Miscellaneous Rumbles

Peter Green has died at 73.

Very sorry to hear this. What a talent. RIP, Mr. Green.

RIP....PG had such a beautiful touch

The Pious Bird Of Good Omen will be playing all day. He and Danny are jamming somewhere tonight. They may even let Gary Moore sit in. Crap.

Oh man. What a long strange trip Mr Greenbaum had, the skinny Jewish Brit who channeled the blue soul of the American Delta and Chicago better than any of his peers, then wandered in his own wilderness for decades, losing his own soul. I like to think he found redemption in the music he made after being nursed back to health in the 90s.

Though it's documented in fewer minutes of released recordings, no guitar duo was ever more attuned than PG and Danny Kirwan; it's hard even to know who was playing what. Funny - in the musing, contemplative way - that the unfortunate Kirwan's story was even sadder than Peter's.

Together, their distinctive mood of elegaic repose, their haunting and noble melodies, their deliberate pace and their consummate tones summed up the pathos and the passion - and the grace - of what it is to be human.

It's as if they were haunted to the marrow by the final truth that we are born to die, then - during a few short years of creative productivity - brightened our place under the hovering shadow by finding the joy, the beauty, and the dignity of defying it. The musical results live on.

I know this Kirwan song came after Peter left the band, but it captures the mood he often conjured, and a Kirwan-Green lead would have been exquisite in it. The lyrics, taken from poet Rupert Brooke's 1910 poem, make a fitting epitaph for both.

When the white flame in us is gone
And we that lost the world's delight
Stiffen in darkness,
Left alone to crumble
In our separate light -
When your swift hair is quiet in death
And through the lips corruption thrusts
To still the labor of my breath...

When we are dust, when we are dust...

There's no relief, no light in the words - it's the music which proves the life worth the living.

That's the message Peter Green always sent through his fingers. RIP, PG.

“He has the sweetest tone I ever heard. He’s the only one who gave me the cold sweats.” - B.B. King

If that ain't definitive praise, I don't know what is.

Thanks for all the great music, Peter --- hope you're jammin' with the greats on the other side!

He was by far my favorite of the British blues cats.RIP

Put Oh Well on, full volume and open the windows everywhere

rip to the great peter green...besides his authentic blues tone he also had some hank marvin influence (see albatross)...unique player

the supernatural

rip pg

cheers

He started a band that still exists, although even Fleetwood said 'the end is in sight'.

So he outlived guitarists Weston, Welch, Kirwan - -- I think that was the RIP order. Even tho my favorite era was the early 70s iteration, (Welch Kirwan overlap) he had a great tone and feel and just left the scene too soon.

Peter Green died? Aw maaannn!! IMO Fleetwood Mac was never the same after he left the group. The other versions of the band have always made me feel a big fat MEH! musically.

It's too bad that he got so messed up from the bad LSD trip he went on, when The 'Mac was in Munich in 1970. Who knows what else he could have accomplished musically, if he hadn't had so many psychiatric problems because of that event. He recovered to an extent, and even started playing out sporadically again, starting in the 90s, but he never got back to the level he was at guitar-wise in 1970.

There's a great documentary that the BBC did about Peter Green, during his time in Fleetwood Mac called "Peter Green Man of The World." It's definitely worth watching if you're into Peter Green. Here's Jeremy Spencer's, and Mick Fleetwood's recollection from that documentary, of the Munich LSD Incident

Tim - you commented about Danny Kirwan. Yeah, he was a huge part of the Green-era Fleetwood Mac. It's too bad that he wound up being a casualty of the same Munich LSD incident as Peter Green did. Danny wound up as mentally messed up as Peter did, and left the band within a year or two of Peter. Nobody knows if Danny is even alive anymore. The last anybody has seen hide or hair of him was some years back - he was living as a homeless bum on the streets of London.

RIP Peter. In closing, this one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. Everybody says that Judas Priest's cover is better, but as a longtime Judas Priest fan (I've been listening to them since the late 70s [to borrow from the Barbara Mandrell song - I was metal, when metal wasn't cool]), I never cared for the song, until I heard the original, and far cooler version by Fleetwood Mac about 17 years later. According to Jeremy Spencer, it was one of the last songs that Peter helped write and record, when he was with the band.

