have Rise and Shine. Awesome too

– Proteus

Apparently we managed to get under Baxter's skin.

My favorite punk band was the Toy Dolls. They were a bit of a punk rock parody band but they were also very skilled musicians and great showmen.

Their song were filled with irony. Songs about things that happened in their fictional neighborhood and everyday people. And all that makes them the punk rock of punk rock.

1 2 3 4!

I was fortunate to see the Ramones in the early 80’s The best show I’ve ever seen. The energy they exuded was amazing. Never pauses between songs just a “1 2 3 4!”

I would have loved to have seen them at CBGB’s But the Hollywood Palladium show Is etched in my mind forever..... ....”blue smoke”.....

Nice to hear your perspective on it since you weren't only there at the beginning, you WERE the beginning. So if there is a current band that plays in the "punk" style that actually does have street cred, I'm thinking like a Rancid or Swingin Utters or something like that (if they aren't real they have me fooled). Then would you sort of consider them to be a punk style tribute band?

– Rockabilly_Nick

Punk was a rebellion against the status quo. Since that status is no longer quo, the original Punk scene is no longer relevent aside from having produced some really cool music to listen to. The important thing is that WE WON! Punk changed the future of popular music forever.

I can safely say punk is the #1 music ive listened to since I started listening to music, nothing else really does it as much for me. Its better when Gretsch's are involved

Register Sign in to join the conversation