Miscellaneous Rumbles

Peaceful journey Allan Holdsworth

Another virtuoso passes. I exchanged a few words of admiration with Mr Holdsworth over a Guiness before he went on stage many years ago. A very approachable gentle guy.

Peaceful travels.

I've seen the man's name here and there over the years, but I'll admit I've never actually listened to his music. This seems like as good a time as any to dive in... can anybody recommend an album to start with?

I've seen the man's name here and there over the years, but I'll admit I've never actually listened to his music. This seems like as good a time as any to dive in... can anybody recommend an album to start with?

– Otter

I´d go with "Metal Fatigue":

My first exposure to Allan Holdsworth was in the 70's with the New Tony Williams Lifetime's brilliant album "Believe It." This cut showcases Allan's chops, tone, and unique melodic sense.

And this EP under Allan's own name also features Jack Bruce on vocals, Jeff Berlin on bass and Chad Wackerman on drums.

He's often compared to John McLaughlin because of his speed and fluidity, but Allan has his own style too. I saw him live a few years ago with Terry Bozzio, Tony Levin, and Pat Mostellato, and Allan was the best part of the group. He'll be missed for sure.

Always my go-to Holdsworth record. The album unfolds like a story instead of singular unconnected compositions.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I've never been much for fusion, but I'm enjoying these today. Dude's got chops, that's for sure. RIP

Another virtuoso passes. I exchanged a few words of admiration with Mr Holdsworth over a Guiness before he went on stage many years ago. A very approachable gentle guy.

Peaceful travels.

– Powdog

Met him at NAMM some years back, very nice guy, certainly a virtuoso, always a pleasure to listen to.

His death was totally out of the blue. I thought he was in good health. He leave a big hole in the guitar world. R.I.P. Alan.

Register Sign in to join the conversation