Miscellaneous Rumbles

President George H.W.Bush:1924-2018 R.I.P.

I met Mr. Bush early in 2001 when he was the keynote speaker at a conference I worked on.

He made very strong impressions as a person of character and substance. He was very humble but confident. No "smoke and mirrors" -- he was open, honest and direct. When asked about a specific incident during a press conference, his reply was (my words) "Did you ever try to think of the 5 most stupid things you've ever done? Well that one is in my top 5 list. I won't tell you which one, but it is right up there...."

He looked you right in the eye -- NO arrogance, very genuine.... Rest In Peace Mr. Bush.

I admired President Bush, he was in the White House during difficult times. RIP Mr Bush.

The last President who was older than me......

He devoted his life to public service. Can't ask for more than that.

I will let his record speak for itself, there will be many retrospectives that address his career over the next few days. For the moment, it's worth noting he was the last of the Greatest Generation presidents, and a man of personal courage and patriotism when engaged in taking up arms to defend our country. The men who occupied the office afterwards, for good or ill, were informed by a very different worldview.

R.I.P.

– Tony

That's real nice, thanks. I consider myself lucky having had the opportunity to have dinner with the President. He was sincere. He was just a nice guy. I'll miss him. Rest in peace Sir.

I had the pleasure of meeting President GHW Bush in 2000 in Boston at a conference when He addressed a meeting of GAMA at the Convention Center there. Literally bumped into He and two Secret Service agents in the halls behind the backstage area. He was cordial and friendly and shook my hand. In his address, He was no nonsense, in fact I was a bit shocked by his language ( but then again, he WAS a Naval Aviator). We have lost a good Man and a true American. Rest in Peace Sir, you've sure earned it.

Well, on the bright side, can't complain about 94. He had a hell of a run.

And wasn't he still skydiving up to a couple of years ago???

He devoted his life to public service. Can't ask for more than that.

– wabash slim

Which service some would denigrate with the silly label of "career politician." He's the only president I've even seen in person. I wasn't old enough to vote, but when he came to Appleton, WI, in 1992, I went to the airport to see him disembark and make a few remarks. My politics have changed over the years, but I never stopped liking and respecting GHWB and his ilk. RIP.

A man who truly loved country more than life. I have always admired him, except maybe for one of those top 5 that senojad mentioned. That was partly in jest. My respect, Sir. RIP.

See this? You'll get a lump in your throat.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12...

– Jopapa

Funny thing is, that's how I feel about the German Shepherd I had for 12 years....

The cartoon was fairly tear jerking but the photo of the his dog next to the casket really got to me.

I didn't agree with President Bush about everything but was overall satisfied with his presidency. But I never once questioned whether he was a good, honest and decent man. He was. Prayers for him and his family.

One of my favoritist jokes was one told by George, and Margaret Thatcher, in the early 1990s talking about the "peace dividend" at the end of the cold war.

George: "What California company has the highest number of highly trained defense department engineers dedicated to protecting the US from all military threats, foreign and domestic?"

Margaret: "Who?"

George: "Pizza Hut!"

I dunno, maybe I heard it on SNL.

.....still, things were better then, than now.

Considered to be the last great American President....

Interesting that during his term in office the “internet” launched.

Makes me wonder the true impact of the internet.

Considered to be the last great American President....

Interesting that during his term in office the “internet” launched.

Makes me wonder the true impact of the internet.

– Hipbone

He was well known for his correspondence by writing many letters, including a very sincere one to an incoming Bill Clinton.

The internet got going under his watch. He never tweeted, tho.

My heart goes out to Dubya but I just dont see what the media hoopla is all about.

Register Sign in to join the conversation