We've lost another great one. We're at the time when we are losing so many of the musician that we, over 50 years of age, grew up listening to. Peter Green was one of those musicians, whose music spoke to our souls. RIP Peter Green, you will be missed.

Peter Green died? Aw maaannn!! IMO Fleetwood Mac was never the same after he left the group. The other versions of the band have always made me feel a big fat MEH! musically.

It's too bad that he got so messed up from the bad LSD trip he went on, when The 'Mac was in Munich in 1970. Who knows what else he could have accomplished musically, if he hadn't had so many psychiatric problems because of that event. He recovered to an extent, and even started playing out sporadically again, starting in the 90s, but he never got back to the level he was at guitar-wise in 1970.

There's a great documentary that the BBC did about Peter Green, during his time in Fleetwood Mac called "Peter Green Man of The World." It's definitely worth watching if you're into Peter Green. Here's Jeremy Spencer's, and Mick Fleetwood's recollection from that documentary, of the Munich LSD Incident

Tim - you commented about Danny Kirwan. Yeah, he was a huge part of the Green-era Fleetwood Mac. It's too bad that he wound up being a casualty of the same Munich LSD incident as Peter Green did. Danny wound up as mentally messed up as Peter did, and left the band within a year or two of Peter. Nobody knows if Danny is even alive anymore. The last anybody has seen hide or hair of him was some years back - he was living as a homeless bum on the streets of London.

RIP Peter. In closing, this one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. Everybody says that Judas Priest's cover is better, but as a longtime Judas Priest fan (I've been listening to them since the late 70s [to borrow from the Barbara Mandrell song - I was metal, when metal wasn't cool]), I never cared for the song, until I heard the original, and far cooler version by Fleetwood Mac about 17 years later. According to Jeremy Spencer, it was one of the last songs that Peter helped write and record, when he was with the band.

– EllenGtrGrl

Danny died 6-8-18. It’s the story of rock-n-roll. As Robbie Robertson put it, “Its a f**ckin impossible way of life”.

I'm a big fan but have not listened to his playing in a while....no reason why other than life and other music gets in the way. I wish his path would've been easier and free from mental illness. Bless his soul and may he rest in peace.

RIP Peter Green.

Peter Green was one of my all time favorite guitar players and song writers. Unfortunately, too many these days are not aware of who he was and his stature as one of the greats. Great player, great songwriter, Peter Green olev ha-shalom.

In the summer of '75, in a New Jersey beach town, I wandered into a record store to blow off some teen angst while on a family vacation. There, in the cutout bin, flipping past Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, I stumbled upon The Original Fleetwood Mac.

The four guys on the cover looked badass cool. I knew Green's work with the Bluesbreakers since I was by then a hard core John Mayall fan. And I knew FM's Then Play on and Bare Trees well enough. But what was this Original Fleetwood Mac? I had to find out.

The best records are the ones you buy from the gut.

I got it home and put it on. What I heard that hot summer afternoon changed everything — a blues so pure and so squarely in and of the idiom, it seemed to come from anywhere but England. Cut after cut jam packed with searing guitar lines, amazing songwriting and dynamic arrangements that rival any of the Chess Records sessions. It was old and new, authentic and British, epically sad, stirring, joyous, and fused with some sort of alchemy.

That will always be Peter Green to me. Blues alchemy.

RIP Peter, the best of the British bluesmen.

RIP to a great player, singer and writer.

Really appreciate Proteus' comments. I walked into a record store years ago and they were playing "Live in Boston". I was hooked. Eventually acquired what I think is a nearly complete collection of recordings spanning the Green/Kirwan years. The really special music for me happens once Danny was in the band. The Boston version of "World in Harmony" is a favorite. The "Albatross" from Shrine '69 moves me to tears when I hear their guitars together, knowing that neither reached their full potential nor lived normal lives thereafter.

Heard this news while I was in a hotel in Sault Ste. Marie ON, on the way to a week of camping and hiking.

I only started to really pay attention to Peter Green's era of FM in the last few years (partly what prompted me to get a Les Paul). Green's playing is so inspiring. Such great tone and touch, and wonderful phrasing - and great interplay with the other fantastic guitarist in the band, Danny Kirwan. R.I.P. Peter Green.

Register Sign in to join the conversation