Miscellaneous Rumbles

Premier 71 photos

Here we go. Brought her into the house. Gotta let it warm up for a few days.

Back

Rear panel closeup

Knobs minus one. Believe it or not, my buddy stole one. Never fessed up or knows I know.

Inside top chassis

Left top speaker

Front right

Term controls

Instruments

Microphone

Awsome! Look like the Clarostat pots and Jensen speaker date this to 1957. Sound about right Dave? Nice that it’s an alnico magnet speaker and not a field coil. The tweeters look like P35’s. Lots available on ebay.

The fact that it’s original and untampered with is a big plus. The general layout already looks a lot like a Model 77.

Great amp. The cabinet is glorious in its present state.

I def need a handle. It was thick leather and broke off 2013 ish. I think the pots will need some love. Been a while since I plugged it in. Will see what happens tommorow. Gonna let it aclimate and dry out.

My dad bought it in Februaryish 58. Told me a Philadelphia orchestra guy had ordered the guitar and changed his mind. My grandparent had used this lil mom and pop music store for 30 years by 58. My dad saved his first pay checks and bought his mom a car, then later one for him, then the guitar, then he built a tiny waterski boat in the garage. (All wood). Then he met my mom, and me and my sister ruined all his fun.

Love the story behind this and I’m sure your pop would approve of seeing this amp come back into service. Amazing that you know the story all the way back to 1958.

I think you mentioned there was a photo of your dad playing it? I bet he had a great time

Love the story behind this and I’m sure your pop would approve of seeing this amp come back into service. Amazing that you know the story all the way back to 1958.

I think you mentioned there was a photo of your dad playing it? I bet he had a great time

I sent you pics on email Vince

It works almost perfectly. Never tried the tremelo circuit. I'm only gonna pull it apart to draw the schematic. Been a while since I did that, but I'm sure we can get it done. I took this amp to ol folks home for a few years as my pa/amp. It's all my dad ever had. He played mostly big band / Mitch miller kinda classics from the thirtys I think. I enjoy trying to play those too.

A decent cobbler could whip up a new handle for you fairly cheaply.

Some "friend"---tell him you want the knob back. You won't easily match the original. Offer him another in trade, or steal it back.

Pics are great mate, good to see the amp in action in its heyday with your pop seated behind it, hence the rear facing controls. Big band music reminds me of my folks too, my mum used to dance with the GIs stationed here in the war. Seem to remember her talking about Red Nickel and his Hot Pennies..a name that always amused me

Apparently it was Red Nichols and his Five Pennies

My dad also had a long neck gibson tenor that i lost in a fire in a sleeping car at the railroad i worked at when i was a teen. (Black river and western, ringoes nj. ) he tuned it the same way as a guitars thinner strings.

Rear panel detail. Rigidity and cloth kick in protection?

Mainly it was to stiffen the rear panel to keep it from vibrating and rattling. I'd expect the case is 3/8" or 1/2" ply at the most. Amp cabinets were made a lot like the luggage of the day. The cloth keeps the inside cleaner. Classic amp you have there!

Cabinet rattles can drive you crazy. One big vibrating panel will make the whole cab rattle and shake. Pretty clever approach to use a cloth dampener.

This was way before the dense Baltic Birch plywood used today.

If you’re planning on gluing down the loose shelf paper covering, you might gently peel it back at the corners where it’s loose first and get a look at the joinery.

Decided photos will be better than a stream. Bottom had feet missing. One foot was still there and crumbled when I took it off.

Register Sign in to join the conversation